Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Referring to these, if you're not familiar: Pennsylvania Iron Furnaces

I'm trying to get a read on one of these near where I grew up. The ruins from the furnace itself are still there, but there are no buildings there now. Looking at an 1861 map of the area there are at least 15 buildings around the furnace, but there's no indication of whether or not they were residential.

Anybody ever hunt around these? I know there's going to be a ton of hot rocks and slag, but it's basically a little town that's wiped off the map so it's got to hold potential I would think.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a few in my area.
Non on that list that I can find.
Unfortunately all are in extremely overgrown areas. or
areas owned by Governments both Small & oversized.
So the fact the Iron would most likely play Havoc, I haven't attempted any of them.

s.jpg

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some iron furnaces will not let you metal detect near or around them do to history conservation. I live near one and they only let me metal detect around the two lakes near by

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many old furnaces that are in ruins and nothing special to anybody. Around the furnace itself there most likely will be slag and iron and possibly items related to the working of the furnace. There was typically a small village built around them, so there may be lot's of goodies around a furnace site. Alot of these furnaces ran company stores and paid workers in script that could only be redeemed at the company store. It all depends on what you like hunting for, I imagine there could be lots of relics from early iron making that are worth hunting for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions