Be honest

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say I dont have a pinpointer. So how many of you remember or have you ever grabbed a hand full of dirt and run by the coil and it sounds off and there somewhere in your hand is the relic ! But I couldnt find anything. I grab another handful and the same thing. Oh yes and then after about the third time my right side of my brain finally made a connection with my left side and I figured out it was my wedding ring. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Tell it all brother".... I don't believe I'd told that one though!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Or have a metal clip on your glove. Or a metal sliver stuck in your glove. Or have a small percussion cap stuck in the dirt on the end of your pinpointer.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I as most do use a pinpointer, but theres nothing wrong with waving a fistful of dirt over the coil. Benefit is you get the sound ID. I have to give it a try for
a change-though I'd not ever go without a pointer.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I as most do use a pinpointer, but theres nothing wrong with waving a fistful of dirt over the coil. Benefit is you get the sound ID. I have to give it a try for
a change-though I'd not ever go without a pointer.

Try it without it......you won't like it.:laughing7:

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I work in a machine shop and frequently go detecting after work. I hate to admit how many times my steel toed boots have made me stop and take time looking for a target that isn't really there.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all of us have done that. It's part of the game.

Heck, I ordered a Garrett "Carrot" and I hardly land hunt. However there are these beaches where detecting isn't allowed during the summer cause it bothers swimmers that I'm thinking of using it while I swim. It' not a law, just policy. I've been hired to find lost keys, etc. and always found couple rings too at these beaches.
Garrett Carrot.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I feel better now knowing Im not the only one.
Thanks for the replies.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there done that More than Once!! HH Chug

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife did that one day cache hunting. You hear the sound of gold and go running to see a smiling wife lol. She nulled out the coil and was testing to see if it worked.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh crud, I think I do that just about EVERY time I get out there, and I HAVE a pinpointer. I hold up the grass plug with my left hand and start scanning with the pinpointer. If there's no target in the hold, I start scanning the plug, inevitably, I'll get too close to my wedding ring, and BEEP! Then I start looking and moving, and the target MOVES. I dutifully follow it digging the plug the whole time... Usually less than 10 seconds into the dig, I feel stupid.

That's when the ring comes off and goes into my pants pocket (where I never put anything or retrieve anything, making it safe).

Skippy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about the guy who thinks his MD only works good on the weekends? Goes hunting everyday after work and complains that his new MD sounds off too much but on Saturday or Sunday finds good solid targets. Did I mention that the guy worked where steel toe boots are a requirement. Only took a couple weeks to solve that mystery.

vilechild

Jan 20, 2015
Upstate, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While relic hunting in the woods I tend to forget I'm dragging my Piranha digger in my left hand. End up picking it up with the tector makes you do the sudden stop then you hit that "oh yea" "keep going stupid" moment.

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
Ok I always use the pin pointer and do something similar sometimes. I use the Whites TRX and after I dig and flip my plug I tend to lay my Lesche tool next to the hole "6-8 inches away" and in the excitement have searched the hole for a minute or two on the tool side, only to move the digger and have the target in the plug. That pin point is a lot more sensitive that the ones I used before.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there and done that. Sometime along the way, it occurred to me that a target so small I couldn't see it in a handful of dirt might not be worth the effort. In reality they are usually small pieces of wire, lead shot etc. Even a dime shows up more readily.
luvsdux

KBookerT

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even with the Pro Pointer I have held a handful of dirt and worked all the way down to my glove just to discover it was my wedding ring under my glove.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread