verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Additionally, the larger piece weighs about 5 ounces, the smaller one on the right is about 3 ounces, and the black piece on the top is .8 oz. these were found on a very old piece of property that was farmland in the 1800s. There was a log cabin nearby in the late 1800s. I went through about 2-3 inches of good black topsoil and then hit clay. Typical digging around here. There was also broken glass in the hole. The metal was very weird. I decided to wash it, and the smaller piece was making a hissing noise, as if there was chemical reaction when it was in water.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
It's probably some old lead if it's that heavy. Often used around chimneys or flashing in old homesteads.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Babbitt material seems like the most likely answer. More questions arise. How would this material be deposited where I found it? Way back when, there were no homes that were that close, with the exception of the log cabin and there was a coal mine directly below and the mine opening was also nearby. Perhaps the broken glass and the Babbit were from an old tractor or something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread