Pros Vs. Cons of buying a used MD?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok for the last 10 years i have been using a Walmart purchased $200 Bounty Hunter MD. It's seen better days. The battery connector broke on the 9volt and I literally have gum case wrapper tin foil making the contact all pressed tight.

Needless to say it's time for a new detector. Another thread here many people gave me some great recommendations on detectors for the beach which can go into water.

Now my question is...is there a down side to buying a used detector on Craig's or eBay? My conscience has me wondering if i would have bought a lemon that gives me wacky readings.
Yet buying second hand seems to be a good way to save money.

What would everyone's thoughts and or experiences be on buying used MD's?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Upvote 0

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a used whites mxt about 5 years ago no problems yet.I think it would be better buying off a dealer they would check it out for you.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen people posting how their new machines gives whacky signals right out of the box. If you were to buy used, I would do it from someone like Barts at Big Boy hobbies, or someone with a reputation on here.

Or if its from CL, just try it out a little when you meet the guy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The con, and it's a big one, if you buy used and have no warranty and on day 1 if you take it in the water and it leaks you're out both the detector and money. For non water units I don't know what most companies are charging for major repairs, but can say for the Explorer and E-trac the bill can get run up to to a high % of what the damn thing cost.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many questions any buyer will have learning a new to them detector!
When one buys used, they will be going "is this working the way it's supposed to"?
With a new unit you have the luxury of a warranty from one year to forever on some models.

With that said, I bought a used Excalibur ll on eBay and got "lucky"! The detector, after I became familiar with it, was perfect!
But I had so many questions about its performance that I wasted time concerning myself with did I get a good detector or not?

My reccomendation is, buy new or at least as close to new/unused as possible! I did buy used and got lucky!
Best of Luck with whatever you decide!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought at least 10 used detectors from the forums and all worked as they should.

Pay using PayPal or CC so you have recourse if there is issue. (Do not use PayPal gift.)

Get the sellers address and phone number and verify it is legit.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought used with good luck also. I'd recommend it if the deal is good enough and you have some experience with that type of detector. If you're a newbie, I'd buy from a reputable dealer that can offer you a warranty and give you some operation tips.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pro is it won't be obsolete in six months like a new one (since it's already obsolete)
Price should be attractive.
Reviews are out there to help you judge performance.

Cons are it could have been abused (hot car, rain, banged around, dropped) and have broken or malfunctioning features.
Out of warranty if it does crap out.
There are some scams and you're possibly buying from a total unknown who may be intentionally misrepresenting the product. Watch for alarm statements like: "I don't know anything about detectors . . . "Have never turned it on so I don't know . . . "Worked last time it was used . . . "

I bought my Minelab Musketeer used with two coils, covers, rain cover, shoulder pack, recharger, NiCads and alkaline trays. Never has had a lick of trouble. So i feel I got a great deal.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have purchased 10 - 12 used detectors from Ebay, the forums etc. and have been fortunate enough to have had no problems. That said, I made sure that the price I was paying left a bit of wiggle room if I would have had to send one in for repair. The most expensive detector I bought from a friend so it was a known quality and tried it before bought.
luvsdux

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In general, I shy away from used electronics but I saw a MD deal on here I couldn't pass up. It turned out great so I would 100% buy from the original owner again on the forum. On EBay or Craig's, I'd be worried how many hands it passed through. I take care of my electronics but unfortunately not all people do.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a minelab explorer 2 off ebay 8 years ago and it still operates like a charm and only within the last month the power button has been having some issues. I plan on using ebay again for the next one which i fear is sooner than later. Explorer 2's are only around 400 bucks now on ebay, yippy!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Diggin-N-Dumps about buying from a vendor like Bart at Big Boys Hobbies or another supporting vendor on Tnet. I bought a new but never used 2nd hand detector from a vendor on here. I was lucky it was still in the box and wrapped. It had never been turned on. The 1st owner read the book and decided it was to much for him so he traded it in on a less complex detector. The vendor I bought it from stripped the $300 head phones from it and still sold it to me 30% below retail without headphones. I saved $400

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I bought both my detectors used. They were both in like new condition and only a couple of years old. Bought dfx here and tesoro on ebay. Its a way to get more bang for your buck. Just stick to detectors that are lightly used and newer and you should be ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions