Can someone help me figure out if this park is a waste of time?

zeusophobia

Greenie
Jun 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went there with my metal detector and it kept popping up for coins in certain spots. I would dig them and find nothing.

Here's the tricky part, I was digging with a multi tool and could only get about 2 1/2 inches down. I bought a spade today, and I was wondering if I should go back there and get to the bottom of this.

So far everything that's beeped I've been able to find within 2 inches. These "coins"(?) are either really deep or it's a false signal.

Upvote 0

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter what we say, you MUST go back and find out...

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be very careful....it could be a water line, gas line or electrical conduit.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do not take the spade to the park because alot of parks are getting banned because alot of people are taking shovels and spades

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you verify your targets before digging? Example swing east to west over the target and get a repeatable tone, then swing over the target from north to south and listen for a repeatable tone? I like to run my detectors hot sometimes and they do false more especially if it's not ground balanced properly. You will usually see a rut in the ground where the detector falses.

OP
OP
Z

zeusophobia

Greenie
Jun 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 10 year old kid asked what I was doing, then took control of the shovel and dug like a mad man until we found it..... A metal pipe....ugh

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods if your seen with a shovel in a park, you would get a ticket, court date and fines to reseed the damage. They'll claim you were digging up shrubs too. $$$$$$

OP
OP
Z

zeusophobia

Greenie
Jun 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods if your seen with a shovel in a park, you would get a ticket, court date and fines to reseed the damage. They'll claim you were digging up shrubs too. $$$$$$

Well dang. I think I'll stick to the beach then. Florida cops aren't exactly the most understanding bunch either.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 different tools for digging

a Lesche for manicured / well maintained lawns

a small shovel (2 ft tall) for rough cut areas and woods

a modified spade for field hunting.

Always make sure you are careful when digging and fill in the holes. Best to cut a plug, and never dig like a madman. Nosy neighbors see that and you'll more than likely have the cops called on you.

A majority of us try to stay off the radar. Using the right tool for the job and detecting at sites when there is little to no activity will keep you in good standings.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi zeusophobia; Thing to remember here is that first of all "NEVER" use a shovel or spade in a park PLEASE ok. Now about the park. If you are in a park where you can only dig 2" then LEAVE that park. It most likely a type of park that was used as a court instead of a park like a tennis court. It has a cement under lay with dirt and grass thrown on top. Second is that ANY "old" park is going to have signals a lot deeper than 2". More like up to 10" ok. But bag the shovels and spades ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of my finds are between 4" and 6" unless it's pretty recently dropped coins and jewelry.

You'll just never know if you don't go back.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you using? Most mid priced and up models will give you a depth guess as well as a target I.D. Try sweeping around the target without getting a signal to determine it's approximate size. You should be able to identify a pipe pretty easily doing that.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we need to know what kind of detector you are using? Most on these boards know some pretty accurate notch discriminations for in parks. Otherwise I will rent you my "Park Shovel" I know Sandman really appreciates my park prowess untitled.png

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a park then there should be coins. Keep looking. Try under the shade trees, around picnic tables and if there is a playground area then be sure to look there.

GittyRivers

Aug 2, 2013
Grants Pass Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV, and now Bounty Hunter Gold Digger and Bounty Hunter PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a bounty hunter pin pointer was really helpful to Zero in on where the object was. I was digging holes before but today did not have to dig holes. Found lots bottle caps 2 quarters and pull tab. I'm a newbie I have also a Bounty Hunter IV
Hey pgfhgs bring that to the Rogue I want dig some access trails for old lady's who want to do some panning. Sidewayshappyface

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread