Ghost towns

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I found 11 silver coins at a 12 acre 1963 park. I found 3 silver coins from a 3 acre 1964 park. So if you can find the exact year a neighborhood was created, maybe some pleasant surprises. The big 1930s park in Tucson was recently heavily renovated, so older coins might not be found anymore, depending on if they brought in fill dirt & or took the existing top foot of ground somewhere where the state archaeologist or some historical society checks it for goodies.

There are a great many people in Tucson that have been detecting for many years & may be good at using their $1,000+ detectors. In Tucson, some old parks have been destroyed because a potential new business wanted that exact spot only, so they would build a new park nearby in the old neighborhood.

There still might be some place in Tucson that could produce silver coins. Are your public schoolyards locked evenings & weekends? Do you dare ask someone if you can detect their yard? Tucson had over 5,000 people in 1890.

As for ghost towns, some could be in state or national parks (big trouble), & some watched over by a couple people who still live there, & might claim the whole town as theirs & say no detecting. Best might be semi-ghost towns, higher % of older coins, might still have a small rundown park or a vacant school. County Historical Societies may have ghost towns on web. Best wishes, George (MN)

Hell, I wouldn't waste my time at a park from the 1960s either. Most of the parks I go to have been researched and have been around since the 1930s-1940s---1950s at the latest. I did find a 1928 wheat at one of these parks so there's proof you CAN potentially find silver.

Oct 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been to a couple ghost towns in Cochise County AZ and have found some Minie Balls and military sniper shots. Have found though that the harder a GT is to find the better the relics. 😐

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread