New to idea and need some help getting set up.

Sean57

Dec 22, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my name is Shaun and I am in Northern Indiana.

I am new to the Idea of metal detecting and ready to purchase a machine/setup yo get started(or at least get ready for spring hunting). I'm not sure what I need. I know I need a machine and some headphones(it may be that simple). The only Metal detectors I have looked at are from Minelab and seem to be decent. I know I live were two Rivers meet so it would be nice to have a waterproof model. I know some of you may say don't spend a lot of money in the beginning in case you don't stick with the hobby. I would rather spend the money now than find I want to upgrade three months into the summer. I also want to give the hobby a chance.I also fly radio controlled helicopters for another hobby, I have far too many times seeing hobbyist try to get into that hobby and leave because they were using subpar equipment. They easily become frustrated and discouraged and quit, that's not a fair shake. I would appreciate all ideas and thoughts on what I might need or want to research. I am open for all ideas, and willing to listen as I know nothing of these machines. I thank you all In advance.

-Shaun-

Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you metal detector do you feel you are in danger or a threat to anyone else? If you answered yes you are doing it wrong.

I don't understand your post. I was talking of my experience with cars.

But to answer your unrelated question, when first I detected, I did manage to get a few people mad at me for not understanding (or even knowing of) the MD code of ethics. There is a difference in being wrong and being ignorant. After some 18 years, I learned that just because a detector costs more doesn't make it better or deeper than less expensive detectors. I've used a list from all the big names. And here I am using Pro Bounty Hunters, because they give me most bang for the buck.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand your post. I was talking of my experience with cars.

But to answer your unrelated question, when first I detected, I did manage to get a few people mad at me for not understanding (or even knowing of) the MD code of ethics. There is a difference in being wrong and being ignorant. After some 18 years, I learned that just because a detector costs more doesn't make it better or deeper than less expensive detectors. I've used a list from all the big names. And here I am using Pro Bounty Hunters, because they give me most bang for the buck.

If you read the post after I tried to clear that up. The only way I can post on my phone is,through quotes. Basically I don't understand yours or the guy comparing a a detector to a fighter jet or a situation like learning to drive and wrecking a car.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see. OK. I'm wrong then.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excal and Sand Shark are hard to beat in the H2O...GL and HH

OP
OP
S

Sean57

Dec 22, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for all the help from those of you that are constructive. If you have complex of somone spending more than 195.00 on a MD that should last a lifetime, I apolligize......... You get what you pay for.

As for what I would hunt in rivers it's hard to tell, two rivers meet near where I live and a very long time ago they were used to move a lot of trade goods(also major railroad hub as well). I imagine waters are hunted less thorough because of the need for higher end machines and less convenient. I guess the bottom line as a couple of you pointed out is very simple, evidently I can afford a higher end machine and I'm not scared to learn to operate one. It may take some time but that is exactly what a hobby is, something to occupy spare time........

So, think I'll go with Excalibur and use the money I saved to get my tetanus shot updated!
If I find a need for the 3030 I'll buy it later, I think the water is where I'll be. I will be in my rivers and my parents live in Naples, Fla. So I will be spending some time there as well. Thanks for the help so far and Merry Xmas!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good choice Sean.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think youll enjoy it. there are lots of videos on youtube and info in the forum about the excal. check out joe beechnut, surfdigger, beachdugger and gravedigger max early videos used excalibur. its a lot of fun learning the tones and all you can do to the machine. good luck.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have complex of somone spending more than 195.00 on a MD that should last a lifetime, I apolligize......... You get what you pay for.

Actually, my Ace 250 with the larger coil cost $340.00. I've had it for 20 months and put in over 1,500 hours of detecting with no problems. Just because you spend 2k doesn't mean "you get what you pay for" and just because you spend $340 doesn't mean it won't last longer than your 2k machine.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, my Ace 250 with the larger coil cost $340.00. I've had it for 20 months and put in over 1,500 hours of detecting with no problems. Just because you spend 2k doesn't mean "you get what you pay for" and just because you spend $340 doesn't mean it won't last longer than your 2k machine.

As long as,you never try anything else you ace will be the best you ever used.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you being serious or joking?

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, the 2k Excalibur that Metalhealth strongly recommends seems to have problems right out of the box! I guess "you get what you pay for"! LOL! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/439177-excalibur-ii-falsing-problem-water-whats-normal.html

this is true it was falsing in the saltwater. they had it fixd and back to me in under a week free of charge tho. id buy another one in a minute tho and probably will buy another one before summer rolls around. its a joy to use. i have to say my 7 year old loves the ace350 i handed down to him also. would buy one of those again also if it served my purposes. unfortunately its not usable in the environment i hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread