Need some advice please.

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Hey everyone,
I'm buying a detector within a month,
I'm stuck on, Fisher,Kelly co, Minelab,

And I'm buying new of corse,
But I'm really amendment about getting a detector that has lots of performance!
Like all of you I look for results and capability of a detector.
I live in Atlantic Canada,
New Brunswick, beach, hills,rocky,
Lots of woods open land,
So I need a solid choice lol
Any advice would be very much appreciated.!!!!!
I'm looking for,gold,jewelry,coins large objects ect.
Something that searches deep, the deeper better.

Thanks,
OU812/Steve

Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F70, Fisher F75

Minelab Explorer SE

Not sure why you feel the need to buy new. You'll get a lot more for your money buying used.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I'm looking for,gold,jewelry,coins large objects ect.
Something that searches deep, the deeper better......

And to these factors you would no doubt add locations as being "any and all" ( beach, turf, ghost towns, etc....) Right ? How about nuggets? Would you add that in as a possible venue ?

So to say you want a machine that finds all (gold, silver), and all size objects, at all varieties of places, is .... well, a bit like asking this: What's the best car to do everything ? You want one that can go 160 mph, yet pull out stumps, and be used to shuttle the kids to soccer practice, and haul rock & gravel from the quarry if needed, etc... Eh ?

And terms like "deep" are a bit of a given. I mean, doh, who DOESN'T want a machine that goes deep ? :) But at what cost of complications and "gotchas" ? If you say your patience is endless, and you want depth "no matter what", then get yourself a minelab GPX 5000: Gauranteed you will have balls to the walls depth on everything. And gauranteed you won't miss a thing (tinsel thin chains, earing studs, etc....). And singular coins to nearly 2 ft. deep ! Who could ask for more eh ? Then you take that gpx5000 to the nearest inner city blighted park, or to a ghost town, and let us know how it does :)

If when you say "large objects", that becomes a sole focus (a serious hunt component, looking for caches), then get yourself a TM 808. But it can't be used for coin/relic/jewelry hunting though. But it's assume if you just intended to hunt for soda-can or larger objects.

If you're just talking regular coin/relic detecting, get yourself a Minelab Explorer II. You won't find that used though. The nearest modern equivalent is the CTX. But I prefer the exp. II. So that you can have an inline proble (also not currently available). But if you can find that combination on the used market, would be my choice. It's also a good beach wet-salt machine (as long as you don't dunk past knee deep at the coil).

If you're going to be spending a lot of time in ghost-townsy / ruins/ old-town demolition type stuff, then consider a silver sabre II (or its modern equivalent), or a Minelab 705 with a variety of coils. HF coils for iron-ridden sites (and now you can also double for nuggets, in a pinch !). MF for normal routine coin/park type stuff, and LF for places where you want to cherry pick for high conductors, and aren't as concerned about flitty low conductors (eg.: under bleachers, etc...). 705 not top-notch on wet salt beach though.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Minelab Explorer SE

Not sure why you feel the need to buy new......

Yes. And you list 2 machines that are supposedly replaced by the "better" CTX. Yet .... I'd much prefer the II or the SE, as doing nearly everything (except underwater). And some would argue superior tones that the newer in the lineup didn't keep. And ability to use the inline probe, etc....

Last edited:

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info Tom. Came off a little cranky, but good info never the less.

Ou812 what is your budget?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher and Minelab are both great brands.

You didn't mention a budget.

I can recommend the F-75LTD - for the coin shooting and jewelry inland type hunting that I do it is the berries. Have never had the pleasure of ocean beaches or salt-water regions so I can't comment. I've heard great things about the F-70 and the F-44 they just came out with seems good at a much lower price-point.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why you would limit yourself to new only when buying a Minelab. Their warranty IS transferable, First Texas are not. I've sold several Minelabs with 2 years warranty for a good bit cheaper (up to 40%) than new with very low hours.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm staying out of this one. There are so many good machines out there. I have a couple and want more just because "each" one has its own little secret that the other one doesn't.........guess I better work more OT for the next one!!! Good luck on your purchase and have a great time with it!!!!

OP
OP
OU812

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Sorry guys,
My budget is $700 to $1000

I know I overstated what I wanted lol

Basically a good detector that
Allows deep search,
Catches, coins and jewelry.

I live in Atlantic Canada,
Lots of beaches, woodlands,
Fields, old homesteads,
Ect

I'm just concerned after saving for one and for the amount of searching areas I would like to search, it delivers and can be confident in that product.
I'm looking for a huge golden treasure, although I really wouldn't mind that too lol lol
Just want to know its with the money is all.

Thanks
Steve
OU812

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OU, have you ever detected? Hate to recommend something so advanced you become frustrated and quit..

OP
OP
OU812

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Hi,
I think I might go with the
At Pro Gold detector,
What is your thoughts on that
One in particular?
Any good?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
I think I might go with the
At Pro Gold detector,
What is your thoughts on that
One in particular?
Any good?

AT Pro and AT Gold are two different detectors. Visit their website and check out the differences. They both work really well and have a good following of users that are happy with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread