Information wanted on found Irish Coins in Colonial America

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A numismatic colleague and I are making a census of any Irish coppers that might have been recovered from old settlement sites. We are seeking data on Wood's Hibernia farthings and halfpence, St. Patrick farthings and halfpence, Voce Populi coppers, and Irish gunmoney. This is part of a project to determine the circulation pattern of early Irish money in colonial America. All we need is the general area (county or state) and a .jpg if possible. Thanks so much for your contribution to this data bank.

Please either respond to me by PM or email me at [email protected] if you have any photos of the coins.

Thanks , don't forget I am also doing a circulation survey on NJ Colonials and the same information is wanted, state, county found in and if you have a photo of both sides, that would be great.

Don in SJ

Upvote 0

SebDank

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im gonna email you a few pics of a voce populi I dug in Beaufort, SC

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don got a question for you.
Weren't a lot of Irish coins found on coin beach over the years?
If so and they were passed around without the recipient knowing where they came from, would that disrupt your data?

I do not know what coins were found there over the years, but seems to me reading something round early 80- mid 80's bout Irish coins showing up mixed in with the usual lot on coin beach.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple from there. Last one from a few weeks ago. Pic is on my latest started thread. I haven't found any but from there. Rest of the British coppers were standard George II and III's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread