Trigger pulled, Makro from Barts

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
TEK 4000,TEK G2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting off and on for lil while now, it takes me way too long to find a target especially in grass plugs. After reading alot recently I decided a pin pointer is a necessity so I scored the Arffer freight Cen tec, I thought it would help but that dang thing drove me nuts even after tweaking it. So with my meager Christmas bonus decided to give the Makro a try. After all ive heard of Barts BBH decided to give him a go, cant wait till it gets here im itching to hunt, and hope I will gain an edge.....Now ive got to start saving for a better Machine my nephew will be handed down the BH. Wish me luck HH all...

Upvote 0

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure that pinpointer will make a world of difference. Congrats!

OP
OP
xxJimboxx

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Barts took care of business, I received the (metaldetectors.com drop shipped) Makro pointer just in time for my long new years weekend. Unfortunately it happened to be friggen freezing out, I started in the grass of my local park I couldn't cut a plug to save my life, the ground was frozen :( I sure gave it a heck of a try though, see picture..... So off to the tot lot covered in wood chips with my good ol screw driver. Found some clad, had to call it a day when frostbite started kicking in. Its official I HATE wood chips, hard to locate stuff in. The makro did its job but.... it acted funny. When I put pressure on the tip sideways it falses, It takes a bit of pressure . Does this happen with propointers, or other pinpointers? The other problem, if I got it close to my coil it would start going off and I would have to turn the Makro off to reset it. I will test somemore and further my little review soon.... HH all :) Can anyone suggest a good trowel that doesn't look like a giant dagger? The cops down here are a little edgy photo (2).JPG

Last edited:

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This doe's happen with other pin pointers. The Garrett pro pin pointer which I believe is the best out there. will false when pressed a little hard into the dirt. They seem to do this more, as you use them several time while detecting. Have not used the Makro. Waiting to hear more on you review. My nephew says Whites makes a pin pointer that they say will not false. I researching to get more info onthat. Hope this helps....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Not true my Garrett Pro Pointer you can press in to the ground as hard as you can ….And it will not sound off unless there is a coin or other item there to set it off … I have tried to make my Garrett Pro Pointer false and it will not …. OH yes i got my Garrett Pro Pointer when they first came out so it has been used a lot…………..So i would say you got a bad Pin pointer send it back..

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The falsing issue was the reason I went with the Deteknix X-Pointer. My Garrett was falsing so bad that it would go off in the air with nothing near it. Deteknix goes off only near metal, adjustable and only $89.00. Was a great choice for me. Here's a digger you might like. 31C.jpg It's a Raptor 31C made by Predator tools.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
xxjimbox .. I tried that with my Garrett and it will not false … I can push it in the ground with almost all my body weight on it and it will no false … I can't make it false.. And my pals that have the Garrett Pro Pointer have no problem with theres…So i guess some do false but i never saw one … To me if any one has and uses a pin pointer that will false and thinks it is normal are wrong … Why would you pay to buy it then when it does not work right say oh they all do that …not true..

OP
OP
xxJimboxx

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy .... Who said they all do that? I don't recall saying that. That's a great looking digger there Mike.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy .... Who said they all do that? I don't recall saying that. That's a great looking digger there Mike.
I did not say you said that …But that i read a lot of posts on different treasure sites … And there are some members that say that is the way they work and just keep using them like that …. I was just telling that they should not work like that.. Now i am waiting to get the new AT Pro Pointer water proof..

OP
OP
xxJimboxx

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I see, my apologies ... I was and am still planning on getting the pro pointer, once the new one comes out. I primarily only buy American. I love Garret gold pans and snuffers. Im still purty new to the metal detector game. I didn't realize the many complexities involved with detecting until I entered the rabbit hole... As far as returning it im real low on cash at the moment so I may take it on couple more hunts. HH all :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No it is not complicated all you need is a detector , pinpointed . digging tool . and pouch …. Just swing your detector and when it beeps dig .. That's all there is to it.. Most of us that started 30 , 40 years or more ago that is all we did and we did just great… Just that these treasure forums and the ones on them now a days like to make it seem like it is complicated..

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you watch videos on youtube, you will see people use them as diggers and really lean/push on them while using them. I have never had any issues with my Garrett pinpointer but I also use it for what it was intended; to pinpoint, not dig.
I am also looking forward to seeing the new Garrett AT pp in action as well as first hand reviews.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xxJimboxx

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZR2GUY...I think you hit the nail on the head, this is why I will keep it and test it further if it gets worse or has other problems I will request a return and see if they honor the warranty. Its supposed to be good for two years. Im almost ready to get a new detector I see you got an x terra, ive heard great things about it......HH :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well when i started in detecting there were not any pin pointers and not for a lot of years after i started did they have them….So we did not miss them… But they the pin pointer do make detecting a lot more fun & easy. to find your item..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello mikeraydj,

I’m thinking of purchasing the Raptor 31 C, seems like a very capable digging tool.

Regards,

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my 705 with the 10.5 DD coil. I don't know what your budget is but a used, clean 705 can be had for $400-450. Take a look at one. A simple change of coils and you can hunt in your choice of three different frequencies. A lot of bang for the buck.:happy3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
xxJimboxx

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im definitely shopping around ZR2 :) Well little update I went on a four hour hunt today at the park with a sharpend up trowel from Lowes. I left the Makro scraping shield at home and used the smooth one it worked flawlessly, I was super happy with it. I didn't dig with it or pry. I did put a bit of pressure on it and no falsing whatsoever :) I found a mountain of junk and a little clad, beautiful sunny day.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread