Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you haven't found anything with both those machines, it's one of two things.

1. Bad machines
2. Misunderstood machines.

Two of the best machines made not finding anything should be your first clue to which one.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
I find a lot of coins with the xlt,I was just wondering if I should spend another 800.00 for lates,greates.wombat.detector.
the xlt balance is easy and I will look into balanceing the mxt better.thanks for the help.
brad

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Why do I need another detector" Why is the sky blue? Why can't we see the wind? Why do women like to shop?
It is just another one of those great mysteries of life LOL!

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure your battery pack is fully charged. Weak batteries cause the detector to make noise.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find a lot of coins with the xlt,I was just wondering if I should spend another 800.00 for lates,greates.wombat.detector.
the xlt balance is easy and I will look into balanceing the mxt better.thanks for the help.
brad

I myself tried Whites units and they aren't for me. Not that they are bad, but I tried the CoinGT and found it heavy and noisy. I attributed it to Whites ground balance circuit that constantly adjusts for the ground minerals. Many can find that perfect balance of threshold/sensitivity to quiet the circuit while maintaining decent depth with medium fast swing speed. I could not. I prefer to just update GB manually with a push of the button (Ground Grab on FTP machines). But I have friends who swear by the MXT (and the MXT Pro). I know at one time the XLT was THE detector to have. But I think the newer generation has passed it up, especially with faster recovery speeds.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"WHY DO I NEED A NEW DETECTOR?"

To stimulate the detector sales economy and help 'Merica

Mike

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Really?

I do not agree.

I have had an XLT for many years. I also have an MXT Pro, Xterra, and a few others.

XLT is the first out of the bag.

Totally agree that fast recovery speeds are a good thing, but you use an XLT as a tool to find the hot spots. Covers lots of ground quickly.

I know at one time the XLT was THE detector to have. But I think the newer generation has passed it up, especially with faster recovery speeds.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion is if you have an XLT and an MXT that work properly, you don't need a new detector. Those two machines will hold their own quite well against nearly any detector out there as far as finding targets is concerned, when in the hands of a knowledgeable operator. Once the MXT has achieved a working ground balance, turn your threshold down to a barely audible hum.
luvsdux

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEED a detector? None of us NEEDS a new detector, this is a hobby.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
thanks, I think you guys saved me some money,iam going work with the mxt some more.and I all ways liked the xlt.
marry Christmas brad

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy new detectors because I like to try something new or they have a specific purpose. I currently own a Deus, At Pro, Vaquero, Compadre and use them all. Just depends on what and where I am going to be hunting for the day.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not agree.

I have had an XLT for many years. I also have an MXT Pro, Xterra, and a few others.

XLT is the first out of the bag.

Totally agree that fast recovery speeds are a good thing, but you use an XLT as a tool to find the hot spots. Covers lots of ground quickly.

Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I was taking anything away from one of Whites best flagships. Once you learn the more programmable XLT, it's language never let's down it's user. I was referencing newer detectorists that seem to see an easier digital (one touch, two touch) option in preprogrammed offerings. I remember the days when the XLT was almost all that was discussed (and the DFX). Today it's the V series and 3030 that's in the spotlight, with advanced offerings like the Deux wireless.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
1637 the secret is to ground balance the MXT properly and the noise will go away. if hunting in coin mode put grn bal switch in ground and then grn bal it . then put it in lock ,set disc on nickels or above or below where ever u want it, then turn the sensitivity knob all the way up and the threshold knob all the way down. use it like that a few times and it should run a little quiet. the whole SECRET to that detector is grn bal it properly I ground bal mine over some hot rocks or coal klinkers and adjust it as I said, the hotter the ground you balance it over the better the detector will see thru iron and find coins in the nails I promise. I have some black sand out of an Arizona silver mine and its so hot that the detector overloads so I hold the head up just so it doesn't overload (in ground)and then throw the grn bal in lock leave it in lock and set the rest where u want and it, it will see thru the nails and iron and see the coins like the nails aren't even their, but if u don't get the grn bal right this WON"T work

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions