What is fair ?

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking about looking around on two different peoples property. Both of these people are really good friends. They have already said I can come and search their property but I want to know what to do if I find something pretty valuable. I want to do the right thing if I do find something valuable because I feel like it would bother me if I just dont say anything to them should I find something. Should I just keep my mouth shut and then get them a equal/fair amount of a gift card that I think would be fair ?
What are some of the arrangements that have been made when it comes to MDing on a friends property ?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, my GOOD friends are like family. I'm not going to try to make money off of them. If they want what I find, it's theirs. If they want me to keep it or to do any kind of split, that's fine with me too. There are plenty of other places to hunt and things to find and keep.
Same here...if they are friends we will figure it out as we go...would probably end in a split...I know money can cause trouble between friends but Im not going to worry about making pre arrangements with friends...if they aren't friends its a whole different story.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with bottlecap. How BIG OF A TREASURE?? And how good of friends are they???? Ha Ha But really you say pretty valuable and friends. Some things are more important in life to others that valuable money wise. Like if I had something that couldn't be replaced from family that's gone. Or if the house was old, And I found something that went to the house for it's history. I would give it to them without a problem no matter what they said for a agreement. You say good friends. They were good enough to give you the ok. if you haven't talked it over yet and got lucky. Then I'll see you somewhere warm. Ha Ha Good luck.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too offer 50/50 on anything of real value!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt the around the homes of friends and family often. I always show them what I find but nobody has ever expressed interest in anything that I have found. I'd gladly give them something that I find if they ask for it.

I have a few family members who own old homes but I don't dare ask to hunt their lawns. They are the greedy types who already think everyone owes them something so I know it would be more hassle that it is worth if I found even a penny on their property.

If somebody is worried about what I will find and are making sure that they get "their share", then we do not see eye to eye and I won't hunt their property. I treat this as a hobby and never see it as a means to make money to get rich, I just enjoy the history and thrill of the hunt. If they are worried about claiming the riches that lurk under the grass, then they can spend the $$$$ on a detector and find it themselves.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I've seen this question posted in another thread, but I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to let me hunt their land, that's their choice, and it's probably best to have an arrangement struck before getting involved if it is with strangers. Important to note, if there is a find of historic significance and value, then the decision to report it has already been made for us. Everything else I'd offer to split if they are interested. Most often, they are going to say just keep it. When it comes to friends, I won't detect their properties until they have a detector and join me...that's what friends are for. Whenever I'm with anyone else, it's always keep what you dig. If it was my friend's ranch, I'd ask if they want anything I dug, as that's where courtesy comes in, and they'd decline...If we are hunting their land where even they wouldn't ever detect, it would be keep what you dig. I wouldn't impose on a friendship. Plenty of other places to hunt.

Ace 250

Jul 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me I would tell them what I found and if they ask for a slices of the$$ I would not just give them a slices but also show them how to find there own

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are real good friends like yours I would ask if they lost any sentimental items. It is a good idea to have a plan first, no surprises if the big one presents it's self! Usually doesn't but your prepared! GL. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread