idiggit2

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2012
West michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 Kellyco quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all hope you all are having some luck! Me a little,,, and who can tell me why my detector ACE 250, when it goes to a dollar signal silver in the all metal mode, and the sensitivity is set down three bars and for pinpointing has the same tone but when I dig the signal and find nothing but junk,, at our cabin that has been busy with people since 1917 where my family there had a business is hunted heavy by me and one target read silver dollar so I dig down at least a foot and find an old barrel ring,, a corroded flag pole top and also a like a heavy metal wheel to run a belt of some sort,,the targets are very deep and I get excited to see that signal pop up and find just junk, this has happened at least six times and it always has the high pitch tone then I dig but all has been junk, so I don't know if I should keep passing those signals up or keep wasting my time to find out what the heck is a foot down any advice would be great!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what is wrong with putting screens on detectors. The detector only reports on the conductivity of the target and not what it really is. A object larger than a coin may have rust which also increases it's tone because of conductivity. All detectors do this. Reason to have a good pair of headphones an learn the sounds it makes. Cover the screen with duct tape.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Load signals in an area where there's a lot of deep trash are frustrating and the nature of the beast. Next time try lifting coil 4-6 inches and see if the tone changes.
If it stays loud, it's probably large trash. "Those are probably not the gold bars of your dreams" (author unknown) HH

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 250 does the same thing, rusted metal has the same conductivity as silver. It's just part of the excitement and the reason why you need to dig everything up.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large rusted objects that are deep have an even bigger halo that detectors love. They tend to sound off loud, and sound like a high conductive target. They also have a large pin point area.
Like RustyGunn said, try lifting your coil and see if it changes.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors do that. A coin will pinpoint in a tighter area than a large object. Two or three coins lying close to each other will pinpoint as a large target too, so you really have to dig it to know. You have to decide for your self how much digging your willing to do. If I was at a trashy area and kept digging trash that sounded good, I might start leaving the targets that pinpointed big and dig only the tight pinpoints. At an area without many targets I will dig them all. You just have to decide whats right for you. You will miss some good targets by not digging it all but how many good targets will miss by spending all your time digging trash? I just do what ever I fell like doing at the time and have fun.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my first outing with my ACE 250...EVERY target was a half dollar or dollar coin....One way i learned was to raise the coil 8"s or so, and if its still going off, its something big in the ground. Once you get a hang of what is trash and what is good, you will see the differences in the way the detector reacts....Like if its giving you a signal at 6 inches, and then you pinpoint it and it shows 2 inches or so...somthing big.

I also noticed if i got a signal that was only reading 2 inches and I dont see it on the ground, usally something big. Even shallow coins will bounce from 2-4 Inches...in my expericance, even a surface coins will bounce 2-4"

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As digging-N-Dumps said, raising the coil will help you determine if it's a big target. A detector will sound off higher in the scale on a large item. We all dig junk from time to time, sometimes you have more than one item under the coil.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sometimes you have something good being masked, I dug quite a few rusty items today even though i was certain that was what they were even though they gave off those "better" readings. the good thing is once you have dug it up, it ain't in the ground to bother you no more. yep, it can get really frustrating but join the club, its part of how a lot of those cool things get found. you want gold, you gotta dig the trash and some of the trash hits like silver... just the way it is

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with all the other answers...I had a BH Pioneer 505 with similar screen readings to an Ace 250...would get tons of " $1 hits" according to the screen...they were almost always crushed aluminum cans...not even necessarily rusted....I eventually called KellyCo (where I bought it) and talked to a tech about whether I could do anything different to get a more reliable signal...basically "nope" was his answer...he suggested the raising of the coil to give you a better idea as to whether it was a larger , compressed metal item than a coin, but other than that, you just dig it if you want to make sure....it is, as mentioned by others, just part of the game...

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own a Garrett, but I have had that problem too with my Fisher. Raising the coil is good for large targets. I also have that happen with bottle caps. Can be really frustrating. I was taught that on smaller targets like these, to lift my coil a couple inches and nudge the target with the edge of my coil. Not over the target, but nudge the edge of the signal. It will give a iron grunt if a bottle cap, but will give a nice high tone if it is a coin. Don't know if it works on Garrett, but you might give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread