Deteknix Xpointer not PI, not Waterproof?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see the Deteknix XPointer being advertised as a pulse induction pinpointer and as being waterproof. I have been able to find nothing on the manufacturer website stating it is a PI, only that it operates at 95 kHz which would be a sensible induction balance frequency. It is also being advertised as waterproof. The brochure however indicates that the probe tip "the probe" is waterproof but that the speaker must be covered and so is not waterproof. That is pretty much like selling me a metal detector as being waterproof because the coil is submersible when the control box is not.

I am not accusing anyone of anything, just seeking clarification. There may have been a misunderstanding? Ot maybe I am just reading things wrong? Help me out here. But please do not point out the ads in question as "proof". It actually looks like a really good pinpointer for the money but I think it needs to be clear what people are purchasing.

Attachments

• deteknix-xpointer-brochure-page-1.jpg
    deteknix-xpointer-brochure-page-1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 302
  • deteknix-xpointer-brochure-page-2.jpg
    deteknix-xpointer-brochure-page-2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't speak for the water aspect, though there is a youtube video with a guy at the beach getting it soaked with wave splashes and it continued working.

I can only speak with how well it works for me. The tip gets great response even from a small pierced earring stud. It does not false what-so-ever with pushing or knocking. The sides don't have the nulled area like the TRX. It does like to eat batteries, making me believe it probably is PI.

For waterproof, I would consider the Makro or new Garrett over the XPointer just to be safe.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve , I was thinking of getting one but now that Garrett is bringing out there water proof pin pointer i will wait for it… But that is good to know that the x Pointer is not fully water proof … It will save some money for ones thinking of buying it …. And when it is hard to find out any info on a product that product would worry me.. For if i can not talk to a company rep i would not buy a item of any type ..

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it is common sense the Speaker area cannot be water Proof.
And would also not trust the Button covers 100%.
as the covers displace on my Garret often, I would think the same here.
maybe not even the light for long periods
I guess they should say water proof up to the light.

however " + Points " over the Garrett to me,

#1. Price (price always matters, especially when I am hard on things)

#2 . It supposedly does not false like the Garrett.

#3. can be set on Vibrate ( I covered the speaker with rubber sponge & Black Tape to Muffle sound, on my Garrett
But it still can be heard by everyone within range :( I hate that)

#4. is a maybe. as they say it is deeper then the Garrett.
that would be a plus also.

Warranty Issues ? and where would it need to be sent if & when it goes bad ?
& trust me, If it wasn't for bad Luck, I would have very little luck !
so odds are I would need it replaced the day I receive it, as I would get the one bad one.
And within 6 Months something else would go wrong.
This has nothing to do with Brands, This has to do with "My Luck"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need waterproof, take a look at a Vibraprobe. It works great, fully waterproof, tough, well built construction, and made in USA.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not deceptive advertising or unclear. It is marketing. When I bought mine, I had no illusions as to whether this probe was 100% waterproof. I read the info, (and like the other manufacturers who say the same thing), knew that there were certain areas that could be immersed and others that can't. And I have never heard of a customer who believed they were getting a 100% waterproof pointer when ordering it.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow wished I had never mentioned the waterproof part. PI or not, that was my question. I was not trying to start a debate or a this versus that. I don't need anything except information.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry about that i do not know if it is PI or not no help here..

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried calling them or emailing them and asking if its a pi? It is kinda weird that they don't mention it on their spec page but other sites selling their product say its PI.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems like the dealers do no know either you sure do not see them giving any input..

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may take one for the team and buy one and have a friend with a scope check it out. Seriously most people would not care but I am the sort that does.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have seen this pointer has no problem with wet salty soil. Usually a mark of a PI.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wished I had never mentioned the waterproof part. PI or not, that was my question. I was not trying to start a debate or a this versus that. I don't need anything except information.

lol this is a forum on the internet Steve :laughing7:
Just roll with it :thumbsup:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its deadly-love it- does not false. Very Heavy on battery- but theres a picture of a gorilla on the box- if I remember correctly. It is very very good!

Put it in a ziplock, put on the rubber tip- very sensitive. Had it all day in the sea then. It will pick up a Radiator at 8 inches. but wont pick up a sim card? So no good for prospecting tiny nuggets!

My detector will easily pick up a sim . The x pointer Sees thru it maybe. Great in wet sand and rocks. Recomended

It's pulse alright- and its very nearly waterproof. On the box or the ads it just says resistant

Hope you give it a proper try out..

Deteknix x pointer- rait- pulse induction- Yes from me

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1103149

Now that is sexy! PI, and waterproof to 40 meters (that's 120 feet), adjustable, AA or 9 volt. If it is as competitively priced as their land pointer, sign me up.

I'm going to guess close to if not over $200 :(

I say that because They are taking orders & not shipping till spring.
So in effect they are getting Blank Checks.

I know there is probably an Opt-Out, but most people who throw these pre-orders out
bite the bullet anyway :(

not smart to tell a company "I'll buy no matter what you want" :BangHead:
if they get 2000 pre-orders they may just expect to retire after shipment :(

buying before they get used for a year is also risking, buying the Bugs,
that don't get fixed till the 2nd. generation go on-sale.

but then again, with the exception of maybe reaching in a lake or creek from the edge, the only 120 feet in the wet I will be, is 120 Feet from my Car during a cloud burst :laughing7:

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that they will be pricing these competitively if their other pinpointer is an indication. Second, the other guys only offer 10 feet of depth. With this at 120 feet you know it will still be just fine if you go 11 feet in your creek. Looks like the whole wand flashes when you get near a target, nice feature. Competition is good!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread