Has Anyone Ever Waterproofed Their detector??

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Bounty Hunter machine (202) I want to waterproof to try some underwater hunting this year.
I have a couple of old swimming holes I have good feelings about. Plus, I've never done any real underwater hunting and I'm dying to give it a try now that summer is finally upon us.

I've seen a few YouTube videos and have a few ideas incubating but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this successfully and if so, I would love to hear about it.

I found one old thread here by a guy who said he filled all of the holes with marine epoxy and it worked great. The thing is, I tried to PM him and found out he's been banned from the site. So I'm not convinced his method is for real. Although technically, it should work (at least for a while) the description isn't too detailed. I'm not going to risk my machine without knowing full well that it will NOT leak.

Although I'm not in love with this particular detector I still don't wanna' fry it. It's still fine for a spare and/or kid machine and it has found me a few really nice treasures.

So the end goal is to make it fully submersible and able to safely use headphones. If anyone had successfully done a job like this I would truly love to hear all about it.

Thanks in advance and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is to get a dedicated water detector and save your detector for dry land. I had a Tesoro Lobo and removed the box and put the box in a floating cooler and towed it behind or wherever the wind blew it as I hunted. Pain in the ##s. I bought a Tiger Shark and love it.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Go buy a water machine...

Save yourself a lot of trouble and aggravation.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could get really dicey, and you'd have to do a "perfect" job, no mistakes, and if the worst happens you've lost a detector.
The only thing I have heard of being waterproofed was a pin pointer, and that involved 2 zip lock bags, used in about a foot of water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread