NEED HELP ASAP!!! Cen Tech Pinpointer--Replaced Switch and Now NO SOUND!!!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the switch in my Cen-Tech pinpointer just about died so before it died completely I went to Radio Shack and picked up a replacement switch, soldered it in with no problems and turned it on.

The light comes on but it's making no sound whatsoever. I didn't touch anything else, the little speaker is still hooked up just fine (or at least, it appears to be) but it's silent.

I need any and all suggestions or fixes. I'm going to my best spot early tomorrow and need this thing. I don't have time to run out to Harbor Freight and pick up another one, nor do I even want another one. Next time I'm getting a real pinpointer.

All help is greatly appreciated and time is of the essence.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured it out. The speaker is toast. The connection snapped off so low it can't even be soldered back together. Oh well, I hunt tomorrow with no pinpointer like I did before I got it.

I'll survive.
I always do.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not as if you weren't warned! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not as if you weren't warned! :tongue3:

Indeed I was. :)
But then again, we all have to learn some things the hard way. That way, we NEVER forget the lesson learned.

But I'm not giving up. Tomorrow I'll pick up a new buzzer for 3 bucks, solder it in and be on my way with my new fancy switch which allows me to either press and release or press and click into the "on" position. That way I have a handy, hands free LED flashlight as well. That'll come in handy now that the days are getting so much shorter.

Hey, this is now a custom, one of a kind pinpointing unit. I'm the only guy in the whole world who has one quite like it. I think that's kinda' cool.

But don't worry, I'll get a real pinpointer eventually but for now, this will just have to do. It does work, it's just that the switch that they put in that thing is the cheapest piece junk they could possibly get their hands on. It's like they actually went out of their way to make it crummier than it needed to be. The one I installed is actually pretty nice.

Once I rebuild it , it should be adequate for a while. Let's just hope the rest of the components hold up for a while. We'll see. As always, I'll remain optimistic. I fully expected (and planned) to modify this thing when I bought it.

I have to say, I hunted all day today with no pinpointer 'cause there was no time for a fix. Even though mine isn't very good, I definitely missed it now that I'm used to having it along. I did pretty good but it's definitely more time consuming and dirtier hunting without it. I fully intend to have it working and on my belt the very next time I hunt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread