Best Metal detector for 1st time buyer

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been asked a thousand times, so sorry, but if anyone can help that would be great. I have really researched and Think I know what I want, but am still unsure. I think I really want the ace 350, but was also seriously considering the Tesoro Compadre and the Fisher F2. Seems like I can get more free stuff with the ace but also want to make sure I won't be sorry. Don't want to spend any more than 400 for everything if possible. I live in ohio half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I would be thankful for any opinions. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm close to youngstown. Where you located?

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Phantom..... If your talking to me, thank you very much

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out with the Vaquero with the 8 year old grandson today (he worked the Garrett pinpointer and Lesche digger i had) to a volleyball court and that thing did a real good job (i made an x at the spot and he did the rest)..... took a little getting used to that ground balance compared to the gold bug 2 but within 1/2 hour had it down real good including the pinpointing. watched about twenty youtube videos on discrimination etc and this thing did go deep so i'm happy with my choice.... Oh the grandson gets to keep all the coins (about $3 :)

Apr 2, 2014
I just bought my 5 year old a Tesoro silver umax off Craigslist in excellent condition, super cheap. Cut down the shaft so it's easier for him to swing. Got tired of him using my AT PRO hahaha, today he's detecting, and I'm doing, all the digging.Happy hunting my friend.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a nickel and a 1957 penny plus a rusty bolt in my backyard with my new F2 today. Had a ton of fun. Cant wait to go out tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
two more pennies today, about 12 beer cans, dog chain link, matchbox car, and some other garbage. Had a blast.....Up 8 cents in two days. Should clear well over a dollar a month at this rate!!!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
two more pennies today, about 12 beer cans, dog chain link, matchbox car, and some other garbage. Had a blast.....Up 8 cents in two days. Should clear well over a dollar a month at this rate!!!!

I'm assuming the 12 beer cans were in the ground and not your libation. :laughing7:

The F2 is a great detector for coins up to 6-7 inches in mellow ground. If your beer cans are hitting in the silver range (usually they do), use the PP button to help in this way,

1. Hold it down to get an idea of the size of the target. If the sound remains constant for a slow 3 inch scan, it is probably a can.
2. Raise the coil as you scan. If it says the target is 2-3" deep, and your coil is 5" off of the ground, it's probably a can.

After awhile, your pinpointing becomes second nature, and you tend to still dig "iffy" signals. Just not 12 beer cans worth, leaving time for more coin digging.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I was in a spot in the woods where I think kids go to party. I have basically just been digging everything and in think I'm understanding when it says dime, quarter, nickel, iron all together that it's usually going to b junk. Been fun and I think I will get better as time goes buy. Thanks for all the help.

Apr 2, 2014
That's awesome, sure you will dig a lot of trash, everyone does, at least you are out and not sitting on the couch doing nothing!!! Happy Hunting my friend!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about comments on the Whites MXT
for the beginner

MXT is probably a bit complex for a beginner. Fisher F2 is a great beginner detector, that goes deep for it's price. The 2 coil package can't be beat for the $. Even the little 4" coil has no probs finding dimes at 7-8" in my ground! A multi-tone detector will make it much less boring/frustrating for a beginner than a single tone machine.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the help. My wife got me a Fisher F2 with 3 coils for Christmas. Hope it does the job. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

She did good! You will love the F2! Read all posts by digger27. He is the go-to guy for F2 tips and very successful with his F2.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I was in a spot in the woods where I think kids go to party. I have basically just been digging everything and in think I'm understanding when it says dime, quarter, nickel, iron all together that it's usually going to b junk. Been fun and I think I will get better as time goes buy. Thanks for all the help.

I have the best success with my F2 by not using any disc/notching, just leave all the (4) tones in. so you are less likely to mask out a good target that is adjacent to iron. Just don't dig the low tones if you don't want to dig iron. The small coil is a killer on small jewelry and great in trash. I use it first in trashy sites, then go back over the spot with the 8" to get any deeper stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread