Does anyone know what a $1 GOLD coin reads on an F75?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let y'all know, B.B. has spent 20+ years listening to tones only and it's just been the last few years that he now uses the F75.
Not that he should need this explanation just to ask a simple question.
I would post this question on General discussion where there's more traffic.
Maybe e-mail First Texas and ask someone there? A fellow like Woof! that comes here may know.
All I can tell you bud, is that it would give a nice soft tone on your 1266X :laughing7:
Cheers,
Dave.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This post is hilarious.

Dig everything and you won't miss a gold coin - DUH.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buddy. I disagree with the one guy saying there are not many gold coins out there..........how could anyone know that? Impossible. In my OPINION there were likely not many lost but I have no way of knowing how many. I am friends with a coin dealer here, one day when you are this way and have your detector we could go by there and he would let us run a couple of them under our coils to get an idea of what to expect. I have been wanting to run some under my Cortes too. I will still turn flips if and when I ever dig one :)

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey shane!! Saw Buck's original post and since I don't have a F75 can't really help you with the answer, but I do have one of the 1/10th of an once gold coin, about the size of a dime you guys are welcome to try if you wish!! Just PM me and I would be happy to let you beep it if it will be of any help!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There are not a lot of gold coins out there. But there may be enough for everyone to find at least one. How do you find gold coins? The same way you find nickels and gold rings and foil and pull tabs. It's so easy to understand. It cant get any simpler. One thing you can bet on. You cant find gold coins by numbers. Try it.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, lets all get out there and find a gold coin! I want everyone that has found a gold coin to speak up about it! I want Tom in Ca to make a comment (please)! I need a cold one.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold RINGS can ring up as just about anything. But let's put it this way, a nickel reads like a nickel. And I don't have to dig ten pounds of canslaw to get one. A coin will have a fairly consistent reading. I was just asking what that is, if anyone knew. I don't need a lesson on digging everything. Judging from some PM's from other members, I think I'd have no trouble picking up a $2.50 gold. Still no clue about a $1 gold though.

Jeez!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are not a lot of gold coins out there. But there may be enough for everyone to find at least one. How do you find gold coins? The same way you find nickels and gold rings and foil and pull tabs. It's so easy to understand. It cant get any simpler. One thing you can bet on. You cant find gold coins by numbers. Try it.

I could dig other coins by number if I wanted to, so why not? I even know that a half real will read consistently 60 on the F75, give or take a number, but a half dime will read 62. My latest 2 Reales read 80 consistently, never wavering. I knew it wasn't a silver quarter, because those read 83 on my F75. So I strongly suspected it was a 2R.

See, it's not hocus pocus? Do you dig earrings? How about a lead .22 bullet (NOT the casing--the bullet). How about a piece of can slaw the size of the nail on your little finger? Those are the types of readings I'm talking about here. And I think it is a fair question to ask if a $1 gold coin falls into that range on the VDI. You don't need to try to educate me on digging it all. You've been on here long enough to have seen the thousands of pounds of iron I've dug. I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape about me asking a question. If you don't know the answer, get off the thread. Simple as that. Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy. I disagree with the one guy saying there are not many gold coins out there..........how could anyone know that? Impossible. In my OPINION there were likely not many lost but I have no way of knowing how many. I am friends with a coin dealer here, one day when you are this way and have your detector we could go by there and he would let us run a couple of them under our coils to get an idea of what to expect. I have been wanting to run some under my Cortes too. I will still turn flips if and when I ever dig one :)

Cool man. Let's plan on doing that. IMO this thread is CLOSED.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay I still feel like a shmuck trying to argue my side, I go away now. But I gotta say, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever said, "Oh! this is a gold coin number!" and then went straight forth and dug a gold coin. Nope. The guys that find gold rings and gold coins and nickels and deep crap and foil and 22 shells and lead and pull tabs and can slaw and buttons and tokens and stuff dig the mid numbers, the mid tones. And the numbers of any one of these targets can mimic the numbers of any other, depending on conductivity, which depends on depth, and angle and a dozen other factors. Do you like numbers from air tests? That's okay, but dont bank on 'em. There are so many millions of trash and not-so-trash targets out there, that by law of averages, very many of them have the same numbers as gold coins. If each and everyone agreed that every gold coin out there, regardless of size, or depth, or minerlization, and many other things sounded a 55 or 46 or 33 or 44 or whatever, just go ahead and dig every target that everyone agrees is the magic number. You wont find jack squat.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
But I gotta say, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever said, "Oh! this is a gold coin number!" and then went straight forth and dug a gold coin. Nope.

I agree with this. I say "this is a gold coin" every time I get a signal, but it never is when I dig it up.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you know how many lost gold coins are "out there"? You have no way of knowing that. But if you insist that you know this perhaps you can tell me how many lost silver coins there are and how many pack studs and how many pull tabs? It would be a huge help to me.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with this. I say "this is a gold coin" every time I get a signal, but it never is when I dig it up.

Yeah, but how many times do you say "this is a clad dime" based on your VDI, and it is one? Probably a lot!

Just because gold coins are seldom found doesn't mean that they don't all hit around a certain range on the VDI. The range where they read isn't dependent on How Often they are dug. We KNOW what dimes read, cause we dig them up FREQUENTLY. What I want to know is what a $1 gold reads, to give me some information that I could only get from someone who has dug one, since they are NOT frequently dug. THATS why I was asking.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F75 reads "52" for the $2.50 gold piece and "28" for a $1.00 gold piece - laid on good 'ol terra firma clear dirt outdoor ground in a Mylar flip case (I don't air test as I don't seek flying coins). Have not dug either as yet.

Here's a reference chart of what various coins or object read on the display of the F75.

F75TDIScale.jpg

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might get to 100,000 posts before I dig a gold coin. Who knows! I'm trying to figure out what they read, so I don't LEAVE ONE IN A FIELD! Thought if I posted my question here it'd save me the expense of BUYING one to find out! I searched for about 30 minutes with the Tnet search feature and couldn't find an answer, which is more than many Tnet member do--but I still answer and try to help OTHER MEMBERS HERE when they ask questions that I have personally answered A HUNDRED TIMES. Since you want to come onto my post just to show your @$$, perhaps you can locate a post where someone dug a $1 gold and wrote IN THE POST what the VDI was on the coin. How many of YOUR 6,000 posts do YOU remember making? And how many of the TENS OF THOUSANDS of threads here on Tnet do YOU remember seeing? I'm allowed to post a question here about an item that I've never dug, and expect an honest, helpful reply, just the same as anyone else. So don't come onto my thread just to be insulting.
Turn your sensitivity down, your starting to false. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My F75 reads "52" for the $2.50 gold piece and "28" for a $1.00 gold piece - laid on good 'ol terra firma clear dirt outdoor ground in a Mylar flip case (I don't air test as I don't seek flying coins). Have not dug either as yet.

Here's a reference chart of what various coins or object read on the display of the F75.

View attachment 1041789
That chart will make him happy...THANK YOU.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buck, looking at your list of finds for this year alone, you should be able to tell us what a gold coin would ring up as. I am still waiting to find my first silver coin.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for being willing to swipe one under the coil for me, Charlie. I appreciate it! Looks like a $1 gold would still likely read in the 20s, so I'd be ok in a foil infested site to pass up signals that read in the teens on the first round.

Best Wishes,

Buck

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the $1 gold reads 24 or 26, the $2.50 reads 42 and the $5 reads 53 on the f75. The two different numbers on the $1, because there were two or three different ones minted. Also the $10 reads 62 and the $20 reads 69.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the $1 gold reads 24 or 26, the $2.50 reads 42 and the $5 reads 53 on the f75. The two different numbers on the $1, because there were two or three different ones minted. Also the $10 reads 62 and the $20 reads 69.

Thank you for the excellent information. Looks like most of the time $1 gold would be a diggable but foil or small lead signal, but should read in the 20s in the mild soil down here. $2.50 gold should read like aluminum or lead, and $5 higher on the aluminum scale. Thanks again!

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread