Whats the deal with digging up threads 10+ years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the deal with digging up threads 10+ years old...

I come to the site to check out the LATEST threads, and contribute and I'm finding a slough of the that are from 2003, and 2004. Not funny. In fact, it's kind of annoying. I'm now having to filter through the filtered "new threads responses."

I get that a find in the dirt is a good save... in the forum, it's like detecting a modern cemetery... some things shouldn't be done. LOL I think we should stick with digging up stuff buried in the dirt, not the forums...

If I'm wrong, and this is considered offensive, feel free to ban me for a few days, I'll probably not visit anyway, because I'd rather read new threads... If I get a hankerin' to search old stuff... I've got Google for that.

Skippy

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Skippy...are the threads older than you are?

If you searched a subject, the older threads may be the only ones in the archives.

If so, simply don't open them...that solves the issue.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come to the site to check out the LATEST threads, and contribute and I'm finding a slough of the that are from 2003, and 2004. Not funny. In fact, it's kind of annoying. I'm now having to filter through the filtered "new threads responses."

I get that a find in the dirt is a good save... in the forum, it's like detecting a modern cemetery... some things shouldn't be done. LOL I think we should stick with digging up stuff buried in the dirt, not the forums...

If I'm wrong, and this is considered offensive, feel free to ban me for a few days, I'll probably not visit anyway, because I'd rather read new threads... If I get a hankerin' to search old stuff... I've got Google for that.

Skippy

It violates no rules, we get 800+ new members a month, many are new to the hobby so the threads are new to them...

If your accessing via PC, use "active topics", it lists when original topic was started on left, and time on last reply on right.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I happen to find it amusing whenever an ancient thread gets bumped. It reflects what our members are interested in, despite when something was found. I wonder sometimes...why were they reading that?!?

In fact, on occasion, I have bumped old threads, because they might be insightful, funny, or relevant to another find, that us newer members might not otherwise have known about.

After I post this, I will look into 2006 "Best Finds", and bump a post, so that others may enjoy.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Skippy

Really ???.... learn how to use the filters and you will see the newest posts... pretty simple... This is the best treasure site by far...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And i like others still find some good information in old threads ... I do not see why it bothers you ... There is a lot of good info. in the old as well as the new threads

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The threads all have dates on their heading. If it's older than you want to see, just don't open it. I guess I just don't see the problem......:dontknow:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it, an old thread is still valuable. Maybe the original poster and some of the people who responded are long gone, but there is a chance someone who is active has had the same question or thought, and the old thread being resurfaced may in fact help guide them.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sure don't see any problem with the old threads, in fact, I spend a lot of time going through them. I have covered all the pages in 'Beach and shallow water' and am up to page 217 in 'Metal detecting'. They are a mine of information, and if more people checked them, it would save asking a lot of questions that have been answered many times before.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old treads be like readin history books ya'll ya may learnt sum new stuff from old farts and dust in the wind,,,beside is is neat to see what others have found long before in areas where no one may swing a dirt rod again ,,, and makes fer good reading in winter time.. blah blah ent my 3 cents happy huntinn ya'll's

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... it's kind of annoying.....

Skippy, "kind of" annoying ? It's VERY annoying, haha. No doubt newbies are doing key word searches on something that interests them. And end up reading some super old thread that came up in their key word search. And then go to reply, bringing it back to the top.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if we can get timemachine to go forward in time, we'd really have something here! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line posting in old threads violates no rules, but harassment of members for posting in old threads does violate our rules.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've commented on old threads before I noticed the date.
The old threads are valuable, also a lot of the same questions get asked and having a thread to go to on the subject is good.

I wish I had the time to go back thru and read the past threads...somewhere in there are answers and info that are extremely helpful.

Maybe a directory would be a great addition here.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this too,,,, reading old threads to glean out some information and just went on to reply or "like" it.
Then is becomes one of those "doh" moments when you see the date on the post you responded to.

If its a relevant thread or somewhat interesting I see no harm. But I have seen a few mostly about Yamashita or Philippines stuff "revived".
Those kinda get to me,,, not sure why though,,,but they do

Anyway,,, just my thoughts
Hit

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom line posting in old threads violates no rules, but harassment of members for posting in old threads does violate our rules.

WOW. Treasure Hunter, the implied "You're harassing someone" simply because I was sharing my experience with how the forum displays bumped posts isn't particularly fair, though I half wondered (note how I asked if you were going to ban me for a few days?)

I didn't realize I was harassing members by suggesting that a bunch of dug up threads from over a decade ago bumped to the top of the list annoyed me. I neither called any member out, nor specified any threads. If having an opinion about that constituted harassment, then we have very different definitions! Please offer clarification if that was a general, "Please folks, remember not to harass," or if you really thought my post was harassing.

Personally, I think your helpful post you initially responded with was more in line with what I expected. I liked that one!

I posted what I did, because I found it annoying, and bothersome, and it was actually driving me away from the site. (Wouldn't the site owners want to find a way to keep people around?) It clearly bugs a few other people as well. And for the folks who offered helpful advice. THANK YOU.

I'm clearly not alone, too, Treasure Hunter. Some folks DO find it annoying (for a variety of reasons). For example:

MSBeep's experience was exactly mine! Responding to a thread that appears new, only to find out you've spent several minutes typing a "helpful" reply to someone who posted 11 years ago before noticing the date happens. Delete post... Wasted time... And when it happens 2-3 times in a row, and you note that someone dug up old threads, it actually IS annoying to the reader!

And by the way, after several HOURS of searching, I discovered you can sort the threads last to first, which would VERY much help identify when someone posts a "bump" for a reason, rather than simply listing the first input making it seem like someone just posted a valid question.

And to the rest of the T-Net Administrators, maybe a flag of some sort that shows when something is older than a a few years would be helpful. Yeah, I see the dates now... but until I had that "annoying" experience, I hadn't noticed the date was there.

-Skippy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really ???.... learn how to use the filters and you will see the newest posts... pretty simple... This is the best treasure site by far...

Thanks, I've done just that. There's actually quite a bit of functionality available in the view settings. As for "best treasure site" I have to say, I actually went out and looked around. The #1 thing that I love about this site is the functionality. It draws people in. The ability to directly upload photos, for example is HUGE. No need to upload to photobucket and then link, for example. T-Net's site functionality is great. Just has a learning curve.

Skippy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread