barr75a

Dec 31, 2013
Dowagiac MI
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Minelab pro-find 25
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys. Just got permission for a old 60 acre farm. The home and barns burnt down about 10 years ago. This place was cleaned up by some scrappers with large equipment. I just know theres good stuff there but I cant begin to imagine how much junk is in the ground. Whats the best way to detect a place like this? All I have is my delta 4000 and pro find 25 for equipment. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Two old sayings apply: One man's trash is another man's treasure, and Bite the bullet!
Frank five star.png

OP
OP
barr75a

barr75a

Dec 31, 2013
Dowagiac MI
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Minelab pro-find 25
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very true! Im thinking mark off 20' squares, and just work them clean, move onto the next square. So on, so on. Going to clean the basement of the old house out so I can get to the dirt floor. Gotta be some good stuff in there!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I usually start with the spots that usually offer the most and best finds rather than waste my time gridding 'dead spots'.
-the yard just in front or back of the house location. a high use area.
-walkways to the out buildings. look close at the ground for these 'low' areas.
-the area around the well and outhouse.

Now for cache locations:
Look near prominent objects like large rocks, big trees or stumps, unusual low spots, etc.

Good luck, Frank five star.png
111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
barr75a

barr75a

Dec 31, 2013
Dowagiac MI
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Minelab pro-find 25
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok sounds like a great plan. Im really new to this so every bit of info I can gather is a huge help. Thanks so much!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true! Im thinking mark off 20' squares, and just work them clean, move onto the next square. So on, so on. Going to clean the basement of the old house out so I can get to the dirt floor. Gotta be some good stuff in there!
That's the way I'd do it too. I think I'd start with a big, strong magnet or three, attached to a garden rake to remove as much iron junk as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread