Please tell me im not the only idiot who destroys my finds

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
What's the first thing I do when I find a decent old coin? I destroy it... Uuuhhggggg. I get all excited and think that if I just remove enough crud to see it more clearly... Next thing you know I lose the date n details. Luckily it hasn't been coins worth anything, but they are my special find. Today I found a 1910 penny n with ketchup made it a turquoise mess. So I thought if I use soap n water n just scrub alittle.. Nope.. If I just do a quick electrolysis dip.. Then yeah I can totally destroy it:(. I did this with a silver 1800's coin before to:/ and some others .
So I stop doing this to my coins , what is the proper protocol , so that you can make the details clear enough to try to reAd it .

Upvote 0

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOOONG soak in distilled water and a soft make-up brush.. Or I use instant potatoes and check often and use the soft brush until you like it...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about finding my ONLY silver dollar... 1888.... in perfect condition EXCEPT a digger gouge right across the obverse! OUCH! TTC

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the first thing I do when I find a decent old coin? I destroy it... Uuuhhggggg. I get all excited and think that if I just remove enough crud to see it more clearly... Next thing you know I lose the date n details. Luckily it hasn't been coins worth anything, but they are my special find. Today I found a 1910 penny n with ketchup made it a turquoise mess. So I thought if I use soap n water n just scrub alittle.. Nope.. If I just do a quick electrolysis dip.. Then yeah I can totally destroy it:(. I did this with a silver 1800's coin before to:/ and some others .
So I stop doing this to my coins , what is the proper protocol , so that you can make the details clear enough to try to reAd it .

Everyone has done that. The team searching for Jesse James treasure found a Gold coin. I think in a mason jar they broke while digging. Then with camera rolling, the coin covered in sand, the guy rubs it clean. Rubbing sand on a nice gold coin to see the date. Geez.... probably degraded the coin by a lot.

MM even experts can't know everything. I mostly find iron so cleaning isn't a big deal with me. But researching how to clean all depends. How clean is good enough. What is too much. And for me, so what. It's my coin and I like it the way it is. Local coin dealer want's it as-is. My friends tumble their coins. Display your coins and no one will have a clue about how it looks. Instead they will want to go on a hunt with you! Good job MM

Kagain123

Greenie
Jul 8, 2014
Roswell, nm
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2/ Garrett At-Pro/xp-deus 9"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will use the hot peroxide method on wheats and other 20th century copper coins. Silver usually comes out rather nice (though I like the black look on em sometimes)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that. Most of the time these coins are really destroyed by corrosion whether I clean them or not, so I only do it when it gives me a chance at reading a date. Otherwise, I just leave them alone.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Everyone has done that. The team searching for Jesse James treasure found a Gold coin. I think in a mason jar they broke while digging. Then with camera rolling, the coin covered in sand, the guy rubs it clean. Rubbing sand on a nice gold coin to see the date. Geez.... probably degraded the coin by a lot. MM even experts can't know everything. I mostly find iron so cleaning isn't a big deal with me. But researching how to clean all depends. How clean is good enough. What is too much. And for me, so what. It's my coin and I like it the way it is. Local coin dealer want's it as-is. My friends tumble their coins. Display your coins and no one will have a clue about how it looks. Instead they will want to go on a hunt with you! Good job MM
Do you purposely look for old iron? A lot if time people avoid it, it's what I like the best

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I will use the hot peroxide method on wheats and other 20th century copper coins. Silver usually comes out rather nice (though I like the black look on em sometimes)
Hot peroxide ? Never heard that. Ketchup on my copper just turns it awful

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over cleaned more than a few coins myself! Fortunately not any key dates/mint marks! Have found hot peroxide to be a very mild/gentle way to get rid of dirt and light corrosion. I heat some peroxide in a small glass container (more times than not, about 30-45 seconds in the microwave, never more than 1 minute) then drop in the coin, and after it stops "bubbling" or gets cold, or both, I give it a light brushing with a soft or medium bristle toothbrush under running water. I dry with a soft cloth, then soak in virgin olive oil for quite some time (I have let some set in olive oil for weeks). When coin is removed from the olive oil, I rub excess oil off with a soft cloth. This seems to work well for me. I agree with SuzanMN, some coins are just bad to begin with from corrosion, and sometimes cleaning (especially anything harsh) just makes them worse. HH

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey there,long time no see. Try a little nose grease (I'm serious) to bring out the details in that coin. Silver usually requires nothing ,sometimes the coins have great detail,other times not. I have a half bald headed 1916 Mercury dime but she is my oldest coin to date.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanna say you're not alone and the reason why ketchup ruined your copper is because it's the acid in ketchup that does the work... acid and copper do not do well together.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot peroxide ? Never heard that. Ketchup on my copper just turns it awful

Hot peroxide on a bronze indian head works really well.
Heat it in a popuri heater drop in the coin, wait about 5 minutes and gently scratch off the crud with a toothpick, repeat till clean. Wash with water, soak in water over night, and coat with vaseline.
1901IHheads.jpg
1901IHtails.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you purposely look for old iron? A lot if time people avoid it, it's what I like the best
People that avoid iron really don't have a CLUE as to what potential is under their feet! This is mostly found in the "clad clowns" that only want to see "numbers" in their coin purse. Iron (old rusty stuff) means old settlements, activity, or dump locations. Case in point... I hunted an old road across a lady friend's 80 acres in CA. I found two horse shoes and one mule shoe. These are iron, of course. Junk to some, relics to others. I then found a chimney "stack" (iron tube). I "backed off" to realize that the clearing was an old settlement cleared for old homes. A check with locals found the road to be used during the "Rush" days. I found the perimeter of at least two homes. One was so "hidden" in the grass, I didn't see it till I cut the grass. (cutting the grass at old sites means add a weedeater to your relic hunting tools) That homestead produced 4 long nails , all bent in exactly the same way. They were used to hang hides in the doorway to keep out the cold (no doors). That home had a grave nearby. A small one. Possibly a child's. Just up the hill from it I found metal fencing forming a small corral. I found a calf weaning collar there. LOTS of poison oak there so no more fooling around up there! There are real GOOD reasons to be looking for iron. (Ouch, my two typing fingers are blistered) TTC

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope!...My dumbazzz soaked a coin in Lemon Juice before...didnt even look like a coin when I got it out like 3 days later..Now I use Olive oil, it works WAAAAAY better than I would ever expect

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no expert by no means, but if its old and looks to be a key date it goes in olive oil, soak for a few months then wipe off with a soft towel ( like u already read) i do alot of fresh water huntings so the silver i find is completely black and crusty i use foil and baking soda boiling to get the tarnish off, then mother's metal polish( hey its my treasure and i like it shiney : ).... common wheats go in the rock tumbler with fishtank gravel before they join their brothern in an old atlas mason jar thats my method may not be used by the smithsonian but it works for me.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there and done that too. Have not had bad luck with electrolosis at all? Are you using something other than a 9v source? I've nicked a ring or 2 with the scoop....even broke a 10k ring and lost half of it...with the detector in hand.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
People that avoid iron really don't have a CLUE as to what potential is under their feet! This is mostly found in the "clad clowns" that only want to see "numbers" in their coin purse. Iron (old rusty stuff) means old settlements, activity, or dump locations. Case in point... I hunted an old road across a lady friend's 80 acres in CA. I found two horse shoes and one mule shoe. These are iron, of course. Junk to some, relics to others. I then found a chimney "stack" (iron tube). I "backed off" to realize that the clearing was an old settlement cleared for old homes. A check with locals found the road to be used during the "Rush" days. I found the perimeter of at least two homes. One was so "hidden" in the grass, I didn't see it till I cut the grass. (cutting the grass at old sites means add a weedeater to your relic hunting tools) That homestead produced 4 long nails , all bent in exactly the same way. They were used to hang hides in the doorway to keep out the cold (no doors). That home had a grave nearby. A small one. Possibly a child's. Just up the hill from it I found metal fencing forming a small corral. I found a calf weaning collar there. LOTS of poison oak there so no more fooling around up there! There are real GOOD reasons to be looking for iron. (Ouch, my two typing fingers are blistered) TTC
I usually start with the coin range at a new site but quickly bore of not seeing that orange dirt that surrounds iron. A coin kinda just flicks out the ground, but I find nothing more exciting than see a but of some heavy hand forged iron n having to carefully pick around it , trying to figure out what it's gonna be. :)

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Hey there,long time no see. Try a little nose grease (I'm serious) to bring out the details in that coin. Silver usually requires nothing ,sometimes the coins have great detail,other times not. I have a half bald headed 1916 Mercury dime but she is my oldest coin to date.
Hi Coily! I've licked the coins( after I look around to make sure nobody is gonna see me !) to try to see the date , but never rubbed my nose on one... Yet! Lol. You mean actually the grease from your nose? I think I got more on my forehead ...:)

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
image-4005514204.jpg After reading thread , I went back to my old coins I thought I destroyed ... And some thick black oily crust had built up on this 1883 coin.. Some sort of tarnish from something that I had put in it. It pushed it off and it came out clearer than when I found it last year:)

image-683956836.jpg

And with alittle oil:)

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MissIron.... Please take the ring off as it looks like it is about to fall off. You will find MANY rings. No sense in letting some one find YOURS! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread