Just a bad day

vilechild

Jan 20, 2015
Upstate, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it me or does anyone else have those days that just don't go right. I head out to one of my usual spots and there's people everywhere. So I head to a couple other places (old high schools repurposed for other things) and yet again shot down on both, more people just standing around. So I just gave up and headed home grumbling. Just one of those days. But it leads me to a question I always tend to stay away from public places when people are in the area. Does anyone else do that or is it just me.

Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm game. Onlookers don't bother me....they can either come talk and show interest....mind their business....or they can piss right off.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like company either... no collection of people on private lawns/permissions

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stay away when a place is sorta crowded, just because of all the interruptions you get from "Whatcha finding" to "How much does a metal detector cost". Even been asked if they could borrow mine for a while. So yeah I tend to try to stay in uncrowded places.....

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to shy away but have never driven home because of crowds, I don't give up easily, if I am going detecting I'll find a place. Another thing I'll do if possible is start on the outskirts of the admiring and miring public, a lot of times the crowd dissipates, then I slither in to my desired area unscathed. Just happened to me this weekend.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to avoid crowds. If I'm at a place like a school, I just go where others aren't. So if I see people at the ball diamond, I might go over and hunt around the front doors of the school, or in the grass medians in the parking lot. If it's a park, I just go somewhere else on the grounds. There is almost always another place to go at the same location, assuming you're not at a really tiny park or other public place.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to hunt areas without a crowd, so, when I leave to go hunt, I have a plan A, a plan B, plan C, etc..............

OP
OP
vilechild

vilechild

Jan 20, 2015
Upstate, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew I wasn't the only one. I'm not really a people person so that has a lot to do with it. I do have a friend I go with and he's the type that doesn't have a care in the world, so usually its not a problem when he tags along. Its funny around where I live, I know there is a lot of people who detect but you never see any of them out. I've never had anyone say anything but I have gotten the 100 yard stare from some of the yuppie type transplants around here.

OP
OP
vilechild

vilechild

Jan 20, 2015
Upstate, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to hunt areas without a crowd, so, when I leave to go hunt, I have a plan A, a plan B, plan C, etc..............

Funny thing is at work I planned out my different places to go, I got to plan C, and threw up my hands. I was past ill. I got home and my wife looked at me and said, "I can tell it didn't go as planned" lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I do most of my hunting at night nowadays. The beach is an exception, but .... for a lot of other places, I like to "keep it simple". Detecting has connotations, and draws stares from lookie-lous. So I treat it kinda like nose-picking: Using discretion of timing "so as not to offend people". :)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it me or does anyone else have those days that just don't go right. I head out to one of my usual spots and there's people everywhere. So I head to a couple other places (old high schools repurposed for other things) and yet again shot down on both, more people just standing around. So I just gave up and headed home grumbling. Just one of those days. But it leads me to a question I always tend to stay away from public places when people are in the area. Does anyone else do that or is it just me.
Not just you. I do the same thing most of the time.
luvsdux

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I avoid the higher socio-economic areas when people are around. On the bad side of town, nobody says anything to me anyway... just a head nod... maybe.

Hunt the hood!

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm the same way OP. I avoid crowds if at all possible. One thing that bothers me about the summer months (other than the oppressive NC heat) is how there always seems to be kids on the school yards until late evening. Yes, I'll do some night hunting, but I don't enjoy that as much.

I also don't like detecting beside a busy road. Not only because all of the eyes, but you occasionally have some jacka$$ that wants to yell something when they drive by.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm the same way OP. I avoid crowds if at all possible. One thing that bothers me about the summer months (other than the oppressive NC heat) is how there always seems to be kids on the school yards until late evening. Yes, I'll do some night hunting, but I don't enjoy that as much.

I also don't like detecting beside a busy road. Not only because all of the eyes, but you occasionally have some jacka$$ that wants to yell something when they drive by.

Hey, that was me yelling at you the other day!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my first full hunt this year I headed to park I tried last year and found a spot loaded with quarters The ground was bone dry then and tough to dig, so I just cherry picked stuff near the top and planned to hit it as soon as spring came. Got to the park and to the section I wanted, no more than maybe 50 feet by 15 and saw another detectorist way off in the another corner of the park. Got to work and the guy comes over to introduce himself. That's fine but the darn bugger starts to detect just a few feet away from me in the area I intended to detect. I worked around him for a while then it just made me too crazy and I (dummy) moved. I found squat and he dug target after target. I was really annoyed at myself. Hunting close, in my book is a form of intimidation, and I should have stood up for myself.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my first full hunt this year I headed to park I tried last year and found a spot loaded with quarters The ground was bone dry then and tough to dig, so I just cherry picked stuff near the top and planned to hit it as soon as spring came. Got to the park and to the section I wanted, no more than maybe 50 feet by 15 and saw another detectorist way off in the another corner of the park. Got to work and the guy comes over to introduce himself. That's fine but the darn bugger starts to detect just a few feet away from me in the area I intended to detect. I worked around him for a while then it just made me too crazy and I (dummy) moved. I found squat and he dug target after target. I was really annoyed at myself. Hunting close, in my book is a form of intimidation, and I should have stood up for myself.
That was bad detecting etiquette on his part. He should have asked if it was ok to detect next to you.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer woods where I rarely encounter people ( critters another story) some woods are in areas where people hike/fish dog walking,etc. but this doesnt bother me.
At parks, I also pick spots away from other people,but after a while, I just disregard others and go where I want, although I'll never hunt near enough anyone
that it would bother them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread