EXPERIENCED BEACH DETECTORIST NEEDED!!!

Kiwibound

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
WHITES XL-PRO TESORO SILVER UMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY EVERYONE,

I WILL BE ON A TRIP TO NEW ZEALAND IN MAY, WITH A VERY LIKELIHOOD OF LIVING THERE IN THE FUTURE.

I REALIZE THAT I WILL BE GETTING LOTS OF OPINIONS WHEN ASKING THIS QUESTION, BUT AM HOPING TO GET ANSWERS ONLY FROM ONES THAT REALLY KNOW THE HEART AND SOUL OF THEIR BEACH DETECTORS. WITH THAT BEING SAID, HERE IS MY QUESTION...

I AM WANTING TO INVEST IN THE BEST POSSIBLE BEACH DETECTOR FOR USING WHEN I GET TO NEW ZEALAND. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF MINERALIZATION THEY HAVE, BUT DO KNOW SOME BEACH AREAS HAVE BLACK SAND. PRICE RANGE BELOW $1000. MY INTENTIONS ARE TO HUNT MAINLY FOR RINGS AND SMALL JEWELRY. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO AS CLOSE TO IF NOT INTO SHALLOW WATER... IN THE WATER, NOT A NECESSITY. I HAVE OWNED LAND MACHINES WHITES, TESORO, AND FISHER, OFF AND ON SINCE 1975. I HAVE READ SOME GREAT THINGS ON THE XP DEUS AND WOULDN'T EVEN MIND A BEACH/LAND DETECTOR. AN IDEAL SETUP, WOULD BE TO HAVE A DETECTOR THAT I COULD USE 75% ON THE BEACH AND 25% ON LAND, BUT KNOW THIS MAY BE WANTING A LITTLE MUCH. I HAVE NEVER OWNED A BEACH DETECTOR AND JUST WANT TO MAKE WHEN I GET THERE, THAT I HAVEN'T WASTED MONEY ON A DETECTOR THAT IS NOT SUITED TO THAT REGION. I REALIZE MINELABS ARE FROM AUSTRALIA, BUT I DEFINITELY AM OPEN TO (ANY) BRAND.

WHAT TERRIFIC SITE AND COMMUNITY... ANY ADVICE ON THIS MATTER WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a 3 week vacation there. I brought my E-trac and it worked fine in all the areas I hunted, including the black sand beach at Piha. If I was to do it over again, I would have brought my Excalibur too, even if I had to pay for an additional bag. If you want discrimination, it's hard to beat a Minelab at the beach. If you're hunting an area without much iron, you can get away with a PI machine. With your price limitations, I'd either get a used E-trac, or Exlorer SE and maybe have enough left over for a used PI for surf hunting. If you could increase your budget or get a heck of a deal on a used one, I'd put a CTX3030 at the top of the list.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Excal is the best beach detector for wet saltwater or dry sand. Many land machines work on the dry sand but soon the salt environment gets to the guts. You should have a totally waterproof unit whether your planning on the water or not. A used CZ-21 will excel too along with a Whites Beachhunter as those have more than one frequency to work in the salt. Someone is going to suggest an AT Pro and I can't recommend them for salt water beaches as they are chatty. A Tesoro Sand Shark is a PI and very deep and under $1000 new but loves iron so disc is almost nil. However it might be your best choice.:thumbsup:
View attachment Flies and Baits 237.bmp Sand Shark.gif

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal all day! I used mine on land for coin shooting until a got a Safari. The excal travels well and is very robust. Don't forget your power adaptor!!! My hunt was cut short in Peru when I plugged directly into the wall instantly killing the inverter. Harder to travel with is a scoop.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiwi, your stated 75% on the beach and 25% on the land.
I use a SE pro on the beach, and even in the water, is this good for it, NO, I know sooner or later it is going to have problems from the salt.
I use a Excal in the water or on the beach, depending on which coil I have on it.
From what you have stated in my opinion your best bet is to get a used Excal.
You can pick one up for as low as 650 and it will suit what you are looking for the time being.

Main reason, it is a sealed unit, so it will not corrode on the inside of the control box, it is water proof, so you can enjoy it on the beach or in the water and not have to worry about it.

Yes, you can spend the money and buy a land machine that will work on the sand, but sooner or later the internals are going to go on the fitz from the salt contamination. Get a used Excal for now use it on the sand and in the water, then later get you a land machine for that 25% of the time you want to hunt the dry stuff.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
That Excal is the best beach detector for wet saltwater or dry sand. Many land machines work on the dry sand but soon the salt environment gets to the guts. You should have a totally waterproof unit whether your planning on the water or not. A used CZ-21 will excel too along with a Whites Beachhunter as those have more than one frequency to work in the salt. Someone is going to suggest an AT Pro and I can't recommend them for salt water beaches as they are chatty. A Tesoro Sand Shark is a PI and very deep and under $1000 new but loves iron so disc is almost nil. However it might be your best choice.:thumbsup:
View attachment 1132011 View attachment 1132013

+1 for Sandman

Excalibur II, CZ-21 (very similar to Excalibur, need to like it's ergonomic), CTX 3030...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread