A New Day

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changed the batteries in my GMT for my wife to use and charged up the batteries in my old trusty SD2100 for a hunt on the homestead . We found square nails of every size for bits of nails up to two inches long . I found a single jack head down about 8" inches thought I had a monster nugget . There's targets most anywhere you swing but have one area that's flat and right above some tailing pile's rectangular shaped that must have hundreds of nails . Its my property so I'm thinking of speeding up the operation by screening a small section at a time maybe a foot deep then run the detector over the hole . The nails are driving me nuts I'm sure its and old cabin site we found glass pottery some Chinese coins and a lot of other junk . Do any of you guys screen ?

Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool :thumbsup: Where are ya located at?? I have some cousins down around Forest Hills and over around Hayfork. I think both places are in gold country.
As far as screening goes, I have seen large screens ( 3' x 3' square) set up with 1/4" screen. They had ropes at the corners and were attached to a sort of like miniature swing set. Material is loaded into the screen and then two people get on opposite ends and start sifting back and forth. Works pretty good.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a triple layer screen one time. Top was open 1" stiff chicken wire mesh to trap the large stuff, second layer suspended 6" below was 1/2 mesh then bottom was 1/4 mesh suspended 3" below, all held together at corners and suspended on ropes similar to the way T.C recommended. Its slow going but easier then sifting the large stuff out and than having to resift for the smaller items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread