Do you set goals?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I called Onionhead recently for some advice on detecting.? He offered some great advice and one thing that he does is to set goals for each trip.? Just curious if any of you do the same?? Just to let you know how serious this guy is, he set a goal last year to find $1,000 in coins for the year and he did it!? That's around $2.75 a day, assuming he gets to detect every day of the year.? With the limited time that I have to detect, I'd have to find about $19.00 per day to reach that goal.? Either way, it's a lot of dedication and digging....no wonder he finds all the rings.?

Based on his advice, I am setting goals each trip.? I started off easy....on one site that I hunted this weekend, I knew I wouldn't find a bunch of coins so I set a goal to find:? one penny, one nickel, one dime and one quarter.? Three of the four were fairly easy since I purposely cranked my DISC up but to get that nickel, had to crank it way down.? It forced me to slow down, concentrate and focus on a nickel.? I finally got it but my trash to treasure ratio was over 10:1 but you know what?? That's where most of the really good stuff falls too.....? ?One negative tradeoff with establishing a goal was that I hunted a little longer than I wanted too in marginal weather....I was committed!?

Tell me about your goal setting experiences (if any), good or bad.

Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
We set goals, Bobbies is $8-10.00 a weekend. My goal is not to get squashed my Bobbie every weekend ;D. Actually I have used the same goals since 97. I know I probably could adjust but they are really just a marker, and not a yardstick. I would love to set a goal of X number of silver coins, but the reality this wouldnt happen as we both work fulltime jobs and I rarely hunt alone anymore. But I may start using my wed afternoons off to work on a silver coin goal ;)
hh

J

Jim Cal

My goal each time I go hunting is penny, nickel, dime, quarter. I figure if I am finding the full range of coins I will stumble onto some other good finds....rings, jewelry, etc. Many times when I am getting tired I tell myself just keep going and you'll find that nickel or whatever it is I haven't found yet of the target coin group. I still have days when I am hunting someplace old that I'll find silver just like the old days. Jim Cal

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hey Lowbatts
I have been reading on some forums the exploits of some meteorite hunters. Although space rock hunting is not new most folks even veteran gold hunters usually have no clue what they should look like. In Gold Basin those veteran gold nugget hunters had been detecting space rocks for years and just tossed them aside as "Hot" rocks. Even on this forum we get meteorite entries- all so far are not actual space rocks. As meteorites can be quite valuable a lot more people are looking into space rock hunting. Kind of reminds me of the early days of metal detecting when everyone was wondering what the heck I was doing in the park with that weird looking machine. I guess I just loved being a pioneer in my area and don't like following in the footsteps of countless others.

Perhaps? those folks who really don't like to hear those "old time" stories about when you could find 50 silver coins in an outing at the local park should listen up. Perhaps 20 years from now they can say "Back in the early years of meteorite hunting- we could find---INSERT TALL TALE HERE."

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread