research tips for newbies

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
i was wondering if anyone can give me tips on researching areas,
like where are the best places to look for records or maps of old homesteads ect. i would like to find more old stuff in my area but seems that everthing on the web leads to a dead end and not much info is given
if you could give me tips on where to start and what to look for i would really appriciate it
thanks in advance

Attachments

• 6-12 good stuff.JPG
    6-12 good stuff.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
  • forgeignspill.JPG
    forgeignspill.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 45
  • arrowhead.JPG
    arrowhead.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 32
  • button n tag.JPG
    button n tag.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
  • lock bell.JPG
    lock bell.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 38
  • things6-12.JPG
    things6-12.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 47
  • pin sides.JPG
    pin sides.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 38
  • metalcar.JPG
    metalcar.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Research

need to know what state your in, what type of hunting you plan to do. knowing the state will help with stuff you can use for locating areas to search. boomer

Attachments

• assorted jewelry.JPG
    assorted jewelry.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 41
  • zsx.jpeg
    zsx.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 12-11 finds.JPG
    12-11 finds.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 27
F

fueller

I'll second that request, I stumbled into a C.W. site that has worked out well for me so far, but the online research I've tried has not been very productive. How about in MO, (Pleasant Hill/Lee's Summit/Lone Jack area) how would one go about getting old homestead maps as well as C.W. camp/battle/troop movement info????? I'm interested in coins and C.W. relics. Thanks in advance and don't forget the original person that started this thread.

Attachments

• loot.JPG
    loot.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 28
  • cut.JPG
    cut.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 33
  • fishn.JPG
    fishn.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 24
  • panama82.JPG
    panama82.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 45
  • unknown.JPG
    unknown.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 28
  • me4.JPG
    me4.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 23
  • stainless.JPG
    stainless.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 20
  • foreign coins found.JPG
    foreign coins found.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 26
  • arrowhead.JPG
    arrowhead.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
C

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
whoops forgot to add that
im in san diego ca
im planning on doing relic/coin hunting, i have some places id like to check out but dont know anything about, and would also like to find other places, its getting harder cause off mass development going on in the last of the rural areas, any help would be appricated
thanks again in advance

Attachments

• 2012-07-14 12.02.20.jpg
    2012-07-14 12.02.20.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 19

allyourbase

Oct 1, 2003
NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have read this somewhere not sure where but it is a good idea anyway, try

http://terraserver-usa.com/

and drill down on your area if it is covered, you can see sites from above that can show some ground features that you can't see while walking around.

good luck

ayb

OP
OP
C

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
thanks, this is a good topo map site, but i need to know how to research places and look for old homesteads, ive found a old stone house off in the middle of nowhere, but havent been there in about 4 years they have just started construction around the area, i think its still there but not much time, this area used to have the old butterfield stage route through it so im wanted to see if that had anything to do with this building, also just want to find stuff other than the beach, since i have or had lots of canyons around me
thanks again for the site

S

srdraftcad

For coinshooting; beaches
For Relic hunting; Old churches,old spanish fort, etc.
Remember, National Park is "off limit" for metal detector.

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
All National and State parks are not "off limits" as you say, they very from state to state. At most of the Parks you can get permits to hunt in certain areas. Also, the National parks let MD clubs in to hunt all the time, this is good if you want experience.

My favorite thing that I do when I go to an area is to get a topo map or old map of the area to see what was there. On most topo maps, a structure in "black" was there prior to @ 1929, everything in "purple" was there in 1976. I have found tons of abandoned places like that!

HH
Chiz
8)

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Old Maps

Getting old maps, is the heart of relic and civil war hunting. there are so many abandoned home and townsites out there and remember sometimes new was built over old. both of you are in prime locations. what i do is try to locate old wagon trail maps that showed sites that the settlers would use to ford a stream, a likely camp area. in some cases the camp area would also become a stage stop later on. don't forget the spanish were in both areas and they were their to find gold and silver.

Where to find maps:
Local library:
Sometimes an over-looked area is the genealogy department. a lot of times they have county, early city maps and plot maps. civil war lists of people who joined. showing where they trained, battles they were in and don't forget to ask if they have copies of diaries of men from the local area. a lot of civil war diaries give clues to where they camped and battles. microfilm of old news papers of the civil war and early building projects.

Local historical groups:
History of the county and research materal

County courthouse:
Land survey maps, plot maps, tax maps. old street maps.

Web site:
This site when first using it is a little nerve wracking. use search to find what you are wanting. say: Old Cal. or Mo. maps. Civil war, civil war diaries, old county maps. this site has so much for finding locations and history.
its just in the way you ask.

Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites Top Pick
Extensive directory of annotated genealogical links relates to countries, churches, and societies.
www.cyndislist.com

leave a message if you have anything i can help with. boomer

S

srdraftcad

Chiz
All National and State parks are not "off limits"

Most "National park are Off Limits".There is exception in some cases because the tradition/law of some region. For example in AZ there is a National Park where MD is permissible- Prescott national Park. why?
because the use of metal detector to detect gold is considered prospecting and is subject to the provisions of the general Mining Law of 1872.

However if you(chiz) go to "Great Fall National Park in Potomac River"
You will "denied" or "reject"to use the MD.
If you go to any "Battle field National Park you will recieve a "NOT"
If you go to Gettysburg National Military Park you will hear a "NOT"
If you go to Assateague Island National Seashore you will see a "NOT"
If you go to Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge you will (?) a "NOT"
Even I don't recommend to any Tr' hunter detect in Fairfax Co. VA they are not friendly with the MD.(My personal experience) :wink:

About the state park "sometime" they are "flexible" with the detectorist.
In Delaware state at Cape henlopen state park they permit you detect only in the beach area. I love detect there.

My best recommendation is; First "DO NO LISTEN TO CHIZ". Listen the expert: look what Mr.Garrett say;

"NATIONAL and STATE parks, monuments, military sites, etc., are absolutely "off limits."

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hob-hun-tip.asp

When you (chaos11624) have time and money, fly to any island in the Caribbean. Here in USA is "over crowed"
of TR's Hunter. When you think to go detecting in some place, somebody else has been before than you! :shock: For more inf. about where to detect in the Caribbean send me a PM :wink:

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
We seem to have a problem

srdraftcad is wrong as usual, if you apply for a federal prospecting permit. alot of new locations are opened up. has far as hunting goes it depends on the location, like a protectoret of a sovern state like porto rico, the u.s virgin islands. national forests are open to hunting except where they may cross native american lands. and then you must be approved by the trible leaders. if you get an ok to hunt a certain area, make sure it is in writing. national seashores are a no, no, also wild life areas. check with the local area officer in charge of the location. before going into something that can ruin your day.

OP
OP
C

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
thanks for all the good info guys
i think i now have a footing of where i need to start
i also know of a old mill thats off in some forest dont think i have too much MD cometion in spots im looking i think most go to the beaches
rather than inland cause of the remoteness of these places are the kind you just stumble upon while off roading somewhere or what not
im still trying to find that old house again, they been developing but i have hopes that its still there. i still have some saving to do before i get my mxt but until then im gonna research like crazy,
also for records and maps and stuff from the county and the other sources you listed are there fees to look at them or to copy them
thanks for all your help guys
this site really gets people into this hobby

Attachments

• 0601112130.jpg
    0601112130.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 0708112107.jpg
    0708112107.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 35
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 35

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Thanks Boomer... of course the idiot srdraftcad only posted that because it was me that posted without researching it... I have the permits for over 15 sites and parks, and those of us who know are better off anyway.

Chaos, if in doubt, go to the main office of any park that you wish to hunt. They can only say no or sorry. I go off roading all the time and find new places that is the funnest part!

Good luck!!!

HH
Chiz
8)

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
county cost, maps

it depends on the county. alot of times if you live in the county there is no charge. at most you may pay a small fee for the copy. but it is well worth the cost. if its a lady that i talk to, i tell them that people say you are the one to talk too. that you are the best at finding stuff for people. same for men, it makes there day and it saves you money on copies. good luck. boomer

S

srdraftcad

Chiz said

They can only say no or sorry

You're the KING OF ALL STUPID. You're saying in other form exactly what I post. jejejejejejejejjejejejejejejejejejejej
jejejejejejejejejejejejejejejejejjejejej

Chiz,every time you hang out with Walt S. you turn more idiot. :shock:

Chaos, detect in beaches, it's the best place to start. Forget state and National park. Do not listen to chiz. :wink: When you have more experience in Metal detecting, then deal with Parks permit, meanwhile, listen to me. Chiz only have 1-1/2 month of experience and he use a "$49.99 Radio Shack Detector"

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Wow... hey idiot, stick to your LRL's.... you are nothing but a thorn in everyones side right now. you mask trying to help with attacks... still... I think they know that all your posts are BS so just stop for everyones sake. You have no idea what you are saying to begin with and that is a waste of time and space....

The funny thing is you put everyone else down and also post all the childish first grade stuff. YOU are the biggest Idiot on the board, at least the others are comic relief, you are just plain hatefull. Stop ruining others posts for your pleasure. Now go play with the other children nicley and get that thumb out of your mouth.

8)

S

srdraftcad

Chiz
I ask you for sencond time the same question

"Who really star to insult since the beginning of the topic? calling"idiots"
tell me...who?

There is many people that likes to insult, to shame,even commit open and direct act of racism against others, however when they're treated with the same "medicine" by a tough guy then they cry like a baby.This is your case. I'm a good person that likes to respect others but if I receive insult or to treat badly like "idiots" or something unfairly I will treat you the same way.....If there is a really "thorn" in this forum is you and your friends! :x If you don't like it I'm very,very,very sorry for you. I going to keep in this forum. you got your forum, keep there, attend your business.

Attachments

• 2012-07-28 11.58.00.jpg
    2012-07-28 11.58.00.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2012-07-28 11.59.42.jpg
    2012-07-28 11.59.42.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 2012-07-28 12.00.00.jpg
    2012-07-28 12.00.00.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2012-07-28 12.00.23.jpg
    2012-07-28 12.00.23.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 20

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here's one of the many sites where you can get OAR online: http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html . OAR is the Official Army Records of the Union and Confederate actions. Now this might leave out some of the bivouacs, raider activity and miscellany, but it contains great info on every action report and troop movement during the war.

I love going to small town libraries and asking them if they have old atlases. Usual response is "I don't know, let's see" which usually results in more info and sites than I was interested in originally. Most old atlases here in the midwest can be compared to later ones to show the migration of towns as railroads came in, this is the best way to locate an old town in a current cornfield. Take your copies from these old maps and print tranparencies, overlay them on modern maps and see how easy it is to define the lay of the land and potential for recovery.

Also the USGS has arial and satelite imaging of pretty much everywhere you might want to go. I have gotten both B/W and I/R copies of areas of interest from them, at cost of course but these are high res images. And the ability to see into the past with these is excellent. I/R images can bring out buried foundations of old sites.

That's good for finding otherwise unknown areas where ever you live, but it applies to some areas moreso than others. State parks here in Illinois are MD'able at the discretion of the park ranger. Starved Rock is one where it is clearly posted no MD'ing.

As for old maps, you'll find the ones from the mid to late 19th century are much better than those from early 20th century map makers. Seems cartographers doing atlas work up through the 30's did not like curved lines so they just straightened out the roads and property lines, etc.. The curves in the older maps match up better with modern maps than the ones from the period of the early 20th century.

I'm currently working an area where there was a river crossing from the 1830's to 1850's, before bridgers became necessary. I sent both an old map of the site I'm working and a current one to one of the forum "map dowsers" and there was extrordinary correlation between his read on the map and my homework. To date however I have only recovered some camp items such as old cookware, horseshoes and wagon wheel remains. And of course fishing sinkers by the pound and about 1800 lbs. of boxcar iron (brakes,hitches, rods etc.) from a train wreck. But that's where it starts. As a treasure hunter, you'll determine where it ends. Have fun!

Attachments

• 100_2666 (1024x764).jpg
    100_2666 (1024x764).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,893
  • 100_2668 (1024x764).jpg
    100_2668 (1024x764).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_2670 (1024x764).jpg
    100_2670 (1024x764).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2672 (1024x764).jpg
    100_2672 (1024x764).jpg