$1000-1500 to spend on new detector

SpecialFarces

May 7, 2007
Upstate New York - USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I have been looking at units online and need some help. I want to hunt for artifacts, coins, etc. Money is not really an issue; all I want is solid, best technology, quality unit, ease of use - sophistication doesn’t deter me as long as it works. Any recommendations? The choices seem to be mind-boggling, however, I seem to get the feeling that Minelab, Fisher, are better units? Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many have suggested excellent machines. You can't go wrong with the Sov. Jeff recommends either.
Get to a dealer and try them out, or find a
club in your area and you can try out other
member machines. from Sherm

There is no one detector that does it all well so I think you need a few different kinds. I prefer the Tesoro's and Minelabs myself, but this doesn't mean the others suck. They just do things different and you need to learn what it is telling you.

Good Luck,
Sandman

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
You made an excellent choice buying the Explorer, the best way to learn the machine is use it in the factory preset settings until you have become familiar with the machine.Then take your time and gradually go into the advanced operation of the machine.Too many people try to go too quickly into the more advanced operation of the machine and finish up confusing themselves. Getting to know the tones and learning what the screen is telling you is a big part of learning your machine, take your time and in the long run you will be better off.seeya Neilo ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Explorer owners are born not made. You will either love your detector and keep it forever, or they will get rid of it in less than 3 months. I believe that TH'ers should own 2 or 3 detectors to cover a wide range of situations and the Explorer should be one of those.

Ed D.

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.metaldetection.net/english/Club-Latincom.htm

SpecialFarces,
I have been MD'ing here in AZ for going on ten years am a member of several prospecting clubs and have seen many types of detectors being used. My dream machine costs a bit more than most but when I read your post about "Money is not really an issue." I thought you might like to check it out using the URL above.
I am not un-American but personally, with unlimited finances, I would buy from the world economy based on superiority of product alone.
-dustcap

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well they can elininate 100% of the trash within the top 20" of soil with a Pulse-Induction unit. In so doing they are years ahead of the US, Texas & Japan. ;) :D

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I just read more of that link. They talk about scams ; what about the scam they are trying to perpetrate. Most of what they are saying is (I'll be nice) "inaccurate" and most of their comparisons are reffering to old detectors from 20 plus years ago. They even state that you should look at the picture to see what they are talking about in other detectors. The statement that VLF's get 40 to 80 hours use time ought to tell you something. I sure wish I could get 80 hours use time on any detector I use.
Beware of these guys. >:(

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If money is not an issue I'd love this one: http://www.deepscan.de/produkt_deepscan_ssp3000gp.htm IT'S IN GERMAN
;D
I've heard much bad of minelab lately, the Se screens split, the excal. knobs "fall off".

And on TV some experts tested it:

The Exp. was tested in Australia (severe ground mineralisation) the comment it got was "Piece of cr@p..." and he threw it away.
I'd say Minelabs reputation has fallen greatly, at least of what I understand.
He also said that it could hardly resist mist, and had some other minor problems.
This is what I've been told I did not see it my self, my father saw it.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The SE was a new model and like anything new it did have bugs but they have been taken care of. I don't have a SE but I have 2 EX2's and 2 Excaliburs and they work perfectly. Also Minelab customer service is second to none so if there is a problem they will fix it and the turn around is quick. They also pick up the phone and answer any questions you might have as to it's operation. If I was going to up grade I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Minelab

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the SE. As long as you take the time to learn the programing side of it, you should have great success with it. The SE has been out for at least 6 years now and the first year they had some minor issues which were addressed quite quickly.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread