My experience with the Garrett Digger tool - Needed mods...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So... I have a Lesche digger tool (my favorite), and a Garrett Digger tool that came in a combo pack. Both my son and I agree the Lesche is superior in every way. Lighter, stronger, slides into the dirt easier and cuts like a champ.

The Garrett works, but the thickness makes cutting sod a bit harder (I think the angle of the bend in the blade also contributes to a bit of extra friction).

This last weekend, I came home with a bruised hand, because 1) I let my 11 year old son use the Lesche, which is easier for him, and 2) I used the palm of my right hand to help "push" the digger when sawing through turf. The weird little bent edge on the Garrett Digger just constantly jutted into my palm.

I couldn't stand it any longer and today I went to the garage and welded on a piece of scrap metal to help provide leverage (and a grip point). Works LIKE A CHAMP!

It ain't pretty (I'm not a welder or painter by trade, and only care if it's functional). but basically, I took the center flat metal piece of an old lawnmower blade holder, ground down the bumps, and then welded it to the handle of my digger tool. Following that, I black sprayed the whole thing with Rustoleum flat black paint, and then dried it with a hand heat gun. Followed that up with a latext coating (clear). The latex coating was from a really old can, and it came out in globs. It does the job, and will protect it plenty, but it ain't pretty!

The digger is SO much easier to hold and dig into the ground now! Highly recommend doing this if you find you need a little extra space to put your hand (or foot, if necessary).

As with most folks, I've also sharpened the cutting edges, too.

Cheers,

Skippy IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2166.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should note also, for those that are finding this post thinking about which to get (Garrett digger or Lesche). The Garrett bent on the second time out. It wasn't hard to bend back, but that's also something to think about. I've not been able to bend the Lesche while prying dirt clods. And when you've a bent digger tool it just is WEIRD trying to make cuts. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the combo pack stuff separate and saved the money for another Lesche. The steel just is a higher quality, and the handle doesn't cut into my palm.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks good.

I must be a lightweight though, because I have put most of my 180 pounds on my Garrett prying up frozen ground and it never bent.

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
I have both and choose the Lesche digger hands down to the Garrett. I have thought the Lesche was going to break (because I was abusing it ) but it is semi-indestructible. Just my two cents.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You buy any detector maker's digging tool .. Garrett .. Minelab .. Kekkyco .. and on & on all you get is junk .. To get a good sturdy tool that would be the Lesche or the one A.M.Leonard sells..

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Keppy, the mine lab and the Garrett bent right away get the lesche and avoid the hassle.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks good.

I must be a lightweight though, because I have put most of my 180 pounds on my Garrett prying up frozen ground and it never bent.

Must be, as my 110lb son was the one who bent it. he'd dug and was trying to pry up, and it bend at the handle part. I simply wedged it at my anvil in the garage and leaned on it a bit and it went back into shape. Was disappointing to have it bend.

For as heavy as the digger is (more so than the lesche), it certainly doesn't hold up as well, and is harder to use.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually use Treasure Wise T-12 more than the Lesche. It is easier to dig deeper holes with the T-12, but I guess my soil is easier to dig in. I actually liked the way the Garrett's tip removed more dirt than the Lesche and never bruised my hand or anything.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281085759667

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When trying to pry up frozen ground last year I had to stand on the handle of my digging tools (orange handles) to pry it up, didn't break, and did the job.
image.jpg

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good digger... Hows it work wtih cutting sod. One of the things I love about the Lesche is the ability to saw a U shape. It looks like this is more for dirt digging...

I actually use Treasure Wise T-12 more than the Lesche. It is easier to dig deeper holes with the T-12, but I guess my soil is easier to dig in. I actually liked the way the Garrett's tip removed more dirt than the Lesche and never bruised my hand or anything.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281085759667

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread