Help Picking a Detector

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought a Titan 1000xd for $50 off Craigslist to give metal detecting a shot. And I must say, I am rather enjoying myself... So with Christmas coming, and me having a pretty good Santa, I'm wanting to figure out a nice detector I can ask for. The Titan has been working pretty well for me, but there are a few things about it I wish we different... For one, the sensitivity and discriminate have preset options (4 each). While that works ok, I am a control freak, and like the idea of having greater control over those settings. Next, it only give 3 "readings" for signals... trash/small gold, gold/pulltabs/nickles and silver/coins. I've read some people posting about only digging signals over 47 or something, so I am guessing that there are machines out there that give a numeric read out of the conductivity of the object. For the moment, I am digging all signals, but I would like to get to a point where I can start to get a better idea of what I might find BEFORE I start digging. Most of my detecting is in the dirt, but there are a few freshwater beaches nearby that it would be nice to be able to go to. I already hit one and seemed to have issues with what I think is the ground balance near the water (good amount of black sand). I don't know if that is something that having great control over the sensitivity would address, or if I need/want ground balance control as well.

I've tried doing research on here and on the web, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the options...

So to summarize...
Dirt/fresh water beaches (maybe some nugget shooting if possible, but not a requirement)
Great sensitivity/discriminate/ground balance control
More detailed readout of signals
And looking for something in the $300 range... and used is fine by me

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread