desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a bit puzzled why people seem to rub their coins and artifacts they just dig out of the soil. I know they really want to see what they have, but rubbing has a tendency to cause damage. I know that being in the soil is already damaging, but why add to the problem?

Does anyone just dig things up, and once done, plop them in a container of water to dissolve the muck? I would think that would be in everyone's arsenal they carry aboard their vehicle. Water, and a light brushing with very soft bristles would do the work.

Now, I am not sure just what water would do to a copper coin. I have experience with US Large Cents and getting them exposed to a humid environment. They get green spots quite often (corrosion). Not sure exposing the these coins right out of the ground would be damaging. I guess a drying with a soft cloth right after the bath would help prevent possible corrosion, and then putting them into some kind of airtight container.

Just my musing over seeing so many videos with people scraping their coins to death.

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Florida my coins usually come out of the ground pitted and corroded. Rubbing is not going to do any more damage than what has already been done... Of course if I pulled out a silver dollar I might be a bit more careful to avoid scratching it.

Attachments

• corrosion.jpg
    corrosion.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 164

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're careful, it shouldn't hurt the value of a corroded copper/brass coin, unless you really get carried away. Silver and gold should never be rubbed. Clad.......who cares.......

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember my short period of metal detecting in Louisiana. The coins tended to look a bit worse for wear because of the soil, though those silver and gold items seems to make it without much tarnish. I wonder if the salt and the manmade chemicals are one reason for the copper deterioration. I know that the few videos I have watched where people are detecting in farmers fields, the copper is really bad, even some that are only 20 or so years in the ground.

I haven't started back into detecting yet. Still waiting on my transportation to be repaired. I am hoping that I may get lucky around where I live. I thought of the bus stops where people wait around for their ride. Most of the bus stops are just a place where you stand on the sand/dirt, though a few people have pitched old chairs for waiting. Might be a few things lying under that soil.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I ever find a gold coin, I promise I wont rub it.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are right, however most have no intention of ever selling their finds..., plus, they want to know what they have.
Most copper coins weather the storm better than you think, but silver or gold items, I'd have the tendency to be very gentle,
since I find so little of those metals....!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see it this way. Most of the time, those coins aren't going to be slabbed. In fact, most of the time, those coins are going to end up in that person's PERSONAL collection. Which means, if they want to scratch them, hold them, gargle them in their mouth or whatever... it's still their coin!

I also see that "most" of the time folks aren't expecting the coin to be a rare coin..> They're just looking for the date or trying to figure out what it is. I rub coins all the time. Why? I've NEVER found a single silver coin, or coin of value. After having rubbed 1000+ coins clean of the dirt to figure out what it is, if I'm wearing a go-pro for my own enjoyment, the likelihood that I'm then going to magically start using water is unlikely. In fact, I'll probably rub it, thinking "just another copper" then get completely excited, then bum myself out that I rubbed it, then go back to being excited... AFTER the fact. And then that 1877 penny, 1914-d, penny, or 1955 Double Die penny is going to go into MY collection. In the end, I'll get just as much enjoyment out of a penny that has scratch marks, than if the penny didn't have scratch marks. Functionally, it only has less "value" to someone who cares about the scratches.

As a prime example, I LOVE holed coins. Why? Not because of the hole, but because I get all the fantastic "Extra Fine" details of a nearly new coin, at a bare fraction of the price of one without a silly little hole. I don't care if it has a scratch on it, or a hole in it, I'm there to enjoy the beauty of the details, and the history I hold in my hand. I'm not in it for the investment, or the sales. If I can get a coin without a hole, great! But some of the coins are so far out of my price range, the only way I can enjoy that history is finding one that others think is "wrong." Wrong for them is right for me! LOL

That's the way I see it. Crud... my first Walking Liberty half, I ever bought, I promptly went home and scrubbed it with baking soda, just to see what it would have looked like "new." I KNEW it was destroying the re-sale value... but I found MORE value in the learning process than the $1 I lost in coin value. I love that coin... look at it frequently, and have enjoyed it thoroughly... even though it's worth bullion at this point, probably. In fact, of the 4 Walkers that I have, its still my favorite. The others may be more "natural" or "detailed" and definitely have been cared for from a history standpoint...but that cleaned coin is still my favorite. I can't explain it, other than to say this:
The reason I love the coins is not because of their value to someone else, but rather because of my enjoyment of the coin.

Some folks may look at it differently. In fact, I know collectors who pride themselves in having the priciest coin on the block (or most expensive equipment, or nicest car...etc.). That's where they get their enjoyment. In fact, I may love the 1877 crusty dirt-rubbed-scratched coin MORE than a "better grade" I'd bought at auction. It may be the experience that makes it enjoyable... who knows. :)

In economic terms, this is called "maximizing your utility." Some folks maximize the value of the experience by checking RIGHT THEN, the date... others maximize the experience by the anticipation of the find later in the water. To each their own... heck... we all enjoy our hobby slightly differently (different equipment, locations, styles of searching, with a buddy, without a buddy, in a club, alone... etc.)

It bothers me a bit (not a lot... just a bit. :laughing7:) when people wonder/believe/accuse that someone may be enjoying their hobby "wrong" because it's not the same way they enjoy it.

If someone buys a classic car with the purpose of putting it in a garage to look at it, and to enjoy "owning it," does that make it not ok for someone else to buy a classic to drive it? In the same way... rubbing a coin is driving the car (putting wear and tear on it). Just like driving a classic car lowers the value through wear and tear, some owners are in it for the experience of "handling" the car. Coins are like that. Digging is like that. Some of us are into the hobby for the experience, not the resale value. :)

I love how we all enjoy our hobbies differently. It's what makes talking with others so much fun. :) When I see someone rub their coin, it doesn't bother me... it's their coin! If they get wet-pants excited over rubbing the dirt off to see the date, then go ballistic in enjoyment... I say we should all let them enjoy it! It's highly unlikely we'll ever buy it anyway... and if we do, we'll get it cheaper. LOL

Skippy

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! I was just wondering. I know many just want to know that date immediately. I guess I am more patient.

I am from a coin collecting background. I used to collect US Large Cents 1848-1857. At the time I had one of the top 10 best collections in that date area, of the coins I could afford. I guess I am still a collector, and even if the coin is hurting, I just want to keep it in as good a condition as possible. Now that I'm not raking in the big bucks, I can't afford such luxuries as paying $1000 for a premium coin.

But I am just like everyone else when it comes to MDing. I get all excited whenever I do find something interesting. And I really do want to know what the dates is, but my old habits take over, and I just wait until I can properly care for the coin or object.

Again, I was not putting anyone down on how they do things. That is up to the individual. The important thing in any hobby is to have fun. Wishing everyone lots of luck and a bunch of fun. Caley

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is their coin and they can do what ever. But I am sure glad I did not rub a quarter Found last month. In AU condition and worth $55. The way these silver scratch it would have instantly downgraded that coin.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought coins were supposed to be rubbed for luck and then three wishes? Or maybe that was a lamp artifact...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I was just wondering.

Again, I was not putting anyone down on how they do things. That is up to the individual. The important thing in any hobby is to have fun. Wishing everyone lots of luck and a bunch of fun. Caley

Oh, I don't think any of us took it that way. Including me. My apologies if it came out as such. I've seen/heard plenty of people actually put others down... Your post was NOT that post. :) But it was a fun conversation. One of my favorites, in fact, because I think generally, the same "we all appreciate things differently" approach applies to a lot in life.

VERY cool that you had a top 10 coin collection like that. That's amazing! I would have loved to have seen it. If you have pictures/album or something, that would be fantastic to post!

SKippy

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to dig with a guy who always rubbed his coins right out of the ground until the date would show, and I saw him micro scratch some really nice condition older silver Seated and Barber coins. I put older dug coins in an old leather ammo pouch with paper towels wadded up inside that I have on my belt and then carefully clean them when I get home. I guess to each his own, but my intention is to sell and not collect, so I want the best value I can get from older material, and scratches reduce value. I always rub my clad clean after I dig it, makes clean up later easier as the dirt tends to harden into a tough crust otherwise, and it's all on the fast track to be spent as soon as possible, just doing my patriotic part to put those clads back into circulation and take some pressure off the Mint. Cheers!!

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skippy, Wish I had taken pictures. I never thought I would end up selling the collection. I ended up with physical problems, and I needed the cash to pay to fix those problems. Right after that I ended up being laid off because of those physical difficulties, and I never recovered economically. Still trying to dig myself out of that financial hole, though not with metal detecting. I never expect to find much of anything with a detector. I just want a pastime I can enjoy. Caley

Mudwiggle

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't need to rub my only Sov - it just sat there in the hole all shiney-bright!
I DID rub my eyes to make sure I was really looking at it though...

Otherwise, I usually give a light wipe for rough ID if needed, but leave the details tucked under the muck until I get home.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy, Wish I had taken pictures. I never thought I would end up selling the collection. I ended up with physical problems, and I needed the cash to pay to fix those problems. Right after that I ended up being laid off because of those physical difficulties, and I never recovered economically. Still trying to dig myself out of that financial hole, though not with metal detecting. I never expect to find much of anything with a detector. I just want a pastime I can enjoy. Caley
Sorry to hear... About everything. On the flip side material possessions are only borrowed in this life while we are around anyway! Glad to hear you got to enjoy them while you could.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a coin collector before I started MDing, and for that matter still am. So, I know better than to rub coins. However, EVERY time I dig something up, I get as excited as a kid opening a Nintendo 64 on Christmas morning and start rub rub rub-a-dubbing....

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a coin collector before I started MDing, and for that matter still am. So, I know better than to rub coins. However, EVERY time I dig something up, I get as excited as a kid opening a Nintendo 64 on Christmas morning and start rub rub rub-a-dubbing....

Isn't that the truth! I know I shouldn't rub rings, either, but figure I can polish out any scratches with those. :)

-Skippy

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We try not to rub unless its a common date. A few years back, I found an AU 1862-S seated dime (great soil as well) along the Applegate/Lassen trail. Before I could get it out of the hole, my buddies kid picked it up and "rubbed" it!!!!!!! Little ******* almost had a shovel across his head!!! Needles to say, every time I look at it, I see the scratches........:censored:

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
basque-man, Really sorry to hear about that incident. You still have a nice coin, but it is now an EF grade, more than likely. Unfortunately kids get excited, and often forget the ground rules given them for an activity. In this case, not to pick anything up until the person working the hole hands it over for inspection.

I really wish I lived near an area where there were people living there in the early 1800's or earlier. I just can't imagine finding something that old. Of course, when I was living in northeastern Italy, I did find a Venice area City State coin. I gave it away, and wish I had never done so. Supposedly it was around a year 1600 or so coin, and in very nice condition. I found it on a hill side above one of the current farms out buildings. I also found a thimble in the same area, and have always wondered just how old it is. I just looked for it, and I guess I gave that away also. Sigh! Caley

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry guys but seriously, how bad can a slight rub be to a coin that has been in the ground for 100 years or more? Micro scratches? Really?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread