The find you regret getting rid of...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this might be an interesting discussion. What have you found and then gotten rid of, but then later wished you would have held on to??

For me, it was a Wolf Scout neck slide like this one...

cubslide.jpg

When I initially found it, it was one of those "huh, that's cool" But it wasn't something of historical interest, and it's value was minimal, so I added it to a box headed to Goodwill. A few weeks later, I found a Bear Scout slide, and I IMMEDIATELY wished I still had the Wolf slide, but it had gone to Goodwill already. Me being the collecting-dork I am (plus the fact that I was a scout), I keep thinking about how cool it would be to find a slide for each of the ranks. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and when I start detecting some of the local schools, I will find another Wolf.

So lets hear it, who else has gotten rid of a find (given away or sold) that you later wish you had kept?

Upvote 0

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this might be an interesting discussion. What have you found and then gotten rid of, but then later wished you would have held on to??

For me, it was a Wolf Scout neck slide like this one...

View attachment 1082210

When I initially found it, it was one of those "huh, that's cool" But it wasn't something of historical interest, and it's value was minimal, so I added it to a box headed to Goodwill. A few weeks later, I found a Bear Scout slide, and I IMMEDIATELY wished I still had the Wolf slide, but it had gone to Goodwill already. Me being the collecting-dork I am (plus the fact that I was a scout), I keep thinking about how cool it would be to find a slide for each of the ranks. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and when I start detecting some of the local schools, I will find another Wolf.

So lets hear it, who else has gotten rid of a find (given away or sold) that you later wish you had kept?

I kept the one I found last year.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell every thing i find , .. If i can not sell it …..It will go to goodwill or someplace like that… And i have no regret's….

BR549

Nov 4, 2014
Near Gettysburg PA.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Classic ll, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a George Washington inaugural button about 4 years ago. A dealer at a civil war relic show made me an offer i couldnt pass up. But now I wish I would have kept the button.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg
I've kept the three I found.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep it all. The kids take what they want the rest piles up lol.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kept mine, these are from this season. I was a scout for many years and was an assistant den leader for my youngest son. These hold a special place in the items I have kept.

20141122_194600.jpg

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 5 of them 3 are from the 40's and early 50's

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, I regret not keeping all the trash I've dug this year.... I think it would be cool to see all the targets that were not necessarily keepers. To put my finds into context, in relation to the clad, goodies, and the few silvers along the way.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should of kept mine I through it in the trash didn't realize what it was until I walked by a Boy Scout in the grocery store lol

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to tell the story about my Mother-in-law came from overseas for our wedding. She was into coin collecting--my collection. LOL No, I love her very much. I told her she could have anything she wanted. At the time I thought it was a good trade. LOL

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No regrets. I did sell 2 identical tokens I found in a yard. There was only 1 other known to exist and a collector drove 2 hours and put down cash I couldn't say "no" to. Happy with the find, happy with the cash, but it would be cool to still have one and say "only 1 other person in the world has one of these".

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have no finds that I regret getting rid of. I do have one I was happy to get rid of. My ex-wife. :laughing7:
Scout stuff is cool. The only scout item I have found so far is this silver scout ring.
WP_20140614_003.jpg

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring Mike!! I would be SUPER excited to find that... I'd get it resized and wear it if I found it :thumbsup:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A WWII army helmet liner fron the 36th infantry division. Found in an old broken down barn. All decals, great condition. Gave it to a friend. Other thing was a WWII Italian army folding bayonet. Took it to a gun show, guy offered $50 and I took it.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I have a regret. Found a Rolex president 18k and diamond watch dial and one half of the band at metro beach in 1986. Being young and dumb, promptly took the first offer at the first place I went to, which was 700 bucks..man I wish I had that watch today.

Mike

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Yeah I have a regret. Found a Rolex president 18k and diamond watch dial and one half of the band at metro beach in 1986. Being young and dumb, promptly took the first offer at the first place I went to, which was 700 bucks..man I wish I had that watch today.

Mike
$700 man thats 70,000 pennies for me.i dont think i'll dig that many pennies in my lifetime..but that woulda sold for a chunk of change when gold was up a few years back.OUCH!oh well we all did some dum things in our life.but now if you find a watch like that you wont make that same mistake twice huh ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread