What else do I need to get started ?

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that if I get hooked on this hobby then I can start looking into several different accessories. After I figure out what metal detector I want to buy and I have one in my hands then what is the next most essentials ? Can I get by with a shovel, hand spade, or what else, just for starting out ? I will worry about a sand scoop later if I decide to go along the river banks. As far as digging down and sifting through the dirt what can I get by without buying ? Or what do you suggest the bare minimums ?

Upvote 0

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
As far as digging tools go, get a Lesche digger for doing parks and lawns. If in the woods a A Sampson T handle digger will serve you well. I would shy away from a regular shovel. A lot of folks frown on seeing someone with a detector and a shovel. Smaller digging tool the better. IMHO

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as digging tools go, get a Lesche digger for doing parks and lawns. If in the woods a A Sampson T handle digger will serve you well. I would shy away from a regular shovel. A lot of folks frown on seeing someone with a detector and a shovel. Smaller digging tool the better. IMHO

Sounds great. Thanks.
I think I have a smooth tipped screwdriver in my shed I can use as well.
What about a pinpointer for a beginner ?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointer is absolutely the way to go. It'll cut down on recovery time by a HUGE margin. That and you'll find for some finds it'll also reduce the digging requirement. Without a tool, you'll dig a bigger area, and have to sift through more.

And also check out the local requirements for where you intend to hunt. Some cities have ordinances in place that either 1) restrict Metal Detecting, 2) Limit locations and equipment 3) specify EXACTLY what you can use. Some cities even require permits (very often free, but you still need to have them).

For example, my city allows Metal Detecting without a permit, but you cannot use anything other than a tool that is less than 8" in depth, and no more than 1/4" wide. You MUST cut flaps (no full plugs allowed) to remove objects, and "carefully replace the dirt and flap, restoring the original condition."

The Lesche digger, in my opinion EXCELS at this task. It fits the bill, and cuts incredibly cleanly. The fact it's not "bent" much allows the blade to slide through the turf easily (if you're right handed, you'll find the left side serrations are probably what you want).

I also carry a thick steak knife (sounds funny, but it cuts sod like a beast), and I use it for digs that are less than 3-4". It's easier.

A carry bag is a must as well! I have several Garrett bags (like them alot), and I've also go a couple satchels I picked up at the Goodwill. You're looking for a satchel that allows you to have a big bag to put garbage, and a smaller zippered pouch INSIDE the big bag. This allows you to put both garbage and good finds into apparently the same location. There will be sometimes you'll find good stuff and you don't want to draw attention to yourself. And if people ask what you're finding and you're nervous about sharing, you can just reach into the pouch area and pull out a handful of can-slaw, bottle caps, and other garbage.

My personal line in such situations is "I get paid about $.60 an hour to pick up trash!" It usually keeps things light, and if you ever are pressed "did you find anything good?" and you're nervous, just tell them about how you did at some other experience...

The idea is to be an ambassador for the hobby, while keeping yourself safe. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a screw driver for years to probe and pop out shallow coins. Now days a Garrett "Carrot" is the best. You'll also need a carpenters apron with pocket for goodies and trash. In my neck of the woods you'll get a ticket if even seen with a Lasche or trowel in the parks or school yards.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my neck of the woods you'll get a ticket if even seen with a Lesche or trowel in the parks or school yards.

Wow. That's strict. Is that because of the holes or the perceived threat? I went for years with a Camillus copy of a KaBar Marine fighting knife! Bet they'd love that. My favorite non-threatening digger is one made by Trans-Mississippi Electronics. It doesn't look like a knife, the horizontal grip has tremendous leverage for a down-push and makes a nicely replaceable/blendable sod flap. Looks even less threatening now that it is a nice even brown weathered patina.
HPIM0173.jpg

For anywhere there may be roots I prefer my Lesche M85.

Depending on the detector you can get by without a pinpointer - but they save a LOT of time and aggravation and add a lot to your experience. I would put good headphones as a first priority before a pinpointer.

I found a hellacious big screwdriver (about 14" long and a 3/8" shaft) years ago at a flea market and by jabbing it in front of a coin and then pushing it away twice to make a "V" I can pop coins that are a few inches deep. Probes just bend in our hard-pan glacial sill once it gets summer dry.

Definitely need something to carry finds. Nail aprons are cheap (I remember free!) and a carpenter's belt tool pouch won't break the bank.

HPIM1702.jpg

You might also want to invest in a small note pad. (Sometimes free at banks). I keep track of the date, the location and what I found plus anything interesting (deep, silver, jewelry, TDI reading on an unusual coin, etc). Handy for future reference.

One of my handy "free" aids is a piece of a garden tractor inner tube. I cut a pie-shaped slice of about 1/5th the circumference and then slit the inner wall. It forms a natural scoop/bowl shape. I can put it over my knee when kneeling in the spring when the ground is damp, put the loose soil in it as I dig in the summer when it is dry - and then tip the dirt back in before replacing the plug so there is no dirt to dry and make it look like the digging killed the grass. This can be a big plus with suspicious groundskeepers.

Attachments

• 8880819.jpg
    8880819.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 141

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my handy "free" aids is a piece of a garden tractor inner tube. I cut a pie-shaped slice of about 1/5th the circumference and then slit the inner wall. It forms a natural scoop/bowl shape. I can put it over my knee when kneeling in the spring when the ground is damp, put the loose soil in it as I dig in the summer when it is dry - and then tip the dirt back in before replacing the plug so there is no dirt to dry and make it look like the digging killed the grass. This can be a big plus with suspicious groundskeepers.

Whew, that's a really interesting rubber garden tractor inner tube. I LOVE how it comes with a top mount vertical feed magazine. I need to get one of those inner tubes!

In America, our 2nd amendment rights include inner tubes with magazine feeds. :)

Made me laugh! :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harumph! How'd that get in there? That was from hours ago in the "What Is It" area. Weird it is a "thumbnail" instead of a link???? Gremlins.

Nobody give me lip about digging up the park when I have that with me. ;-)

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nobody give me lip about digging up the park when I have that with me. ;-)

I strongly Suspect that I'd start to have issues, even though Idaho is an open carry state... Something about setting up your metal detector with a tripod mounted assault rifle that would probably make the soccer kids parents nervous.

And forget about concealed carrying that thing while wearing shorts. :)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mudball, a nice digging tool is great to have, but if you
would rather spend that extra on getting a better detector,
then don't worry about it.

I started detecting back in the 60's, and never had a
pinpointer until a few years ago. Dug tons of targets
(literally) and found the item by seeing it, or waving a
handful of dirt over the coil.

Most important is to learn how to dig a clean plug, and if
if you don't want to spend the $ for a digger, then a garden
trowel can work just fine. It is easier with a Lesche or other
digging tool, but a trowel will certainly get the job done.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending what detector you go with many companies sell a package deal. detector, digger, pouch, pointer and headphones. (check all the online stores and see their package deals. Might be worth the couple of extra bucks). Then the stuff is under warrenty, chances are the package deals include a lesche digger or garrett digger and propointer. Hope this helps! Cheers and good luck.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent information.
Thanks for all the great advice.