Suggestions on an upgraded metal detector please!

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLVED: Replacing an Ace 250 ...but with what? A Tesoro Outlaw!

I've been detecting for around 15 years...I started out with a bounty hunter and about seven years ago purchased an Ace 250. It's nice and light and has a good sharp "ding" that makes it easy to pinpoint. However, it's downright terrible at ID'ing accurately. I'm looking for a new machine and really would love to hear some opinions!

Needs:
  • Good at ID'ing (my Ace 250 says "SILVER" on tin cans and iron any further than 2" down)
  • Good discrimination when I don't feel like digging up every nail
  • Lightweight (I weigh about 100lbs, so with a heavy detector I'd last about 10 minutes)

Wants:
  • Volume Control

I'm not sure what my price range is as I haven't looked at machines in so long, so I have no idea what to expect to pay for a nice machine. I'm not a pro, and I can only use it half the year here in North Dakota, so I'd like to buy something decent for a reasonable price although I know "reasonable" is completely subjective.

Any help, suggestions, or questions are welcome...I will do research on my own as well but value much higher the opinions of everyone here over advertising and Amazon reviews. Thanks all, I'm looking forward to detecting this year!

-----

UPDATE 2015/04/25
Most likely going with a Fisher F5 (and small coil) for its low weight, great features and analog control knobs. Thank you all for your help!

-----

UPDATE 2015/05/02
After letting the Fisher F5 marinate in my mind for a few days, I realized the features I picked it for could be found in just about all Tesoros... analog controls, no deep menus to navigate, excellent discrimination and great target separation.

After looking at as much information as I could absorb, watching videos and reading reviews, I decided the Tesoro machines were exactly what I was looking for. I have no need for a display, the detectors are amazingly light, and the target separation and disc seem second to none. I decided to go with the Outlaw as I found a great deal on one while searching for a nicely priced Vaquero. Really I think I'd be happy with most of their lineup past the Compadre ...but I think the fine-tune discrimination, manual ground balance, and re-tune features will be perfect for my needs. Not to mention it weighs all of 2.2 pounds...a half pound lighter than my Ace, a very light detector!

I definitely think there is no "best" detector out there as there are too many variables in the choice. For me, a display ended up being at the bottom of the list of importance ...for someone else, it may be at the top. There are many things that both new and experienced detectorists need to look at when buying a machine and we all value things at different levels of importance. I would highly recommend listing out each feature and need/want in a list and assigning a level of importance to them; it makes the choice less difficult and narrows down the options quickly.

The Outlaw I picked up was used and came with two coils, the 8" and a 5-3/4 which I think I'll try out first. Thank you all for your help, I'll put up an update once it arrives and I get some time with it. Maybe this thread can help someone else narrow down their choices in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab xterra 705 it's light and has great depth. I started with an ace 250 and never really liked it. The 705 is a great machine. I recently upgraded to the v3i and really like it but it feels quite a bit heavier than the minelab.

Last edited:

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their pet machines they like and will recommend to anyone for any purpose. Yes, the E-trac is great, but it is heavy and unbalanced. If the MXT is too heavy for you, then that really narrows things down. I'm hearing you say you do not much care for the Ace 250 and would like to move away from Garrett. That crosses off the AT Pro, an otherwise good machine and way better than your Ace, but at the same time very similar to your Ace.

Having used almost all of the detectors suggested so far, my recommendation would be the Omega 8000 or xterra 705. Good performance, good ID'ing that goes deep, easy to use, and are very light and well-balanced, especially the Omega.

OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across some great reviews of the F75...anyone have first-hand experience? I'm getting it narrowed down further and hope to make a decision this week. So many great detectors to choose from!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staci - Something to keep in mind, once you get really good at any higher priced detector; It's all about that sound. I have the E-Trac - I paid for the advanced technology not the screen. I never look at the screen, I know what I hit by sound alone......and you will get there also.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A more expensive detector is probably not going to find much more than your Ace. And not pick up trash or nails either. It sounds like you want a machine that IDs a nail as a nail and a coin as a coin. They are all going to detect close to the same, some a few inches deeper, some discing out iron better, but all in all, the machine only does part of the work. Are you sure there are treasures in the trash areas you hunt? Could they have been hit already? There are some that excel with the Ace. And yes, the AT Pro is a glorified Ace 250. But a person detecting with an AT Pro will find the same targets as a person with an MXT Pro. It comes down to...........do you know your detector?. There are many variables a detector uses to define a target. And these variables can be affected by different forces like mineralization, moisture, heat, etc. Just because your Ace lights up a block under dime means that it is a dime. Many things can light up that same box, even a soda can.

Detecting is an art in which the more time you put into it, the more experienced you become. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Tesoro's are great detectors. But unless you learn it's language, which is sound, you're going to dig lots of junk as well. F75s and MXT Pros are usually machines people work up to. Don't get the illusion it's going to be easier to find jewelry/coins. What you need is more information on what a target may be than the Ace is giving you. If you went Tesoro, the Deleon and Cortez is best for what you search. Whites are heavier machines but get the job done. Maybe a Coinmaster GT, as you really need to use the conductivity scale matching it with proper sound. The Fisher F5 has a confidence meter that would help, and do most of what the F75 would do at half the price. Lots of setup though each time you hunt as it has no memory. The ATPro is a different monster than the Ace, with advanced features for those moving from the 150/250/350, staying with the same process and flooding it with more options for ground control, sound variance and numeric ID. To me, the XTerras do not break down the conductivity scale as well as a 1-99 machine. But they are deep and have a great following.

Staci, I don't desire to confuse you more. But if you are discouraged with a $220 Ace detector, I'd hate to see you purchase a $700-$1000 detector and be just as discouraged. Maybe you just need to move a step up to a midranged detector with a better ID circuit and a conductivity readout. Whether you choose all sound, or sound and numeric ID, don't get discouraged. We all had to earn, and we all find lots of junk, no matter the detector.

OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the key is knowing your detector in doing well with it. I've been detecting for quite a while...in fact, I've had my Ace 250 for some years (7+) now and have hundreds of hours with it. I purchased the 250 as an upgrade to my old Bounty Hunter I'd had since my Dad gave it to me around 11 and have never been as satisfied with it as I was with the BH.

I'm not discouraged, just disappointed in the machine as I did think it would be better than the old one, and my own experience is that it just isn't for me. I'm not looking for a machine that's 100% accurate to dig only the best targets, just something faster and more accurate that what I have. And something I enjoy using. The BH was an old machine when I got it, it had no screen, but I loved it and got to be very good with it.

I'm in search of a detector that suits me better, and gives me more information. I'm not intimidated by a learning curve or by needing to process a lot of different information myself as given by some machines. Even with all its new technology, the 250 has from the beginning felt like a "dumbed-down" machine from my first one...just prettier and with a screen that is most times not useful. I'd like something that is better at discerning iron and trash from good stuff...I don't mean perfect discrimination, but definitely faster recovery so I can hear the coins between the nails and pop tops. There is a reason some machines are more expensive, and I'm looking for more than what the Ace has given me. I sincerely appreciate the help from everyone and will post again as I narrow down the choices, any opinions are welcome!

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreeably the Ace is an older design with a slow recovery rate. Minelabs seem to be lacking in that area as well. The fastest recovery rates seem to be alloted to Fisher/Teks/BH Pros (FTP) and Tesoros. Even my only White's didn't have as fast recovery, but that doesn't mean the higher end MXT doesn't. Even the newer LTDs by Fisher went though a revision change to increase recovery speed, depth and less EMI. You would notice the increased recovery speed on the AT Pro as well, since Garrett finally improved their process over an outdated one.

It may be to your benefit to wait for the new F44 coming out in a few weeks. I'm sure it will be state of the art of the best Fisher and FTP has to offer to date in a light and powerful package.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Staci,

The analog vs. digital is a debate that will never end. Actually the Tesoro's are not truly analog as most do have micro processors. They get called analog because they have knobs instead of a display. I use Tesoro and know them well so they work for me. Others love all digital and do well with them.

I would look seriously at:

Xterra 505- all the performance of a 705, a few less features, cost less. Only drawback is the price of additional coils- if you need them.

Omega- Lots of bang for the buck, good on deep coins, big display

MX5- I was going to say MXT, but you crossed that off your list, mostly due to weight I assume. From what I have heard the MX5 is the digital version of the MXT. I got to play with a MXT and have never seen a detector that could tell the difference between pulltabs and nickels as consistently as it did. I was impressed.

Deleon- Guys that have them love them. Great coin finder with good midrange target identification. Anything over a number of 92 is coin. Some don't like this but most of the numeric scale is then in the mid range to help separate targets better that commonly get grouped together.

Non display means Tesoro. Until you get good with it you can do a lot of digging. Not for everybody. I like the light weight and simplicity.

Fisher F70- A real powerhouse of a detector. Can be chatty and most say it is EMI. I tend to think people are running them so hot on sensitivity they are hearing ground minerals and not EMI. Close to a F75 for a lot less money. This is Fisher's sleeper for sure.

Opinions from others will vary. These are my opinions. Good Luck on whatever you choose!

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across some great reviews of the F75...anyone have first-hand experience? I'm getting it narrowed down further and hope to make a decision this week. So many great detectors to choose from!

I have the AT Pro and the F75. The F75 is my primary go-to. The AT Pro is for getting wet (it's waterproof to 10 feet).

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have been using the F75 LTD SE since last fall. As I stated it is heavier than the F4 which was my primary machine. I do miss the F4. :crybaby2: I paid less than $300 for it. Now I have a machine that retails for $1,199 and I have yet to anything much deeper than the F4 could do. The only downside to the F4 was that in all metal mode the VDI did not work and I could not identify what I was detecting since it just grunted on everything. I must admit that I am a coinshooter, and ran the F4 in discrimination mode primarily. Always discriminated out iron and depending on where I was hunting, I often discriminated everything except dimes and up and then I would notch nickles back in. I am interested in hunting fields, that is the main reason I upgraded to the F75 series. It did detect a large hunk of iron at 13-14 inches which the F4 did not. I am still learning the new machine and have been trying different processes, mainly FA (fast action), BP (boost process), & PF (plowed fields). I did put it in cache mode and I can detect my van from about 5 feet away. (edited 4/22 tried it tonight since the upgrade)

Good luck, I am certain you will select a machine that suits your needs

many other posts have provided other good selections for your consideration. Please take time and get the machine with multiple coil choices. I love the double D coil. You can cover more ground with less overlapping of swings to maintain max depth detecting. Equates to covering more ground quicker without missing targets.

SO much terra firma, so little time!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting stuff! I was leaning toward the F-75 and now am thinking the F5 might suit me perfectly. The detectors I narrowed it down to were:

Garrett AT Pro (too much like Ace)
*Fisher F5
Fisher F75 (like F5 display better)
Teknetics Omega 8000 (dislike info display)
Minelab Xterra 705 (dislike screen and menu layout)
Minelab E-Trac (too heavy)
*White's MX5

The machines with asterisks are the ones I'm still thinking on. The MX5 looks like a very nice detector, but is quite heavy in comparison and I like the F5 tones and display layout a bit better. I'm not sure yet and may discover something entirely different, so any new input is still appreciated! :)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see you have been given several good options.... But let me throw this out there.

I'm of the opinion that generally speaking as you go up in price the main thing you gain is more and more refined and detailed info to help you decide if the target is worthy of digging (or not). Generically speaking, depth is generally the same from model to model, as long as the detector ground balances and the coil designs are similar (entry level machines are usually fixed ground balance, so they don't get the depth of mid-upper level detectors).

Specifically speaking, though, performance can vary a bit from model to model depending on:
-the specific condition of the soil in the target area,
-the specific targets desired,
-and the experience level of the operator.

This is why you will sometimes see "Brand X smoked Brand Y today" and somewhere else someone will post the exact opposite! There are exceptions to the rule where you would need a "specialty" detector (for example, a Minelab GPX for gold or a dedicated diving detector).

I see a lot of people suggesting the AT Pro.... Which is a GREAT machine for the money. But- I think it falls short compared to other machines on your list in terms of target ID

The Etrac will do what you want very well.... But it is heavy.

The F75 LTD is a deep, well balanced machine with a lot of capability for the money. It and it's sister machine the T2 I think are a bit more suited for the relic crowd but do work well as coin shooters too. Their baby sister the F70 is a cheaper option that performs similarly.

The X-Terra series is a great way to get Minelab performance at a cheaper initial price.... By picking the coils you can tailor the detector to suit the needs of your day's hunts. And they are light, but multiple coils can get a bit pricey

Hope this helps.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read some of the reviews for the Nokta Fors CoRe...

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whites v series are heavy machines.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I see you have been given several good options.... But let me throw this out there.

I'm of the opinion that generally speaking as you go up in price the main thing you gain is more and more refined and detailed info to help you decide if the target is worthy of digging (or not). Generically speaking, depth is generally the same from model to model, as long as the detector ground balances and the coil designs are similar (entry level machines are usually fixed ground balance, so they don't get the depth of mid-upper level detectors).

Specifically speaking, though, performance can vary a bit from model to model depending on:
-the specific condition of the soil in the target area,
-the specific targets desired,
-and the experience level of the operator.

This is why you will sometimes see "Brand X smoked Brand Y today" and somewhere else someone will post the exact opposite! There are exceptions to the rule where you would need a "specialty" detector (for example, a Minelab GPX for gold or a dedicated diving detector).

I see a lot of people suggesting the AT Pro.... Which is a GREAT machine for the money. But- I think it falls short compared to other machines on your list in terms of target ID

The Etrac will do what you want very well.... But it is heavy.

The F75 LTD is a deep, well balanced machine with a lot of capability for the money. It and it's sister machine the T2 I think are a bit more suited for the relic crowd but do work well as coin shooters too. Their baby sister the F70 is a cheaper option that performs similarly.

The X-Terra series is a great way to get Minelab performance at a cheaper initial price.... By picking the coils you can tailor the detector to suit the needs of your day's hunts. And they are light, but multiple coils can get a bit pricey

Hope this helps.

Excellent description of what to expect from the various detectors!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting stuff! I was leaning toward the F-75 and now am thinking the F5 might suit me perfectly. The detectors I narrowed it down to were:

Garrett AT Pro (too much like Ace)
*Fisher F5
Fisher F75 (like F5 display better)
Teknetics Omega 8000 (dislike info display)
Minelab Xterra 705 (dislike screen and menu layout)
Minelab E-Trac (too heavy)
*White's MX5

The machines with asterisks are the ones I'm still thinking on. The MX5 looks like a very nice detector, but is quite heavy in comparison and I like the F5 tones and display layout a bit better. I'm not sure yet and may discover something entirely different, so any new input is still appreciated! :)

You're doing good homework, Staci.

The suggestion of the XTerra line is nice, but keep in mind that the coils are costly.

Yes, the MXT is heavier, though a good unit.

The F5 was my go to for over 6 years. It's only drawback is that it is analog like the Tesoro's, digital like the F75, and analogs have to be set up each time due to no memory. If that's OK for you, the F5 is a fantastic detector. It has different tone options, has a confidence meter to help ID, controls the ground with constant readout of changes that can be quickly adjusted with a thumbed knob change, separate gain and threshold control to detect everything from small gold to large relics, great display of everything to make an ID, great coil options from after market manufacturers, fast recovery rate, PP depth readout and a great AM mode.

The F5 will keep up with any detector out there. Plus Mike Hillis has an F5 bible with plenty of hints and tips that is free to download, making the F5 experience a profitable one.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided to go with the F5 and a small coil, time to hunt one down :) Thank you to everyone, you were all a great help!!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab X-terra 505 or 705 will do the job for you. New they are between $500 - 750. Used about $200 less. Excellent all purpose machine and very light weight. Check them out. Don't forget to look into used machines if your budget won't allow more than $500. Minelabs' warranties are on the machine not the buyer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread