Newb, F2 v. Ace250, is tone enough of a descriminator?

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Been wanting to get into the hobby for probably 40 years, and think it's time to get a starter machine. First thing I did was went to Craigslist to see if there was anyone who tried it and didn't like it. All I found in my area is one guy who is selling an F2 and a Coinmaster GT. Both at too close to new price. (Pet Peeve Alert: "Brand new, used only XX times." I hate that. It it's used it ain't 'brand new.' It's 'Like new' at best.) I'm not inclined to buy a used F2 for $185 when I can get a new one with warrantee for $199. Of course, it will probably take me 10 years to find that $14. :)

Anyway, that got me started researching the F2, which led to this site, and, of course, got me comparing the F2 with the 250.

The more I look the more I find wildly disparate claims about which is 'best.' Just what you would expect to find on the ole www. I've reached Analysis Paralysis. Time to shoot the engineers and build the thing.

At this point the only difference I can really rely on is that I find the tones of the 250 less annoying.

Is that enough? I mean, if I dislike the tones less, I'll be more inclined to use it, leading to a greater probability of learning it, and a higher chance of success. Right?

I guess if you've gotten this far I can throw in a few extra details, just in case you have recommendations:

Location: Texas hill country. Sitting on a limestone shelf, so driving a stake in the yard is impossible, let alone digging out a pirate coin at 2'. Not sure I even need a digging tool. Maybe just something to scratch through the grass.

Target: Back when I lived in Colorado I had dreams of searching abandon mines and ghost towns, but now I think public parks are my best bet. We live a half mile from the park where the city has the big 4th of July get-together, and I would love to make a little 'coin' from lost jewelry...

We also make a trip to the beach every other year or so, and I would like to be able to beach comb. I've seen claims that the F2 doesn't do well in wet sand, but I'm not sure any 'entry level' detector is going to do all I want.

Budget: I've budgeted a couple hundred for my 50th birthday present. We were planning a big vacation celebration, then the car died...

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One is about the same as the next at any given price point. It is all about the options and weight.
I when with the Coinmaster GT, options to price point are excellent, including auto ground tracking and beach mode for wet sand, 9 tones and true all metal mode along with a bunch of other things.. and it cost more..
Did you make an offer on either unit that was on craigs list? You got the money, he has something he does not want.. all he can say is NO. $200 for the GT would be a fair price used I would think since it streets for about $360 and would be a much more machine than an F2

OP
OP
D

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He wants $335 for the coinmaster GT. I hadn't considered that one, because it is too far out of my price range. But, like you said, I could ask.

I did politely pointed out he was asking a near-new price for the F2 and asked if we was open to offers. He responded with a simple 'it's still available.'

Addited: Hmmm, would there be any advantage to trying to get a package deal? I mean, if I could get a good price for both, would I have any use for the F2? I haven't been on this site long, but I have noticed most experienced members seem to be 'detector collectors.'

Last edited:

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I have both and I prefer the Ace 250 over the F2 mainly because the Ace is programmable were the F2 loses your settings when you shut it off. The F2 is slightly lighter in weight and has a slight and I mean slight deeper depth than the 250. The Ace requires 4 AA batteries which I seem to notice lasts longer than the 9 volts the the F2 requires. Plus I like the bright yellow control box! easy to find. JMHO. HH. Papa.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ace 250. Its like any other machine practice makes perfect. But let me say this i use my ace 250 constantly I love this machine in my opinion its an awesome coin finding machine. I have had lots of success finding coins with it and would recomend one to anybody. But likeI said this is just my personal opinion,

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$335 for a Coin GT is high. I bought a like new used one for $265. Got rid of it after a week because it was too heavy and noisy.

Learned on a Ace 250. Good machine but outgrew it after a few months wanting TID numeircs over 12 segments.

For a new person getting into detecting (we all trade up after we learn) I suggest a Fisher F2 or BH Quick Draw Pro. Both have segments, numeric ID, Notching, Disc, sensitivity. The QDP adds volume, a 10" elliptical coil and pinpointing button with depth readout. Both machines can be had for $200. Leaving $90 for a XPointer. Preset GB should be just fine for Texas soil.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the question... Is tone enough for discrimination?

Sadly, 3-4 tone machines isn't enough. Too much trash and treasure share similar tones, even ID numbers. Minelabs have variable tones and "sing" what they find. Is that enough? Sometimes. Sometimes not. But to be sure, you still need to dig.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pardon me for not being clear. When I asked about tone being enough of a discriminator, I meant that I like the tone of one machine better than the tone of the other. Is that reason enough for me to 'discriminate' between the two machines in deciding which one I want to buy?

OP
OP
D

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I decided I wanted the beach mode, so made an offer on the Coinmaster. Should be getting it tomorrow. I'll start another thread on testing a used unit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread