My winter (silver) finds.

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys.
It is too hot and dry around my parts at the moment, and the pollen is killing me.
So I have begun to go through my finds and document them.

I'm still in my virgin year of detecting and it took me a couple of months to learn the ropes, and find my first silver, but since That first silver coin I've been hooked.

Here's my total silver saves for the year so far, all together for the first time.

image.jpg

77 coins in total.
I'm not 100% sure on the cross, it's appears to be low percentage silver with pitting.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Still waiting on my first silver coin, but I know I'm getting there...

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just 77? :) Hehh :thumbsup: Only the tip of the ice berg~ well heat wave as its getting summer down there. Trade ya~ getting cool here and no silver this year. Picking up any coppers?

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I have been at it about 10 months and have only found 9 silvers coins. (1 Washington quarter and the rest Mercs and Rosies) No wonder I don't find many. You got them all. lol j/k

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The dudes in the 70's and 80's wiped out most of the silver. But I'm not angry about it. Who am I kidding? LOL

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Australia's pre-decimal coinage is always a pleasure to find. Unlike here in America the ozzies didn't go hog wild on detecting back during the silver craze that depleted a lot of our hidden treasures. Three pence, ten pence, shilling and florins can crop up pretty regularly in their back yards :) Their large copper pennies and smaller decimal era pennies *which were abandoned and are in abundance* are fun finds too. Around the cities lots of forien coinages can be found to from all over the world and Victorian era coinage from Britain is a treat. I've found peso's, yen, british pounds and large cents, euro's, lyra and various coins from central asia and new Zealand while detecting there as I warm up and cool down from prospecting trips.
The beaches are the only area outside the gold fields I've ever encountered other detectorists. They are pretty darn respectful of their open spaces and use them a lot so you have to be very respectful if your going to go digging in their turf.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an incredible haul of silver! Considering it is your first year, it is even more incredible! Great job!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pile of silver you got there. Looks like you have some good weight.
Congrats.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that is a great first yr. I am lucky to find 5 to 10 pieces a yr.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Australia's pre-decimal coinage is always a pleasure to find. Unlike here in America the ozzies didn't go hog wild on detecting back during the silver craze that depleted a lot of our hidden treasures. Three pence, ten pence, shilling and florins can crop up pretty regularly in their back yards :) Their large copper pennies and smaller decimal era pennies *which were abandoned and are in abundance* are fun finds too. Around the cities lots of forien coinages can be found to from all over the world and Victorian era coinage from Britain is a treat. I've found peso's, yen, british pounds and large cents, euro's, lyra and various coins from central asia and new Zealand while detecting there as I warm up and cool down from prospecting trips.
The beaches are the only area outside the gold fields I've ever encountered other detectorists. They are pretty darn respectful of their open spaces and use them a lot so you have to be very respectful if your going to go digging in their turf.

I was wondering if they had many detectorists and you pretty much summed it up for me.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) They are there and just as canny as we are here with their stealth suits. I've a huge regard for our neighbors down under.

OP
OP
DigginDownUnder

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I have dug many a hole and done a fair bit of driving to find these.

And yes DDancer I have about 160 copper pre-decimal coins, and about the same in 1&2 cent coins.
image.jpg

I'm now up to 92 silver coins, after a couple more successful hunts.

I found these yesterday.
image.jpg

8 threepence's 2 sixpence and one nasty little two cent. I couldn't believe ratio of silver to copper this site was producing. Can't wait to hit it again when I get a chance.

And I found a couple more florins over the weekend.

image.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: You've got a good ratio going on that site :) Save some for me eh? I'll be down directly~ well eventually *grin*

I hit small park in Perth and pulled 60 large cents with only a dozen post decimal pennies and no silver. The conditions from site to site vary pretty dramatically in my opinion because at a larger nearby park I hit 4 florins a dozen 3 pence and no copper at all~ however it was a pretty trashed place with more than a few people camping out under the trees. Going down to another large sports field/park I pulled a couple more florins and some 50c and 20c but by and large I was hitting the lost abo's~ got me 26 in just 2 hours and 60 for two days. No old coins besides the florins though. Figure the area had been resodded within the last 5 years or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread