Down in a Well

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I crawled down in my neighbors 200 yr old, hand dug well tonight. I thought there had to be some coins, that people over the years, had thrown down in there. The bottom had a lot of soft, sticky, sandy clay like silt in it. I tossed in a penny just to make sure it would read under water. Worked fine. Then I started stomping around, detecting. I was getting scattered and jumpy signals. After a couple of minutes, I'm sure I stepped on the penny by now. I was unable to find this penny? Is there something I don't know about silt, clay, ect? Could there be something with the dirt that's causing bad signal reads? I know there has to be some coins in this thing.

Upvote 0

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I crawled down in my neighbors 200 yr old, hand dug well tonight. I thought there had to be some coins, that people over the years, had thrown down in there. The bottom had a lot of soft, sticky, sandy clay like silt in it. I tossed in a penny just to make sure it would read under water. Worked fine. Then I started stomping around, detecting. I was getting scattered and jumpy signals. After a couple of minutes, I'm sure I stepped on the penny by now. I was unable to find this penny? Is there something I don't know about silt, clay, ect? Could there be something with the dirt that's causing bad signal reads? I know there has to be some coins in this thing.
Wasnt this posted yesterday? Or is this another perminition due to my lucid dreaming? :o

:). I hope you find your answer

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put it on the Garrett section, but only received 1 reply. I was hoping someone has tried this before.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will not find many people that will or have descended into old hand dug wells which is probably why you didn't get much in the way of responses. Couldn't get me to go down one. I grew up around quite a few old wells, and most had the walls cave in at some time in the past. Since you did get to the bottom and back out, I take it the well walls have held up. Hope its safe for your sake. As for the silt, all wells silt up over time, hand dug or drilled, and occasionally need to be cleaned out. No telling how deep your silt layer is so targets could be anywhere from the surface to many feet deep. Also, it is amazing the junk that went down old wells, particularly after the land owner quit using it for potable water. I have seen them almost filled with farm junk. Best way to search for targets in this situation would be to set up a screen on the surface and just take a bucket of silt at a time and screen it. Would require a buddy on the surface to do the screening and one in the hole to fill buckets. Leave the detector at home. Also, depending on the depth, clean air can be a problem. CO2 can build up in the bottom from your breath which can be dangerous to say the least. Be careful.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to help you out on this one...Good luck....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, set up a fan for ventilation and a good winch up top to pull you out in a hurry if needed.

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did take a gas meter down to check, and everything read negative, so I'm good there. As for the well collapsing, I'll say a little prayer.

ContinentalClint

Sep 10, 2013
Southeast MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done the same thing! However the well I went down into was filled with rocks and dirt, probably to keep people and animals from falling down into it. I built a pulley system and pulled out the rocks until the well was 18 feet deep. That's when I hit the water line, and the well would fill up faster than I could pump it. I think I was pretty close to the bottom but I guess I'll never know. I wasn't getting any signals on the detector. My advice would be to fill up buckets of silt until you can't dig any more. That way you won't miss anything. Then once you've done that, sift it and scan it with the detector. There's bound to be stuff in there. Good luck!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be to much of a chance for me to take .. I want to live a little longer .. A large Cache is not worth my life let alone a few coins … I don't live on the edge i always put safety first..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread