Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excuse me because I am certain that this question has been asked a million times before, but my search-fu must be pretty bad, because I could not find a single thread concerning this. Beat me up, I deserve it, but...

Which one should I get?

I like to detect on beaches, in rivers, old homesites and cellar-holes, and around old houses for which I get permission. Will the Gold perform as well as the Pro for this? See, I am also hoping to take it to some gold-bearing streams, I'm just trying to see if the Gold will do what the Pro does.

Again - wail on me for being a repeatin' p.o.s. if you must! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you are asking about 2 machines from the same family...its the questions like " AT Pro or Minelab? Whats better?

Thats when all the hatred starts spewing out of people.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indeed. I'm torn between the two.

Also, does anyone have any idea where I can get the best deal? Kellyco seems to have the price padded a little bit to compensate for all the free garbage they bundle with it.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my take on it is if you are going prospecting don't bring a coin detector.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed. I'm torn between the two.

Also, does anyone have any idea where I can get the best deal? Kellyco seems to have the price padded a little bit to compensate for all the free garbage they bundle with it.

I bet someone like BigBart would help out, and not get all the junk that Kellyco sends...I see alot of people rave about him

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your going to try a salt water beach only the AT Pro will work and only if there is no black sand and still only marginally compared to a salt water machine. Bart will sell you one at a great price, just get the 5x8 coil because it will wind up being all you will use unless your hunting a large trash free field.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet someone like BigBart would help out, and not get all the junk that Kellyco sends...I see alot of people rave about him

Do you mean Bart at Big Boys Hobbies?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT GOLD will not work in salt environment...the AT PRO will work on mild beaches with no black sand. I believe the AT gold has a tresh hold. The AT pro is more of an all around detector and the AT gold is geared toward nugget hunting.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thank you all for some great advice. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new machine, but I'm short a few bucks. My wife is down in Marblehead visiting her sister and niece. She was feeling a little guilty leaving me stuck here, so maybe that guilt will help her open her purse a little when she comes back home on Thursday! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you'e only interested in those two detectors, you'll have to sit down and figure out what kind of detecting you will do the most. If it's coin hunting in the park or on the beach, the AT Pro is the better choice. If it nugget hunting, the At Gold would be the one.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I will get the AT Pro, and follow it up with a Sand Shark. I can use the Pro nugget-hunting the stream. It wont be as effective as the Gold, but it'll work. Here in NH, gold prospecting has a fairly small following (compared to other gold-producing states).

I'm thinking the Sand Shark will serve me well beach hunting, because I will be doing that much more than gold prospecting. Then I'll start saving up my clad finds to put towards an Excalibur!

This is the plan so far, and unless the lottery hits for me, I'm sticking to it! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread