Does some old glass create false MD readings?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting an old secluded dump in the woods. (Many years ago my father said the old timers around the county had dump locations. Many of these are grown over but I came across a few locations while hunting. However I get readings that bounce around and no metal not even tin or caps. Just bottles. Do some bottles trip the detector? Is there metal in the old antique glass on this stuff? Or could it just be natural minerals in ground or old decayed metal that bled into the soil? Anyone want to chime in?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old decayed metal, such as lids and caps, sounds the most plausible to me...Ive never heard of glass triggering a metal detector.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead was used in everything back then. Even glass. Not sure what is setting off your detector.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Blue glass has cobalt in it. Lead was used in glass for better "shine", but not to bottles so much as cut glass like bowls and drinking glasses.

More likely you have a lot of iron oxide from scrap iron in the dumpsite. Or something bigger and deeper than your detector is displaying.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of bottles setting off detectors. Gotta ask are the bottles clean or are they full of sediments? The materials used to color and burnish glass are used in small concentrations~ not enough to set off a detector in my opinion. Interesting *hrm* wonder that the bottle hounds here would strike up on detectable glass ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread