CyrusKain

Greenie
May 19, 2015
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day! I've taken the time to review a lot of posts on these forums, and I look forward to seeing familiar faces from now on as I venture into detecting.

First: I'm a newcomer, so if I'm asking a question that's already been addressed, I apologize; I did try to search and look before I posted.

Second: I'm a beginner, but I want a machine I can "grow into" as my experience grows. I can detect 2-3 days a week for a couple hours each day. Hobby :)

From articles, reviews, and these forums, I've come across a plethora of seemingly great detectors, but I think I've narrowed it down to two:

Garret AT PRO
or
Minelabs X-Terra 705

I live in northern Virginia (high mineralization) and won't be on the beaches of Eastern Virginia (I'm not in the mountains, but probably will go to mountains). I don't plan on diving into lakes and streams (although I wouldn't rule out sticking my coil down under water), and I'm mainly going to be searching for coins, civil war relics, and perhaps jewelry (naturally occurring gold isn't found in this area; any gold would be lost jewelry, which I wouldn't mind in the least)!

Could you seasoned pros help me in my decision on which device to purchase? Budget isn't an issue (I know the AT PRO is cheaper, but I'm comfortable paying more for the X-Terra if it's better for my use/environment).

I appreciate the help!

V/r,

Michael

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinandRelicMan: I'm in the northern virginia area. High Mineralization. I'm fairly stationary around here and won't be going over 5-6 hours away from home (unless I'm vacationing). High mineralization all around me for the most part. I'm going to be searching near battlegrounds, old farmhouses/colonies (I'm right down the road from Mt. Vernon, Washington's home, for example [although it's illegal to detect there]), etc... I saw one guy pull a $500 coin from a nearby battlefield about a year ago. Places like that.

I'm mainly coin-shooting, as I'm an avid coin collector and part-time dealer and want a hobby. I'd also like to pick up civil war artifacts as a secondary; third, I won't turn down any jewelry I find. In that order.
The choices you mentioned are fine. If you can spend the extra, I'd do it. Get the E-trac over the 705, for example. The Fisher F75 LTD is a very nice relic machine too. The AT Pro is a good machine but not excellent in any particular area. It's main benefit is being waterproof. If that's not high on your priority list, there are better machines for your type of hunting. I had a similar choice to make between the V3i and the E-trac. After much research and user feedback, I chose the E-trac and am very happy with that choice. A very versatile machine if you need it to be, or very simple if you just want to turn on and go. Regardless of which you choose, it will take at least a 100 hours to be in tune with what the machine is telling you.

OP
OP
C

CyrusKain

Greenie
May 19, 2015
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys!

Wow, what a response from the community. I appreciate all the good thoughts and comments; I'm an intent listener and learner (my wife would argue that point :P), and I took everything into consideration when I made my decision: these forums, live chat via kellyco, Bart from Big Boy Hobbies, user manuls, reviews, blogs, etc... Yes, I bought a device (from Bart @ BBH who had a great package and was exceptionally informative and honest).

I bought a Minelab E-trac.

I started this post asking about the X-Terra 705 and ATP but opted for a higher-end model. My reasoning: While the learning curve may be steep, I realize that. I know I'm not going to jump out day 1 and start hauling in the goods. I know it will take hundreds of hours to truly understand and "become one" (as someone put it in another post) with this detector. I'm fine with that. What it brings for me is not only a very, very solid device, but the room to grow exponentially. I feel that, once I become seasoned, this machine can take me where I will want to end up without having to purchase 2-3 other detectors. The CTX3030, recommended by Carolina Tom, is a bit too high cost for me as a beginner. The mineralization of the soil in my area is high and can be downright awful in certain places. The multi-freq. of the E-trac will certainly help there.

Through my rigorous studying, I have seen what most people on here have already stated concerning these popular detectors: you can't really go wrong with any of them (and some of the trouble certain people have with one machine could be nothing more than a lack of understanding of how to properly use the device). My next step is to keep up with these forums. Listen to you all, learn from you all, and hopefully one day become a productive member of the community. I appreciate the advice and help and look forward to socializing!

V/r,

Michael

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great choice! I'm in NW Oregon and our mineralization is pretty high. I started out with an AT Pro as my 1st detector, was easy to learn, but for the life of me after hunting 8 months almost every day, I couldn't find a silver coin and I worked hard at it. Others in my area were having same issues, while guys with Etrac were hauling in the silver coins. I switched/upgraded to a ctx and the silver started coming and regularly! Guys with Etrac still put hunt me for silver coins, but I've got at least 500 hours on my ctx now but still learning. You'll be happy with your choice I'm sure, good luck to you!!! I wish I was hunting in Virginia!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Etrac is one of the best detectors made. Stay with it. And Bart knows his stuff, so right off the bat you have a great "go to" when and if you become puzzled. Good luck.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I am very partial to the Garrett platform, as a matter of fact I've never used another.

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
I JUST had this same dilemma when I upgraded from my Ace 250. I narrowed it down to the ATP and the 705. I had used the ATP a bit, and really like it. However, I felt that the flexibility of the 705, and the stability of the machine made it a more solid choice. I recently got my 705, and I have to say, I couldn't be more happy. I would never use the waterproof aspect of the ATP, so that wasn't a factor.

You can't discount, however, that if you have used a garret in the past then the ATP will be easy to pick up and go with. I simply think that the 705 is a beast of a machine for the money. I am not planning on upgrading anytime soon, at least until I can afford a CTX.......

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the AT-Pro
any questions call me , it"s just an all around good machine
dennis