Trust your gut instinct!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So today I was at a local park metal detecting, dug many dimes and some pennies. I came up to a signal and it was hitting very hard on the swing right, but nothing on the left swing. I switched to AM and place the coil over the spot, nothing. Back to Mode 3, swinging again and it was hitting hard, giving me 6 inches, jumping between dime/quarter. So i dug it and BAM! i was stoked to see my first silver coin metal detecting, a 1941 Merc.
IMG_5296.JPG IMG_5297.JPG

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver. :thumbsup: You'll always remember right where you dug it.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! I found my first silver recently, a sterling silver ring, and know the feeling. I seem to recall it made a short, clipped tone, not a real strong one. In the past I might have bypassed such a signal, but not anymore :icon_thumright:

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice dime! Its hard to beat, finding a good target. Especially when the signal is something different. .. i wonder if it may have been on edge.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercs are so pretty. Congrats on your first silver.

Last edited:

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill never forget the feeling when you realize you have finally found a silver coin!!! Many more to come now! :thumbsup:

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did you figure out how come it only registered one way ?

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you figure out how come it only registered one way ?

Im not sure, but I am leaning towards the max depth of my Time Ranger. When I dug the spot, I used my Cold Steel SF shovel. Stuck the shovel in 3 sides and pried a little to loosen the plug. I pried the plug up, pushed it over. then took out my PP, and checked the hole. It was beeping so i moved the dirt around just a little. Then I saw the silver rim of a dime, pulled it out and saw it was a Mercury dime. I do think if the dime was half a inch deeper, the Time ranger would never pick it up...

Another note.. I went back to the same park but a different area, pulled out a 52 Rosie. This Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Im going to call it Dime Ranger, Because it sniffs out Dimes like Crazyyyyy....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread