Upgrading and need some help choosing

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Xp deus ,minelab safari, whites mx5, fisher f70 ,Garrett at pro, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm upgrading my detector I have the safari now and am looking at the xp deus and the ctx 3030 I mainly hunt old homes and churches and they are iron infested and the safari gets all the easy targets but I won't something to get in amongst the iron I'm leaning more towards the deus because of the fast recovery speed what are y'all's thoughts on the two thanks all GL and HH

Upvote 0

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right recovery speed is key... You cant go any higher than the 3030... But before you spend that kind of money,rent an AT PRO for a day or two... In pro mode they are super fast response speed....might save some money :)

OP
OP
Msdigger22

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right recovery speed is key... You cant go any higher than the 3030... But before you spend that kind of money,rent an AT PRO for a day or two... In pro mode they are super fast response speed....might save some money :)

I've had the at pro and it wouldn't touch the iron and from what I've read the ctx 3030 recovery speed is only a little better than the etrac which isn't great and it's almost double in price compared to the deus I just don't won't to spend that kind of money and not be happy

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree it would be terrible to spend approx 2500 dollars and not be thrilled with it :/
I hope you find what works for you...
Gary from Oregon

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac setup in 2 tone ferrous will do what your looking to do and save you $1500 over the CTX. The X-8 or X-5 coil are good choices. Also look at the Xterra 705 with a 6" digger coil if you like very lightweight machines and easy to operate.

OP
OP
Msdigger22

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac setup in 2 tone ferrous will do what your looking to do and save you $1500 over the CTX. The X-8 or X-5 coil are good choices. Also look at the Xterra 705 with a 6" digger coil if you like very lightweight machines and easy to operate.

I'm just worried about the recovery speed I have the safari and it's recovery speed is just not fast enough for the iron but I will defiantly watch a couple of videos on TTF on the etrac and see I've watched a video on the deus vs the ctx with two nails on top of a 2x4 about 4 or 5 inches apart and a coin below them in the middle and the ctx wouldn't see it but the deus did

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The etrac is only 1000 cheaper but whos counting :-)

OP
OP
Msdigger22

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The etrac is only 1000 cheaper but whos counting :-)

It's a 1000 cheaper than the ctx but almost the same price as the deus which has a way faster recovery than the etrac I have the safari I don't see fit to upgrade just to the etrac when all u would get would be a little more depth maybe and a better TID which I am a tone hunter and a VID doesn't mean a whole lot to me

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! another tone hunter :-) I have been digging for years and back in the day all we had was a needle that moved when you found something... No VDI's... You learned to hunt by sound only... I still today only dig by sound. I set the detector up then only dig by sound. You are the only person I have heard of that does this :-) I currently use and AT PRO with a 15" NEL Attack coil... I hope you find the perfect detector for you!!!
I am from Oregon but am at the Dallas Fortworth airport right now heading for home. Since I was close I toured the Garrett factory today. It was great!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using TTF on the Etrac or any number of tones the key is using very little or no disc to hear the iron and the good targets underneath or next to iron. This is common on the Xterra, Etrac and the CTX. I know you can watch 100's of different vids and be convinced of one machine being better than another in certain aspects. I wish he had backed the sens down a bit but still shows the ability to pick target out if iron.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F-75, which is known for it's fast recovery, and the AT Pro which also works well in iron especially with the 5" x 8" coil, however for me nothing touches my Etrac in Two Tone or Four Tone Ferrous for hunting iron infested sites. In TTF you will dig a lot less iron targets and good conductors will sound out from the iron. I run mine in Quick Mask with very little to no discrimination. Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread