Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading about shallow water hunting, I think I want to get the ol' detector wet this spring and give it a shot. It sounds like a good way to expand my hunting. If floods have occurred in a specific area for good hunting, would this be a bad thing? Would this have washed away valuable items, or possibly just collected more? I'm thinking of this bend in a local creek that runs directly beside a historic village built in the 1700's. The village is off limits because of its National Historic Registry and is now a tourist attraction that you pay to walk through. On the opposite side of the creek is our town park, so accessing to creek is very easy. A few years ago I took my daughter down to the park to see the flood. We could just see the top of the pavilion roof in the water. The flood had been at least 10ft high. Is it likely floods would have washed all the goodies away?

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only way to learn for sure is to hunt it. Moving water can take away and bring in both, so go for it.
luvsdux

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
I've been doing a lot of hunting in the local river flood plain. People had also dumped there for decades, until they sealed the road off. Strictly a walk in now. I dont find a whole lot of "good stuff", but it has 2 things going for it that I really love: 1. It's 500 acres and I'm always alone down there. They've cut in a walking path that probably not 12 people in town know about. Love the solitary hunting. 2. I've found wheaties, merc's and bullet brass right in the old dirt road so I dont think any detector has ever been in there. Go for it. You're thinking right....all the easy spots are picked over.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Luvsdux, you have to check it out. If the flood moves slowly, it might not wash the goodies away, especially if the they were buried, even just a little bit. You know that people used to throw trash in creeks, so I would not be surprised if the place has "washed in" trash. If the flood brings in silt, your targets might be deep.

Good luck and good thinking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread