Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you that regularly detect in the water at beaches seem to find more rings and jewelry in the water than anywhere else? When I say detect in the water I mean actually getting in up to your waist and giving the swim area a good scan. Just curious to see what people's experiences have been. Thanks.

Yes, up to chest deep....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My experience at my beaches here, is that there will be the same ratios (of coins versus rings) on the intertidal wet, as opposed to battling the surf and wading out.

There *could* be a situation where there is a "boil" or "break" point in the surf, where the heaviest targets are right at the water's edge (causing you to need to be in and out of the ebbing surf, which can be dangerous, depending on conditions). But other times the sinkers and heavy items are left at points not-necessarily out in the water, or at the surf's edge.

If you were in a lake or placid bay/cove type lagoon type of formation, where .......scores of people swim and frolick out beyond the lowest low tide mark (such that you can never access it by low tides), then you could be benefitted by going out there. But if it's a case of open ocean-facing beaches, then the sand that's "out there", will simply be the sand that's "up here" the following year (as sand and targets are not stationary).

I guess the bottom line is: There no one size fits all, for all beachs, at all times. I just know that where I'm at, you'd be trashed around and doing everything you could to try to hunt off-shore in our wave zone. Or even scuba for that matter (as current will pull you around as you fight like heck to stay-on-targets.) Contrast to hunting on the wet sand, and you can have freedom of movement, vision, digging, etc....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much surf in Minnesota....

I have hunted in the water/surf in Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Cocoa, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Key Biscayne, Anna Marie Island, St Pete, Hilton Head Island and Charleston SC so far.

Last edited:

killroy

Feb 5, 2015
douglass,ks
Detector(s) used
AT Gold AT Pro ACE 150 Fisher F11 AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to try my luck out at the 8-mile creek and a pond just nearby
the walnut river is less than a mile away too I will give the AT Pro a
good workout this spring I will make a post of my finds soon!!!!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much surf in Minnesota....

Very true however I find Tom's response very interesting, I had never taken into account the tides and such that the ocean detectors deal with, also from what he said sounds like without having any current or tide it may pay to wade in deeper and see what you can find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes,I also hunt lakes sometimes, found gold chest deep..

Salt water beach hunting is a different beast but can be very rewarding..

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is in the water...I think much more is lost in the water than on land...I know there is less trash in the water.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the best hunting right now is in New England, on the Wet sand / Rocks. Best to rate a area on the Surf / tides, amount of traffic, history, water temps and "your abilities to swim"... And the deadly word's Beach replenishment...

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt mostly fresh water, and while many rings are lost in waste to neck deep water, don't over look the knee to ankle deep water. I find some nice rings with ice in this area where moms play with toddlers. In these lakes, things pretty much stay where they drop till we come along and find em. Not sure what you have in MN, but the marl bottoms we have here keep objects from sinking. The hard part is getting your target off the top of the slimmy crap.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you that regularly detect in the water at beaches seem to find more rings and jewelry in the water than anywhere else? When I say detect in the water I mean actually getting in up to your waist and giving the swim area a good scan. Just curious to see what people's experiences have been. Thanks.
Getting up to your waist to detect our local oceanfront beaches is about the upper limit of what you can reasonably do. Any deeper and you just can't stay over the target and make a recovery. Occasionally, on a real calm day, you can go a bit deeper, maybe mid chest, but any kind of surf moves you around too much. In a protected area like a bay or lake, you can go deeper. As for targets, I find less junk out in the water and more good finds, but, less finds overall, than I do in the dry sand. Mostly because there are many more hunters in the dry sand. I've also had great luck in the wet sand and on the slope from water to dry. You need to hunt where the targets are rather than where you want them to be. Being able to read that particular beach is the most important factor.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt mostly fresh water, and while many rings are lost in waste to neck deep water, don't over look the knee to ankle deep water. I find some nice rings with ice in this area where moms play with toddlers. In these lakes, things pretty much stay where they drop till we come along and find em. Not sure what you have in MN, but the marl bottoms we have here keep objects from sinking. The hard part is getting your target off the top of the slimmy crap.
Ive made some nice gold finds in knee deep water...knee deep and waist deep are my two hot spots.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive made some nice gold finds in knee deep water...knee deep and waist deep are my two hot spots.
Like that 999! Wow!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great replies! I will be detecting almost exclusively lakes, there are a lot of them here and a lot of them have beaches, sounds to me like unless someone else got out there before me with a detector there should be a few goodies to find. Getting a little sick of clad and it seems no matter how much research I do or how much I detect I can't seem to come up with any old coins. I think the water will be my main focus this summer, plus if my shoulder gets tired I can always switch gears and fish for a while:thumbsup: I can't wait to get in the water, the idea of less trash(even with fewer finds) is also very appealing to me!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy the water but I think you'll find that freshwater is full of all kinds of trash that does not deteriorate like it does in saltwater. Small pieces of fish hooks, lures, nails, , cheap sunglasses,bobby pins, splitshot, foil, bullets, screw caps, pull tabs,canslaw, big iron whatsits, just to name a few things I have found. I would wear gloves of some type when digging around and fanning the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoy the water but I think you'll find that freshwater is full of all kinds of trash that does not deteriorate like it does in saltwater. Small pieces of fish hooks, lures, nails, , cheap sunglasses,bobby pins, splitshot, foil, bullets, screw caps, pull tabs,canslaw, big iron whatsits, just to name a few things I have found. I would wear gloves of some type when digging around and fanning the bottom.

Awesome.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great replies! I will be detecting almost exclusively lakes, there are a lot of them here and a lot of them have beaches, sounds to me like unless someone else got out there before me with a detector there should be a few goodies to find. Getting a little sick of clad and it seems no matter how much research I do or how much I detect I can't seem to come up with any old coins. I think the water will be my main focus this summer, plus if my shoulder gets tired I can always switch gears and fish for a while:thumbsup: I can't wait to get in the water, the idea of less trash(even with fewer finds) is also very appealing to me!
Check your local ordinances governing each lake you plan to hunt. In some areas, the lakes are off-limits in the summer. In some counties, you need a permit too. The rules should be posted online......or at least at the county courthouse.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check your local ordinances governing each lake you plan to hunt. In some areas, the lakes are off-limits in the summer. In some counties, you need a permit too. The rules should be posted online......or at least at the county courthouse.

You bet:thumbsup: Luckily I live right on the border of another county, the county I live in has restrictions on water detecting all summer.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For you River Hunters Watch the High Low Tide Charts In you area, You might be surprised by the Drop when there is A Negative low tide Lets you Get into areas that you Can Never Reach Especially near the End Of Summer before the Rain Starts HH Hope this Tip Helps Everyone

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true, nails from old piers, tin cans are about the worst, and they've sunk very deep and even the excalibur makes them sound good. The only silver dollar, a 1921 morgan I found, was in with rotted tin cans. Like most will say, you have to dig some junk to get the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread