Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it' Remember the land was there before the photo.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I can't imagine the DOT would have an issue with me hunting it. There is a private road right beside it and I figured for sure the same people owned the lot. I was glad to see they don't!

It's a little over grown right now so maybe when it gets colder the weeds will be more manageable.

Thanks again.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When a busy body calls the popo You can drop the "I talked to the guy at the DOT and its all good" line. Happy Hunting!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't be a wuss . Do it . Don't be a victim of the "no one cared till you asked" psychology . ;)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is not posted... go for it. Dig neatly, so if anybody shows up, there are not a bunch of "gopher holes" all over the place.

Unfortunately, sometimes asking is the quickest way to get a "no". GL&HH.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go at a low traffic time! Early weekday mornings or late weekday afternoons.

Tall weeds do suck! I have a few sites that I'm waiting until this winter to hunt just for that very reason.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt it, I only ask permission when there are people living there...Ive only been run off of maybe 3 places out of the 100+ i have just hunted.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other than the weeds, the other negative is its location. It's on a busy road and close to an on/off ramp to a highway. It's also right beside a "rental home" development with tons of houses. If fact, I will probably have to park in their clubhouse parking lot. I don't usually like to detect with eyes on me, but I'll just have to bite the bullet in this case.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hunt it at night then. What someone doesn't see won't bother them .

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I say go for it! Sounds like a lot i hit today. The first hour I was nervous that someone might say something but then I ended up working it all day. The only thing that i hated was all the traffic didn't let me hear the tones that well, i don't use the headphones because I am always paranoid of someone creeping up on me.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Old torn down homesites could be full of nails and such. Be prepared. But if it had a home there at one time, it's worth it. Don't forget to go around large trees. People buried caches around them, and there was usually a tree swing too. Look for an area that may have had an out building too.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Overall its a pretty small lot. There are still a few trees on it that look old. Not really big, just old looking. lol They are what originally got my attention.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Overall its a pretty small lot. There are still a few trees on it that look old. Not really big, just old looking. lol They are what originally got my attention.

3 days and you still haven't hit it yet? Get out there and send us some pics!!! :)

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, my plan was to wait until it got colder to see if that might help with the weeds, but I had a little time so I stopped by there today for a short hunt. I didn't have any issues parking in the clubhouse area next door.

Unfortunately, only a small % of the lot was hunt-able. Weeds and grass were too tall and thick. There were a few area near some trees that I was able to detect, but didn't find anything. I think even when it gets cold the weeds and grass that are there will still be too thick. I'm trying to decide if I can drive my mower the 1.5 miles and cut it all down. :laughing7:

Maybe I can find somebody that does yard work and pay them to mow it for me. Is it against the law to mow a lot that isn't mine? :laughing3: Or maybe I'll call the DOT and complain about the "overgrown" lot and ask them to mow it. >:D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread