Maybe theres more

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe there's more

O.k., I got an AT Pro last year, love it, great detector, very easy to learn, I have put a LOT of time in with this thing, starting to feel quite natural on my arm. I have read people talk about "mid level" detectors such as the one I own then see threads about how a guy may be missing out by not owning an upper echelon machine. What is REALLY the difference between a machine like an AT Pro and say one of the top shelf Minelab machines? Guess I am not opposed at this point to taking things to the next level, but I would like to know what the next level has to offer that I can't achieve with my current machine. Feel free to name drop favorite machines or maybe even YOU made the jump to a high end machine and noticed some huge advantages. ALL opinion's welcome! I may have to spend a few bucks for a second machine after this thread. Thanks for your opinions.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the AT Pro and an Excal II. I use the AT Pro in the dry sands and at parks. When I'm in the wet (salt) sands or surf, I bust out the Excal. I've found plenty of good things with each machine. To be honest, if I didn't live near salt water, the AT Pro would be the only machine I would own.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe that's what I am missing, not necessarily another machine is better, just nice to have different machines for different types of hunts/terrain??

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The ATP is an excellent machine. I used one, and found good stuff with it. I switched to a Deus, but not because it is "better", but mostly because it is easier. Deus is the lightest of all, I can swing it for 8 hours a day... I could not do this with the ATP. Deus is completely wireless, for me, this is a big deal... it makes the hunt a lot easier for me. The machine is good, no doubt about it, but I like the ease of use.

The machine that you know the best, is the best machine for you. If you do well with the ATP, stick with it.
GL&HH!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe upgrade your coils 1st.atp is a very capable machine and there are some interesting aftermarket and garrett coil options.check out nel coils...cool stuff

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bottlecap,

Here's my take on it from personal experience I've used entry level, mid range machines and high end machines.

My current everyday machine is a Tesoro DeLeon single tone beep and dig machine is the mid range.

Reason being it finds the goods and light and simple to use.....I may be missing some super deep finds but since I'm a park hunter primarily I'm not going to be digging craters to retrieve my targets anyway.

I have a Fisher F75 gathering dust reason being it's more complicated to use and that applies to most of the high end machines steeper learning curve to get the most out of them units.

Regards + HH

Bill

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan to get the 5x8 coil for my AT. I hear that it is a great coil!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe upgrade your coils 1st.atp is a very capable machine and there are some interesting aftermarket and garrett coil options.check out nel coils...cool stuff

I will definitely look into that, not sure why I didn't consider that before, guess I really wasn't aware a certain coil(different brand) would make much of a difference.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just looked into them a little bit, kinda spendy but I am interested. What exactly does a better coil give you? Better depth?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that's what I am missing, not necessarily another machine is better, just nice to have different machines for different types of hunts/terrain??

I agree with this 100% The better you know your machine and understand what it is telling you the better you will get. (A man who owns 30 different guns will most likely not shoot as good a a man who owns 2)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k., I got an AT Pro last year, love it, great detector, very easy to learn, I have put a LOT of time in with this thing, starting to feel quite natural on my arm. I have read people talk about "mid level" detectors such as the one I own then see threads about how a guy may be missing out by not owning an upper echelon machine. What is REALLY the difference between a machine like an AT Pro and say one of the top shelf Minelab machines? Guess I am not opposed at this point to taking things to the next level, but I would like to know what the next level has to offer that I can't achieve with my current machine. Feel free to name drop favorite machines or maybe even YOU made the jump to a high end machine and noticed some huge advantages. ALL opinion's welcome! I may have to spend a few bucks for a second machine after this thread. Thanks for your opinions.
In comparing the AT Pro with a Minelab E-trac or CTX3030, I think with the Minelab you get a bit more usable depth (maybe and inch or two in average mineralized ground, more in bad ground), more stability, and they seem to be better at picking out good targets among the bad. If all you do is hunt the sand in a tot lot, that may not mean much, but, in a junky, iron riddled, EMI infested, park, it can mean a lot. Also, in the wet sand/water at a salt water beach, it's no contest, Minelab.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In comparing the AT Pro with a Minelab E-trac or CTX3030, I think with the Minelab you get a bit more usable depth (maybe and inch or two in average mineralized ground, more in bad ground), more stability, and they seem to be better at picking out good targets among the bad. If all you do is hunt the sand in a tot lot, that may not mean much, but, in a junky, iron riddled, EMI infested, park, it can mean a lot. Also, in the wet sand/water at a salt water beach, it's no contest, Minelab.

I hunt parks a lot, of course some are much cleaner than others, but the majority of the time there is a LOT of garbage in the ground. No salt water for me, I live in Mn so the only water I hunt is fresh, although I have noticed even with the fresh water in wet sand sometimes I get some chatter. The points you have brought up appeal to me especially for parks. I have never owned anything other than my AT Pro so I guess I don't have much to compare against, maybe I'll try to hook up with someone around here who has Minelab and give it a shot. I just hear a lot of people talk about how much they like their Minelabs so I figured there must be a reason.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always nice to have a good backup machine. If you're finding targets at the depth limit of your ATP, and you can afford it, I'd get one that goes deeper than your ATP. I'd also recommend you get a small "sniper" type coil for your ATP. If you're hunting trashy parks, that can be the best accessory to have. Talk to some locals to see what works best for your particular parks. I've used both a White's Eagle SL90 and a Minelab E-trac in your area with good success. If you belong to a local club or group of hunters, you might be able to borrow a different machine to try. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread