New to idea and need some help getting set up.

Sean57

Dec 22, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my name is Shaun and I am in Northern Indiana.

I am new to the Idea of metal detecting and ready to purchase a machine/setup yo get started(or at least get ready for spring hunting). I'm not sure what I need. I know I need a machine and some headphones(it may be that simple). The only Metal detectors I have looked at are from Minelab and seem to be decent. I know I live were two Rivers meet so it would be nice to have a waterproof model. I know some of you may say don't spend a lot of money in the beginning in case you don't stick with the hobby. I would rather spend the money now than find I want to upgrade three months into the summer. I also want to give the hobby a chance.I also fly radio controlled helicopters for another hobby, I have far too many times seeing hobbyist try to get into that hobby and leave because they were using subpar equipment. They easily become frustrated and discouraged and quit, that's not a fair shake. I would appreciate all ideas and thoughts on what I might need or want to research. I am open for all ideas, and willing to listen as I know nothing of these machines. I thank you all In advance.

-Shaun-

Upvote 0

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe..

And frankly you can start those machines off in a stock program and do just fine. Even for guys just starting off. And heck the guys who are so stuck in the way their old machine ran may have a harder time than a tech savvy young guy just getting into the hobbie.

The simple fact of the matter is not everyone needs to use your "starter machine" right from the get go.. these fancier machines have programs to turn on and go. Perfect example is the etrac..

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not knocking the entry level detectors. they certainly find metal and if they serve your purpose then thats a personal choice. kind of like golf clubs. some people are fine hitting golf balls with entry level clubs. some people want to know theyre using the best they can use. when i started i knew i was serious about it.

So if I buy a 2k guitar I will suddenly become the best guitarist around? Total nonsense. You are a salesman's dream come true! Only the best for me because I'm "serious" about metal detecting! LOL!

EVERY public spot I've hunted in my town has been detected to death by the "serious" detectorists for a good 25 years or more. But somehow they missed 3 half reals from the 1700's, 2 KGIII coppers, 6 large cents, over 40 pre-1800 flat buttons, Barber dimes, Mercs, 13 IHC's, dozens of musket balls and a couple colonial shoe buckles to boot. How do you explain that fact? If these 2k detectors are so wonderful, why are they missing so many coins and relics?

Spend all you want on a detector. It won't make you any better at detecting. Metal detecting is a skill and not something you can buy with a wad of cash because you are so "serious" about detecting.

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got started 3 years ago, I bought a used Bounty Hunter, an Elite 2200 that cost $140.00 ten years ago new. I have upgraded 4 times, but still I love my Bounty Hunter, and put down my other detectors and go back to it. In those three years I have found 302 silver coins, ten gold jewelry items, and a bunch of silver rings, along with more than a thousand wheat pennies, and oh yeah, a gold coin, and all with my Bounty Hunter. I recently bought an E-TRAC, and I am having trouble figuring it out? I'm not computer savy and it's just not working for me. Everyone else that owns an E-TRAC loves them. The only thing I don't like about the Bounty Hunter, it detects only about 6 inches deep. What ever you decide on, get a pin pointer, and a good digging tool.
HH everyone
Harry

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is great that folks are just out there detecting.. cheaper or more expensive of a machine it does not matter.. It just gets old people saying how it has to be.. They figure their way is the only way to do it..

Main thing is get out there, do your research, buy the machine you want and see if you can find some stuff.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my humble opinion. If you want to learn how to fly you do not start training in a F16 fighter jet. This is what you'd be doing if you start with the top of the line machines. I started with a no frills metal detector, had to learn how to determine depth of targets without the use of a screen showing this data and was limited in depth due to the 8 inch concentric coil. I then moved up to the fisher F4 and simply love it. It's only short coming is that the VDI is not active in all metal mode. I am a coin shooter and do not use this mode on the F4 due to the single tone and lack of data on the display. One of the options I also liked on the F4 is you could use many different coils, something you can't do on the cheaper units. It came with a DD coil which allowed me to cover more ground due to less overlapping of my swings I am now looking for older home sites that have been demolished and are now plowed under in fields. I found a Fisher F75 LTD SE for a low price from a fellow metal detectorist that has been forced to leave the hobby due to health reasons. I would never have wanted to start out with the F75, but after having a month on the 1st detector and 6 months on the F4 I am confident that the F75 will be a great detector for what I want to use it for. After having 7 months using detectors I have greatly diminished the learning curve and am becoming very proficient with this top of the line Fisher detector.
In my opinion, from what I have read on this site, there are 4 detectors that are good stater units. They are the Technetics Eurotech Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, and the Tesoro Compadre. Good Luck and please do some research on your own as to what options may be best suited for your hunting style.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I buy a 2k guitar I will suddenly become the best guitarist around? Total nonsense. You are a salesman's dream come true! Only the best for me because I'm "serious" about metal detecting! LOL!

EVERY public spot I've hunted in my town has been detected to death by the "serious" detectorists for a good 25 years or more. But somehow they missed 3 half reals from the 1700's, 2 KGIII coppers, 6 large cents, over 40 pre-1800 flat buttons, Barber dimes, Mercs, 13 IHC's, dozens of musket balls and a couple colonial shoe buckles to boot. How do you explain that fact? If these 2k detectors are so wonderful, why are they missing so many coins and relics?

Spend all you want on a detector. It won't make you any better at detecting. Metal detecting is a skill and not something you can buy with a wad of cash because you are so "serious" about detecting.

You're missing the point. No one is saying entry level detectors aren't good detectors. No one is saying an expensive detector is going to magically make you a better detectorist. I like how people like to point out how their area is swarming with detectors yet they manage to pull out all these extraordinary finds. I've been going to my beaches my entire life and never seen more than a half dozen people total detecting in all those years. and believe it or not, not everyone is interested in finding bullets and belt buckles. I hunt for jewelry. If I find a silver coin then great but it's not what I'm after. I don't even dig coins a lot of the time. My ace350 proved useless past the dry sand and the excalibur wasn't hard to learn to use as some people seem to believe. Sure I'll always be learning the nuances of detecting but it wasn't frustrating to get started at all. Of course it's still up to me to find the right places to hunt, be diligent in my search and have the determination to get hard to find targets. This is simply my experience and opinion which is what the op asked for. I'm not berating anyone for their choice and I don't see why you would berate someone else for theirs. If you can't afford an expensive detector or it doesn't suit you then there's nothing wrong with that. The op sounds like he's going to be doing some water hunting and he sounds like he has the budget to buy a premium detector as well as the inclination. Sounds just like me. And sounds like he may not be satisfied with anything less.

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is not life or death like flying an f16 just wanted to clear that up. If you bought an expensive guitar you could still learn on it. Some of the reason to not buy a advanced detector are cracking me up. the fact of the matter is the moment you realize this hobby is for you buy the best you can afford.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is great that folks are just out there detecting.. cheaper or more expensive of a machine it does not matter.. It just gets old people saying how it has to be.. They figure their way is the only way to do it..

Main thing is get out there, do your research, buy the machine you want and see if you can find some stuff.

It's not really "how it has to be". We have just seen the same scenario over and over and over and offer advice from what we've seen over the years. Some old timers see these threads and just pass on them...........been there done that...........too many times. Do a search to see how many ask "first time buyer....what to get?". Then if they get a 3030, follow how many times they ask for help what the machine is saying before they even understand that iron is at one end of the spectrum and silver at the other.

No disrespect intended. But some high end machines are designed for people aware of metal metrics. They start off where many lower end detectors leave off. Jump right into a AKA and understand a "hodogram". What's that? [Darn, where's my Google search].

I see a lot of newbies as well as old timers selling Deux and 3030s. It was an expensive venture to realize that it wasn't the (their) best detector. Learn from others first.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No single machine does it all. Decide where you will spend most of your time md-ing and buy the appropriate machine. If you're going to be mostly water hunting, buy a water machine.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting is not life or death like flying an f16 just wanted to clear that up. If you bought an expensive guitar you could still learn on it. Some of the reason to not buy a advanced detector are cracking me up. the fact of the matter is the moment you realize this hobby is for you buy the best you can afford.

When I decided to drive, my first car wasn't a Cadillac or even a Mercury. It was an older used 1963 Volvo PV544. I destroyed it 5 months later by accident. Glad it wasn't a Cadillac.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comparing a metal detector to airplane or a car is a horrible analogy. Lol

And there are just as many folks selling their entry level machines because metal detecting is not for them..

Believe it or not, a good portion of the people getting into fighter jets , oops I mean metal detectors can handle getting into nicer machines and learning on them.. You don't have to like it :D

Then at the same time others will struggle with the basic machine.. The big thing for me is quit telling folks what they have to do. You don't know them, their abilities, patience, background etc....

And again, most of these advanced machines have stock programs that anyone can jump right into and start having fun and finding things, with tons of room to grow!!! Then from there start getting more advanced and honing their skills and techniques As They learn.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I decided to drive, my first car wasn't a Cadillac or even a Mercury. It was an older used 1963 Volvo PV544. I destroyed it 5 months later by accident. Glad it wasn't a Cadillac.

When you metal detector do you feel you are in danger or a threat to anyone else? If you answered yes you are doing it wrong.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you metal detector do you feel you are in danger or a threat to anyone else? If you answered yes you are doing it wrong.

Yes.. and you could swing the machine for years wrong and it will work as good as the day you bought it.. these analogies are comical. Next let's compare them to space craft!!!

Again though, pick what ever machine you want for what ever reason want and have fun.. And Merry Christmas:)

Last edited:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sean57, what's in your rivers that your expecting to find? unless there are ship wrecks, gold nuggets, or plenty of swimming activity, you'll be severely limiting your detector choices for a pouch full of trash and fishing sinkers.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and believe it or not, not everyone is interested in finding bullets and belt buckles.

Musket balls and colonial SHOE buckles are sometimes worth a lot more than any jewelry you may find. Do a little research before you make a condescending reply about what others search for:

Revolutionary War Colonial Shoe Buckle | eBay

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of jewelry as well, but it's definitely not what I'm looking for. Nice to find, but boring after awhile. Finding a historic relic from the 1700's is a lot more rewarding to a "serious" detectorist like myself.

jewelry.JPG

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been going to my beaches my entire life and never seen more than a half dozen people total detecting in all those years.

Consider yourself lucky. I run into them all the time, even though I live in a sleepy old town. Some even have the audacity to start detecting less than 100 feet from me! These are not people from my town, either. They come from all around RI and nearby CT. I guess a town that's almost 400 years old is a draw for the relic hunters out there.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Musket balls and colonial SHOE buckles are sometimes worth a lot more than any jewelry you may find. Do a little research before you make a condescending reply about what others search for: Revolutionary War Colonial Shoe Buckle | eBay

you seem not to like that others have a different opinion. the man asked for peoples thoughts and ideas for him to consider. obviously we dont all think the same way. and im not really sure whats condescending about the comment. there are lots of things to look for more valuable. im not comparing you to me. im giving my opinion based on my experience. information for someone who doesnt have any. its not an attack on anyone else or a comparison to anyone else. just because we dont share the same interest doesnt mean yours isnt a worthy endeavor. as they say, whatever blows your hair back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread