Found an old farm field, got permission to detect it. How do I make the best of it?

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm somewhat new to metal detecting. So, I'd like to ask some opinions, maybe get some tips, etc. on how best to detect an old farm field.

First, a little bit of background...

On my way to work every day, I pass by a field that previously I've paid no mind to. But since getting into metal detecting, I started to notice peculiarities in the way the trees and bushes and whatnot that are growing in this field are aligned. The trees and shrubs are growing in rows. Most of the trees are young, some look planted on purpose, some look like weeds that were allowed to grow into trees.

Anyway, I see all of these rows of trees and bushes and in the middle is a small dirt access road.

So, over the last week or so I've been scouring historicaerials.com, Google maps, as well as my county's property records. I've come to find out that there used to be a small farm in this area. The rows of trees and bushes are located on where the farm's main field was.

Here is the farm circa 1958:

oldfarm.jpg

Here is a picture of the property circa 2013:

farmfield.jpg

Where the old farmhouse once was, a school and parking lot has been built. There is a small house right next to the driveway for the school. Which you can see in both the 1958 picture and the 2013 picture. Turns out, the owners of that small house are the descendants of the original owners of the farm. They no longer own the school property, but they do own the field next to it that contains the rows of trees and such. They have given me permission to hunt the field as well as their small property.

So, I'm asking you all here... what should my plan be? Should I start with the small dirt access road? Go down the length of it? Just pick a spot in the field and start detecting? Hit up the small property where the house is at the beginning of the driveway to the school first?

Any tips, suggestions, etc. are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I've looked over topographic maps going back to the 1890's and they all show a home site at or around where the farmhouse is located in the 1958 picture.

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I would start around the small house and access road with a smaller coil. Then hit the field with a larger one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me that there are two buildings on the 1958 map. One out by the main highway and the other down the access road in the clump of trees. The second one is probably a waste of time as that area was probably scraped when they built the school. The building close to the highway looks like it's farther from the access road now. Looks like the entrance road was moved to the left a bit when the school was built. Around that building would the place I would start. Unless the fields have other history other than farming, I would bet they would be a bust......unless you want to find rusty farm equipment. Now if there were any battles fought there, all bets are off!:laughing7:

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the small building by the main road in both pictures is now occupied by descendants of the original owners of the farm. I looked up the property records for that small house and it said it was built in 1966. But obviously something was in that exact spot prior to 1966, as is evidenced in the 1958 picture. I'm thinking that maybe there was originally a farm stand type store that was remodeled and converted into a house in 1966.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farm stand areas can be good for old coins.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go for it all but start at the house so your heart rate is up when you start finding the good stuff......gives you energy for the rest.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly where I would start in those pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread