Question for fellow AT Pro users

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have only had the AT pro for a few days, but I have discovered something interesting: If I run my machine in Pro Zero mode with Iron Audio OFF and set iron at "00", I get all the same grunts as if I were to turn Iron Audio ON and set iron at "40". I was thinking about it tonight and tried both methods trying to detect a nickle over my wood floor (thats right, an iron nail every few inches)

What I found was that with Iron Audio "Off" and set at "00" not only did i hear grunts, but they were individual grunts for each nail I passed over. When I switched to Iron Audio "ON" and set iron at "40", i still got the grunts, but it sounded like a continuous buzz, as if the machine was not telling me about each nail individually.

I am very interested to hear what others have found or what settings you use in the field I am mostly doing cellar hole areas that have a lot of nails. I like to hear all the iron because otherwise anything that Garrett "notches out" still gives the user blips and chirps of a signal that are downright annoying. I figure if I hear it all I at least wont miss out on any sounds. Any ideas about iron audio conundrum?:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run Pro Zero with iron discrim at 40 then notch out up to 50. I do not want to dig foil, chunks of iron, horse shoes etc. I do not dig anything under 50 and it has to be repeatable. I know, I know I will someday miss that small gold ring that maybe will be worth $20.00 oh well... Its not worth my time to dig all of the foil and junk. But if it repeats 50 or above I dig it all. Bottle caps, pull tabs, coins, jewelry.... etc...

If you dig 500 pieces of foil this year trying to find a small gold ring or two... think about it, that is 500 holes you could have dug filled with coins & jewelry...etc

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you're hearing are the low tones.. Turn your iron audio on and you will hear the difference.
Those numbers correspond to conductivity it's not as cut and dry as many think oftentimes rusty nails can read very high... You can't just turn off the possibility of hearing any signals from iron.
The constant sound you were hearing with the iron audio on was probably from all the rebar in the slab that your house sits on.
The fact that it went away when you turned iron Audio off means it was working perfectly

Last edited:
OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually just went out into the field and got the same results; with iron audio off and set at 00 i was able to hear a penny come through mixed up with iron. when i switched it to iron audio on and set at 40, the high signal did come come through well at all. I dont know if my machine has a glitch or what. I guess I will just continue to use it with it off set at 00 as I am getting better results.

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you find out, I have the AT Pro also but really have been beach hunting mostly. Soon I will be getting more in depth but I have only been having beach fun so far.

Thanks

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just went out into the field and got the same results; with iron audio off and set at 00 i was able to hear a penny come through mixed up with iron. when i switched it to iron audio on and set at 40, the high signal did come come through well at all. I dont know if my machine has a glitch or what. I guess I will just continue to use it with it off set at 00 as I am getting better results.

That's because the iron was masking the signal from at least one direction.. With more experience you'll figure those things out.. If you don't want to ever dig trash you shouldn't really be metal detecting... Just sayin.. You need more experience is all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no problem digging trash. I think the fact that I am running my detector without anything notched out is a pretty good example of that...

darmentle

Jul 7, 2014
Redding
Detector(s) used
ForsGold+ ,Garrett AT Pro,Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sending my AT Pro back this week to get fixed seems like 8/10 of them have to go back to Garrett .

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have only had the AT pro for a few days, but I have discovered something interesting: If I run my machine in Pro Zero mode with Iron Audio OFF and set iron at "00", I get all the same grunts as if I were to turn Iron Audio ON and set iron at "40". I was thinking about it tonight and tried both methods trying to detect a nickle over my wood floor (thats right, an iron nail every few inches) What I found was that with Iron Audio "Off" and set at "00" not only did i hear grunts, but they were individual grunts for each nail I passed over. When I switched to Iron Audio "ON" and set iron at "40", i still got the grunts, but it sounded like a continuous buzz, as if the machine was not telling me about each nail individually. I am very interested to hear what others have found or what settings you use in the field I am mostly doing cellar hole areas that have a lot of nails. I like to hear all the iron because otherwise anything that Garrett "notches out" still gives the user blips and chirps of a signal that are downright annoying. I figure if I hear it all I at least wont miss out on any sounds. Any ideas about iron audio conundrum?:icon_scratch:

Did you ground balance when you did your test on the wood floor? I have not experienced what you have. I run pro zero, 35 in almost all areas I hunt. I've found that nails or other trash can jump around a bit and possibly above 35 just enough to make a sound, even if the display does not show it. With experience, you'll be able to get a pretty good feel for the foil items. I think you'll miss items you may want like earrings and small rings going any higher than 35. Any less and you'll dig till your arm falls off.

OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to go do some cellar holes today and will tryi it at 35. i had also heard that 33 is a good number. I think it matters where you are digging (ie an old site that has no foil or bottlecaps vs a new site that does). I will report back my results tonight. If i find gold bullion, you can find me as a banner post :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread