May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that winter's fast approaching I've been wondering... for those like me who don't have the option of moving to warmer climates in the winter, how do you spend the winter months?

Do you still try to MD like normal? Do you restrict your MD'ing to beaches? Research and plan you warm-weather hunts?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work on my coin collection and go to indoor flea markets and road trips with my wife to antique and coin shops.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt the deeper woods ....till the snow gets to deep...when i was younger i`d pack in a snow shovel ....to old for that crap anymore.
So when the snow is deep ...i get me fix right here ...seeing what the southern guys are diggin.
Gary

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt the deeper woods ....till the snow gets to deep...when i was younger i`d pack in a snow shovel ....to old for that crap anymore.
So when the snow is deep ...i get me fix right here ...seeing what the southern guys are diggin.
Gary

I've never considered hunting in the snow. I figured that once it gets cold enough it's too much of a PITA to try to dig the frozen ground, hence my question. Does the ground usually stay softer longer in deeper woods?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DaytonaRacer
Yes the rotting layer of thick leaves keep the ground thawed, but the top 2 "to 3" may be frozen.
Gary

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never considered hunting in the snow. I figured that once it gets cold enough it's too much of a PITA to try to dig the frozen ground, hence my question. Does the ground usually stay softer longer in deeper woods?

Give the snow a try in the woods if it's not too deep. It makes a wonderful automatic grid for you. I can hunt the whole year in Cincinnati in the woods unless we have a big snow or just stupid temps for a month. The ground will be frozen 3" down in the fields and the woods are nice and soft.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool. Thanks, Gary & Rob! Ya learn something new every day. :thumbsup:

Next "warm" (read: above 40-degrees) day this winter and I'll be out digging some new sites.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes in the spring it feels like I got "rusty" over the winter months.
Takes awhile to get back into the swing of things...pun intended ;)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When i was younger and the snow flew i would on week ends go to the bars early in the morning 6 or 7 am…….. And hunt around were they parked there cars………Those drunks lost a lot of cash and other nice things…..

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spend most of my time researching for sprint time hunts on the internet as well as getting permission. I also go to many detecting forums learning anything I can learn. There is a lot of information out there. It is also a good time to clean up the years finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread