Need advice

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an aqaintance approach me and as if I could try to locate a lost wedding band that was lost 1 year ago. It's in a grassy area that a fast food restaurant is located. It is a very large lot with only the restaurant on it and it has a grassy area all the way around it. The ring was lost approximately 50 yards front door but only approximately 15 yards from the closet part of the building. Should I ask the manager of the chain restaurant if they would mind if I looked around? Would u say no and research to owner of the land? Or would you just be respectful and low key and just look?

Upvote 0

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would find out from the manager who owns the property. And ask the manager if he minds if you look for a lost ring from a patron of his store.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would find out from the manager who owns the property. And ask the manager if he minds if you look for a lost ring from a patron of his store.

I agree. Tell him you will do it after hrs and be respectful of the property. Under the circumstance he would be a b-hole not to let you. IMO

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this chain restaurant is open til 2 am so after hours won't happen but I will make contact with the manager. I had planned on running discrimination near all the way up since it's a silver wedding band and not really dig anything other then what looked promising. I figured most wouldn't care as long as I wasn't digging giant holes. More of just a scan.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just ask the onsite manager. If he seems reluctant to let you, thinking about the "holes" you might dig, reassure him that you will leave it as good as (or better than) you found it. I'd then just scan the area first, then rank and mark likely targets with flags. I'd than come back to them and plug only the most likely ones based on their ranking. If it's only been lost a year, it's unlikely you'll need to do much more than a small slit in the turf to remove the ring. If you have a good pin pointer, that should help zero right in on the target so you don't accidentally damage it. Offer to give him a demonstration of your technique and then find a nice very shallow coin sound to use as the test recovery.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manager looks like a 17 hear old. He could care less and didn't know the property owners name. I did exactly what u said. Except for flagging. I forgot them in my big bag. Only dug 6 spots 3 pennies, 1 quarter, to hunks of crap. I will go back in a few days

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you won't need to "dig" that recent loss. Leave your digging tool in the car, have your pocket knife handy, pull up a 6-7am and just start searching. If you get stopped just explain what you are doing, simply "scanning" the grass for the ring, not digging

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pulled pennies that have been lost in my yard say 2-3 years ago that were less then an inch in the soils on Maryland. Would you say a ring sinks faster since it's hollow or coin because it's heavier?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If your friend lost a ring there, then that tells me right off the bat that the mere act of standing/walking there, is not prohibited. Right ? I mean, how else could he have lost the ring there, if he wasn't there in the first place? Hence nothing from stopping the public from the mere act of standing there? Then if that's the case, I'd just do it. If someone asks, you're looking for a friend's ring that was lost there. But that's just me. I do not see the activity of md'ing as anything that needs permission for such a spot as that (where public is not disallowed from being), anymore so than the activity of eating my fastfood there, or whistling dixie there, etc....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have pulled pennies that have been lost in my yard say 2-3 years ago that were less then an inch in the soils on Maryland. Would you say a ring sinks faster since it's hollow or coin because it's heavier?

This is my point - lost one year ago, it is sure to be a near-surface (1.5" or less) target. As you move your coil higher above the target as you test the signal, a ring signal will eventually fade out as you raise the coil. Silver coins will do the same, but clad coins and most garbage signals tend to break up or just disappear as you raise the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread